Deathvalleysc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
E16BA071-CFF4-4790-9660-C86459427418.png
I posted this last year on the svt forums and didn’t get hardly any responses so I figured I would try here as well. Does anyone know what the part number or where to find the vibration dampers in the picture of the stock exhaust posted? They are round weights designed to stop some of the vibrations through the exhaust located on a tab behind the cats. I need 2 and can’t find them any where.
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hahahahha...impeccable timing. This always gets discussed in exhaust threads and is currently the meat of a conversation on BLine cat delete pipes. They are only available with the factory cat assembly, and if you have a ‘17 or later, they are not even bolt on/removable. So no, there’s no part number that we’re aware of.

OP
OP
Deathvalleysc

Deathvalleysc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Hahahahha...impeccable timing. This always gets discussed in exhaust threads and is currently the meat of a conversation on BLine cat delete pipes. They are only available with the factory cat assembly, and if you have a ‘17 or later, they are not even bolt on/removable. So no, there’s no part number that we’re aware of.
That’s not the info I wanted to hear but thanks for the reply. I haven’t seen this topic in any exhaust posts. If you google it you will only see my thread from SVT that I posted about a year ago which only one person responded to. I found a few salvage yards with gt350s that they were parting out. They all said that they sale them with the drivetrain. I guess I’m out of luck. If anyone runs across some or wants to sale theirs just let me know. I guess I’ll keep looking because I’m not buying full stock cats just to get them.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What do you need them for? There's a rumor that BLine is coming out with a solution for their pipes, which is what we've been discussing anyways.

OP
OP
Deathvalleysc

Deathvalleysc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
What do you need them for? There's a rumor that BLine is coming out with a solution for their pipes, which is what we've been discussing anyways.
I have the full kooks system. It has the tab to bolt them to. Ford designed the exhaust with them and kooks designed their system to use them. I figured it would be better with them than without them. I bought my car used about 1 1/2 years ago and the guy before me had a custom exhaust on it that he didn’t add them. When I put the kooks headers and exhaust on it I noticed they were missing.

Sponsored

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
I have the full kooks system. It has the tab to bolt them to. Ford designed the exhaust with them and kooks designed their system to use them. I figured it would be better with them than without them. I bought my car used about 1 1/2 years ago and the guy before me had a custom exhaust on it that he didn’t add them. When I put the kooks headers and exhaust on it I noticed they were missing.
Aha, gotcha! Just like Galaxy, I too was curious as to your need. I fully understand now, as I've had Kooks on prior GT350.
I contacted BLine few days ago and can confirm they are very soon going to offer replacement dampeners!

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
That’s awesome.Just wondering what they mean by 2018 and up. Hopefully they’ll work on a 2016. Thanks for the reply.
Yes, '18 up models the dampeners are welded on by Ford instead of bolted.as in prior yrs..So, they will soon offer these to allow replacement.

Sponsored

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, just thinking out loud here but I really wondering how effective putting on the factory damper will be on an aftermarket pipe. I am not a mechanical engineer so I don’t know all the details that are considered when designing a damper for an exhaust system that will see as much vibration as this engine has but I’m sure the design of the pipe, it’s mass, and how that particular pipe responds to certain frequencies (i.e. vibrations) is taken into consideration (I’m sure the whole exhaust systems is taken into account). I would think the aftermarket pipe has different properties so the factory damper may not really help or possibly could make things worse (I’m not saying it will make things worse, just pointing out it could be one possibility). I think who ever designs the aftermarket pipe will have to either do some engineering or experiments to verify what ever damper they put on their aftermarket pipe actually helps reduce vibration and even then I think the damper would only be properly sized for whatever exhaust setup there were working with. Any deviation from that setup makes the damper less effective.

I only bring this up because in my profession I work with a customer who designs mechanical isolators (i.e. dampers) to reduce the vibration certain electrical sensors will see during operation. From my experience working with them a lot of effort goes into getting the mechanical isolator tuned so that it minimizes the unwanted mechanical frequencies (i.e. is actually effective).

I know a lot of guys run aftermarket pipes without the damper and don’t really complain. I am not sure if the dampers are there to reduce NVH to make the overall experience better for the passengers or it is done more for a mechanical longevity type of thing. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
Deathvalleysc

Deathvalleysc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Hey guys, just thinking out loud here but I really wondering how effective putting on the factory damper will be on an aftermarket pipe. I am not a mechanical engineer so I don’t know all the details that are considered when designing a damper for an exhaust system that will see as much vibration as this engine has but I’m sure the design of the pipe, it’s mass, and how that particular pipe responds to certain frequencies (i.e. vibrations) is taken into consideration (I’m sure the whole exhaust systems is taken into account). I would think the aftermarket pipe has different properties so the factory damper may not really help or possibly could make things worse (I’m not saying it will make things worse, just pointing out it could be one possibility). I think who ever designs the aftermarket pipe will have to either do some engineering or experiments to verify what ever damper they put on their aftermarket pipe actually helps reduce vibration and even then I think the damper would only be properly sized for whatever exhaust setup there were working with. Any deviation from that setup makes the damper less effective.

I only bring this up because in my profession I work with a customer who designs mechanical isolators (i.e. dampers) to reduce the vibration certain electrical sensors will see during operation. From my experience working with them a lot of effort goes into getting the mechanical isolator tuned so that it minimizes the unwanted mechanical frequencies (i.e. is actually effective).

I know a lot of guys run aftermarket pipes without the damper and don’t really complain. I am not sure if the dampers are there to reduce NVH to make the overall experience better for the passengers or it is done more for a mechanical longevity type of thing. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
The kooks system I have actually has the tabs on it to put the dampers. If they didn’t I could see your point but I think kooks designed their system with the intention of removing the damper from the factory exhaust and adding it to theirs.

It also makes sense now that because they welded them on the 2017 and up why they would design a replacement. Thanks again for the good information.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I wouldn't put too much faith in an aftermarket exhaust company going through that much intensive R&D....they're a little more casual than that. If I had to guess, the Kooks tabs are there mostly because they talked to Ford and the engineers reiterated how much time an effort went into tuning those dampeners on the OEM system. As @loco_GT350 mentions, using the same dampener for pipes with a different header design and no cats will yield different results.

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
I wouldn't put too much faith in an aftermarket exhaust company going through that much intensive R&D....they're a little more casual than that. If I had to guess, the Kooks tabs are there mostly because they talked to Ford and the engineers reiterated how much time an effort went into tuning those dampeners on the OEM system. As @loco_GT350 mentions, using the same dampener for pipes with a different header design and no cats will yield different results.
Your "guess" is precisely right. I learned that Kooks did indeed go to work designing their header/midpipe system with much input early on from Ford engineers. Also, true, one could ponder IF of same oem weight/harmonics cancelling objective what results it yields on different header/no cat system. Totally on pt. Kevin.

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Mass is going to reduce vibration, No its not going to make things worse. Obviously it won't have identical effects to the oem exhaust.

You guys are over thinking this one imo. Put them on if you can, don't worry about it if not. There are little weights all over this car in an effort to reduce NVH.
Sponsored