Exhaust MyMode Question

AaronTV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2021 Bronco Reservation
I bought a new 2019 Bullitt in May of this year and I've got around 2500 miles on it. I LOVE this car. It puts a smile on my face literally every time I drive it.

Anyway, one "issue" has confused me. Initially, I was using MyMode to save a setting with sport steering and exhaust but normal suspension.

After driving with those settings for a while, one day I selected the "Sport+" mode and immediately noticed the exhaust now had pops and bangs when shifting around 5k rpm. Through some more trial an error, I discovered the car NEVER does these if I'm using any of the software/MyMode selectable exhaust modes, whether I have normal, sport, or track selected there.

The only way I can make it do this is by selecting Sport+ (or track) general drive mode, but that means I have to have the stiffer suspension active also.

Anyone else observe this? I want the pops but with normal suspension settings.

(to be clear, when I say pops or bangs I'm not talking about the little crackles it does in all modes when you let off the accelerator, I mean the loud, firecracker style pops)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I also have 'MyMode' set up with normal driving mode and sport exhaust mode... but with comfort steering. And my car definitely pops & crackles. And I wouldn't want any more than it does, so that's fine with me :). Only put it in sport driving mode when in the twisties (for the same reason as you), and didn't notice any difference in that sense, but will pay more attention next time.

SD-Harley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K6752
I have my MyMode setup with sport+ and it pops & crackles a lot; to me it hasn't sounded any different then when I have driven it in sport+. Have you confirmed that your MyMode status screen shows the exhaust is in sport+ mode; if it didn't save then it always defaults to normal.

OP
OP
AaronTV

AaronTV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I have my MyMode setup with sport+ and it pops & crackles a lot; to me it hasn't sounded any different then when I have driven it in sport+. Have you confirmed that your MyMode status screen shows the exhaust is in sport+ mode; if it didn't save then it always defaults to normal.
Definitely, although it doesn't say "Sport+" in MyMode, just "Sport."

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Dbl-check that the setting for MyMode saved as you expected it to. I found it initially confusing to set.

Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
To me it sounds like you are selecting normal mode with sport steering. If I have it right then your exhaust is in normal mode because of the normal mode you have selected. If I'm understanding what you are trying to achieve you will need to select normal mode, sport exhaust and steering modes then save it on my mode.

OP
OP
AaronTV

AaronTV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Dbl-check that the setting for MyMode saved as you expected it to. I found it initially confusing to set.
To me it sounds like you are selecting normal mode with sport steering. If I have it right then your exhaust is in normal mode because of the normal mode you have selected. If I'm understanding what you are trying to achieve you will need to select normal mode, sport exhaust and steering modes then save it on my mode.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys, but I definitely had it saved correctly.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Another point OP. Even if saved correctly, you need to select 'MyMode' AFTER you start the car, or it'd revert back to normal. Finally, after checking your MyMode settings, when driving, check that the 'pony' logo is showing on your tachometer, meaning the car is in that mode. By the way, the popping and crackling is only momentary (when releasing the clutch), so don't expect it all the time you're coasting/engine-braking.

OP
OP
AaronTV

AaronTV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Another point OP. Even if saved correctly, you need to select 'MyMode' AFTER you start the car, or it'd revert back to normal. Finally, after checking your MyMode settings, when driving, check that the 'pony' logo is showing on your tachometer, meaning the car is in that mode. By the way, the popping and crackling is only momentary (when releasing the clutch), so don't expect it all the time you're coasting/engine-braking.
Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of all that.

The only difference I can think of is that when I toggle to sport+ with the switch, the first setting on the screen is the 'engine' setting (presumably throttle response?) and it is, of course, set to sport+. In the MyMode setting, which I based off of normal mode but changed steering to sport and exhaust to sport, that engine setting says normal. Is it possible that the louder bangs only happen when that's in sport+ in addition to the exhaust?

I'm not aware of a way to toggle the suspension or throttle response settings, other than to switch the general modes.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
MagneRide mode AND throttle mode are both tied to driving modes, so you cannot change them individually, unfortunately. However, you can set MyMode to ANY mode you want. Just put the car on sport+, then change the exhaust to the mode you want (if different than sport), and also steering effort (I don't think you can do comfort in sport driving mode, but can do normal), and then save it, and you'd have what you want :).

I can't stand sport suspension where I live, unfortunately, so I have to drive in normal mode, where the throttle mapping sucks for rev-match downshifts. Therefore, I have to rely on the car's rev-match mode when in normal mode.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AaronTV

AaronTV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
What I actually want is normal suspension with sport steering and exhaust, which can be arranged with MyMode. But that's the topic of this thread. When set this way, the exhaust is clearly not the same as when in sport+. It's like the car is ignoring any exhaust changes made via the dash ui, even though the screen says it has changed.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
MyMode stays in sport exhaust, and I have normal driving mode as well, just with comfort steering. Something weird with your car then. I can clearly hear the change from normal mode to MyMode, which changes the exhaust from normal to sport. And it crackles too.

OP
OP
AaronTV

AaronTV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
MyMode stays in sport exhaust, and I have normal driving mode as well, just with comfort steering. Something weird with your car then. I can clearly hear the change from normal mode to MyMode, which changes the exhaust from normal to sport. And it crackles too.
To be clear, you get the 'shotgun' style bangs when you shift at higher rpm (like 4800-5200+) when in MyMode? The more subtle crackles when shifting I can hear in every mode, so that's not a problem. It's those louder bang style ones that I can't get to happen, not even once, when using MyMode. But it's nearly 100% reproducible in sport+.

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have noticed same thing too. Mine is without mag ride. But it will pop a lot more if I drive it in sport or track. It still pops if it's only the exhaust. But not as much or as loud

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The guaranteed pop/crackle happens if you let off just above 4k after aggressive acceleration. And yes, it only seems to happen in Sport/Track.
Sponsored