Mustang Bullitt 18-20 stock exhaust question

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
Finally, remember GTs have intake sound tubes into the cabin, and Bullitts have fake sound thru the speakers, so unless both are eliminated (former by removal/plugging, and latter by disabling it with FORScan), you wouldn't be comparing apples to apples
Externally you can clearly hear the difference in sound between Bullitt and GT however, so this doesn't affect anything.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Both with AE, correct? Just to be sure we're comparing apples to apples :). If that's the case, then it has to be an exhaust component. And I'm going to include the 'mapping' for the valves as such. If they still sound different in track mode (where valves are always fully open), then it has to be a different exhaust hardware component somewhere. I'm curious about this now. Ha ha.

As a side comment, wish normal mode was between quiet and sport. That would have made AE just about perfect. Quiet is very quiet, which is fine for my needs. But the difference from quiet to normal is huge, while from normal, sport, and track is minimal. I always have it in sport, but with my wife even normal is too loud, but quiet is too quiet. She'd let me use a mode between those 2. Oh well. It's still the best valved exhaust I've ever had, so can't complain :D.

Reactions: jwt

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Correction: It does not increase the peak torque from 420 to 462 ft-lbs. The peak torque of 420 ft-lbs occurs at 4600 rpm. The Ford kit increases torque by 42 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm. The GT and Bullitt only makes like 275 ft-lbs give or take at that engine rpm, so it would add 42 ft-lb to whatever the engine makes at that rpm. The curve shows that peak gains are increased by 19 hp (from 460 to 479 hp) and 18 ft-lbs torque (from 420 ft-lbs to 438 ft-lbs). A nice gain, but certainly not 42 ft-lbs peak to peak.

Any advertised hp or torque gain that doesn't say "peak hp gain" is only talking about the max gain on the curve, and is not equal to peak gain. There's a difference, so watch that closely when you buy mods in the future so you don't feel duped.

These theories that the GT350 intake will change the exhaust tone, I'm not buying. The Bullitt exhaust is likely slightly different from the GT exhaust, and thus, slightly different tone.
Ok I wasn't trying to be so specific actually but thanks. but considering both have the same torque from the factory the tune kit does put the gt over the bullitt either way so... But that was not the point of my post my point was that if some thought the sound different was a tune and parts difference i was just saying they can get those with this kit. Thats all. Just added in fords numbers for fun.

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
Both with AE, correct? Just to be sure we're comparing apples to apples :). If that's the case, then it has to be an exhaust component. And I'm going to include the 'mapping' for the valves as such. If they still sound different in track mode (where valves are always fully open), then it has to be a different exhaust hardware component somewhere. I'm curious about this now. Ha ha.

As a side comment, wish normal mode was between quiet and sport. That would have made AE just about perfect. Quiet is very quiet, which is fine for my needs. But the difference from quiet to normal is huge, while from normal, sport, and track is minimal. I always have it in sport, but with my wife even normal is too loud, but quiet is too quiet. She'd let me use a mode between those 2. Oh well. It's still the best valved exhaust I've ever had, so can't complain :D.
I wonder what Quiet would sound like with a resonator delete?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I have active and I removed my res and put in a borla switch fire which is basically straight pipes more or less. and quiet isnt bad at all, once car is warmed up can honestly not hear it running from about 20 feet away with normal backgound sounds around. I mean parked , running the inside sounds nice like just a normal car no real notable exhaust sound unless you get on it a bit.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Ok I wasn't trying to be so specific actually but thanks. but considering both have the same torque from the factory the tune kit does put the gt over the bullitt either way so... But that was not the point of my post my point was that if some thought the sound different was a tune and parts difference i was just saying they can get those with this kit. Thats all. Just added in fords numbers for fun.
But you were specific - you said the Ford kit raised the torque to 462 ft-lbs. I was correcting that error. And the intake and tune aren't likely going to change the exhaust sound - they could change the induction noise (mainly the open air element). As that other posted said above - the Bullitt exhaust is a little different giving the exhaust tone its distinctive sound.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
But you were specific - you said the Ford kit raised the torque to 462 ft-lbs. I was correcting that error. And the intake and tune aren't likely going to change the exhaust sound - they could change the induction noise (mainly the open air element). As that other posted said above - the Bullitt exhaust is a little different giving the exhaust tone its distinctive sound.
Sorry for my idiocy. Glad you were here to correct me. Not sure what I was doing trying to help. Stupid me.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Sorry for my idiocy. Glad you were here to correct me. Not sure what I was doing trying to help. Stupid me.
You're being dramatic. All I did was correct mis-information.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
You're being dramatic. All I did was correct mis-information.
Well my numbers are per ford yours are per you so... but lets not do this here. Pm me if you wish. Not our thread.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Well my numbers are per ford yours are per you so... but lets not do this here. Pm me if you wish. Not our thread.
Ha, we're doing this here because you're spreading false information. As I already explained before but you obviously didn't understand: FORD says +42 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm. The Ford Performance website also says:
  • +42 lb/ft of torque at 2,000 rpm
  • +19 hp at 6,500 rpm
  • +18 lb/ft of torque at 4,500 rpm
The Gen 3 Coyote makes peak torque at 4600 rpm. So it will not increase peak torque by 42 ft-lbs as you previously said since that increase occurs only at low rpms. At 2000 rpm, the engine only makes about 275 ft-lbs, so torque will increase to about 317 ft-lbs at that engine speed. The kit will increase peak torque only by about 18 ft-lbs, from 420 to 438 ft-lbs, give or take.

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Ha, we're doing this here because you're spreading false information. As I already explained before but you obviously didn't understand: FORD says +42 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm. The Ford Performance website also says:
  • +42 lb/ft of torque at 2,000 rpm
  • +19 hp at 6,500 rpm
  • +18 lb/ft of torque at 4,500 rpm
The Gen 3 Coyote makes peak torque at 4600 rpm. So it will not increase peak torque by 42 ft-lbs as you previously said since that increase occurs only at low rpms. At 2000 rpm, the engine only makes about 275 ft-lbs, so torque will increase to about 317 ft-lbs at that engine speed. The kit will increase peak torque only by about 18 ft-lbs, from 420 to 438 ft-lbs, give or take.
Sigh... yes I know this and like I said before was NOT the point of my original post. I just threw fords numbers in there for fun. Never used the word peak that was all you. But always one person who has something to prove and has to nit pick.. ok ok I tried not to derail the thread but you insist.. your manhood is bigger then mine you win. You are right Im wrong. Happy? I also edited my original post so you can drop it now thanks.

SOOOO Back to my point. If there are still those who think the bullitt parts might make a difference all I was trying to say was that the new calibration kit has those parts and might be something you want to look into. Sorry OP for derailing thread wasn't my doing :)

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It should sound really good. Quiet still sounds muscular, and refined. But too subdued. I did a 400-mile trip today with my wife, mostly in quiet mode. I'd leave quiet the way it is, but normal should be in-between quiet and sport. Quiet is super quiet, and normal, sport, and track are very close together. Quiet and normal are pretty much like my Corvettes and Porsche with valved exhausts were on the outside. The Vettes were quiet inside too, so not bad, but the Porsche was equally loud inside, which made no sense. At any rate, if quiet is a 1, and track a 10, normal is like a 7, and sport an 8. Normal should have been a 4, and the AE system would have been just perfect. But I'm not complaining, since this AE has been the best valved exhaust I've owned by far :D.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt

Agree 100%

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
What Ford should really do next time is just give us 90 degrees of adjustability on the valves and allow us to save THAT as an exhaust mode (call it CUSTOM or MYEXHAUSTMODE, whatever.). It shouldn't be difficult via programming I'd think.

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
I have decided that I do not like the exhaust sound coming through the speakers. Sounds cheap and fake. Looking for a solution
Sponsored