Sponsored

Exhaust Mode Selection Not Available

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
My 5 year old Nephew helps us confirm our diagnosis and keep a watch over us as we work and resolve this issue on a 2018 mustang with an active exhaust system. We also realigned the exhaust system whilst we had the car up and improve the Ford OEM Harness.

This problem is common when the exhaust is modified using a H-Pipe.

I hope you guys find the video useful.

Like and subscribe on the channel. It motivates me to get the camera out whenever i see a car that is having maintenance work being done on it and edit the clips together.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Two observations from me ... :like:

I have a MU55 plate too !

Please do a video for the removal / fitment of those black mirror caps :like:

And a question - was the H pipe replacement ā€˜cutā€™ a bit long leading to the reduced clearance / rubbing ? (Even if it wasnā€™t, is there much scope for a small reduction in length ?) Asking as I have this job to do in the future :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two observations from me ... :like:

I have a MU55 plate too !

Please do a video for the removal / fitment of those black mirror caps :like:

And a question - was the H pipe replacement ā€˜cutā€™ a bit long leading to the reduced clearance / rubbing ? (Even if it wasnā€™t, is there much scope for a small reduction in length ?) Asking as I have this job to do in the future :like:

Nice. Its the closest I can get to my full name. M. USMAN M U55MUN

A video for that is on the list of things to do. I need to repaint them as the paint quality on those is shocking. I bought them used. More dust in the paint than I ha e in my Dyson.

I think I twas cut fine, it just wasn't pushed in far enough as the owner wanted the tips to stick out a littler further.

The heat expansion of the whole exhaust system would cusse the wire to then rub.

My advice would be to mark where the hangers are resting on the exhaust hooks. That way when you come to set things back up, you align everything as it was from factory.

You would have to take the whole exhaust off and cutting should be easy with the H pipe as a template. Because the existing pipe slides into the h pipe you could in theory make it shorter or longer based on how much play you have on the hooks.

Hope this helps.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you :like:

Iā€™ve got MU55SOL :like:

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Great video about the DIY fix but surely this fix would still be covered under warranty as car is only a year old? The fact itā€™s got a H-Pipe wonā€™t make a difference to the dealer, they just replace the faulty parts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great video about the DIY fix but surely this fix would still be covered under warranty as car is only a year old? The fact itā€™s got a H-Pipe wonā€™t make a difference to the dealer, they just replace the faulty parts.
In this instance the dealer would be able to argue that the exhaust has been modified and would refuse a warranty fix.

Plus the car would have to be booked in etc so the owner just wanted to get it done himself in a couple of hours rather than have to deal with the headache of booking car in and being without it etc.

Just less headache overall.

pr8196

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Proj
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Need for Green - Custom Pack 2 with Magneride adaptive suspension, rear spoiler
Hi Guys, yesterday I got the same error on my dashboard. When I had a look to both the active Ex flaps, the passenger side flap is stuck in normal and driver side in race mode. I havent had a look yet as in if the wire harness is shot as in this instance. Last year @Modurstang Mike installed Borla switchfie X pipe on my Mustang. My mustang is 2019 plate from brand new. I am looking forward to book an appointment with nearest mustang dealer - evans halshaw bedford to get it checked, but wondering if Dealer may refuse to look it under Ford warranty as its got X pipe installed.

OP
OP
V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer would be within their rights to refuse warranty on the exhaust. Id be very surprised if the don't.

To be fair to them, if the rubbing is indeed the issue then because its beyond the point where the modification was made, you shouldn't expect a warranty claim to go through as the exhaust has been chopped up and realigned.

You should be able to repair the harness and be back on the road though.

pr8196

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Proj
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Need for Green - Custom Pack 2 with Magneride adaptive suspension, rear spoiler
Thanks mate. I did have a close look to the harness where it connects to the active exhaust device. They are way inside the place where it could get rub during the run. There is enough clearance on both the sides. On both the side wires are absolutely fine. Do you reckon there could be another fault affecting it? As I said, xpipe was added in summer last year, and since then it was fine until Friday. If it was due to the root cause you have explained in your video, then should have been faulty lot earlier (just a thought). I am expecting Modurstang are very experienced and wouldnā€™t have ignored such a thing when adding xpipe or h pipe or reinstalling exhaust.

OP
OP
V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks mate. I did have a close look to the harness where it connects to the active exhaust device. They are way inside the place where it could get rub during the run. There is enough clearance on both the sides. On both the side wires are absolutely fine. Do you reckon there could be another fault affecting it? As I said, xpipe was added in summer last year, and since then it was fine until Friday. If it was due to the root cause you have explained in your video, then should have been faulty lot earlier (just a thought). I am expecting Modurstang are very experienced and wouldnā€™t have ignored such a thing when adding xpipe or h pipe or reinstalling exhaust.
Try replacing the fuse. If the Fuse is okay, then the problem is a short which would be the harness like in the video or further back.

Im sure the workshop you took it to are very capable but i don't trust anyone to work on my car except one Paul Trickett at Fordstore Nottingham. If there is anything i cant do, he will do and usually im there to help him out.

Sponsored

pr8196

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Proj
Vehicle(s)
Try replacing the fuse. If the Fuse is okay, then the problem is a short which would be the harness like in the video or further back.

Im sure the workshop you took it to are very capable but i don't trust anyone to work on my car except one Paul Trickett at Fordstore Nottingham. If there is anything i cant do, he will do and usually im there to help him out.
Thanks Again. Iā€™ll call up Ford service tomorrow and will talk to Modurstang. I could see that there is an amber engine sign in dashboard (same as shown in your video). If itā€™s fuse, where can I buy that fuse to give a try replacing it?

pr8196

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Proj
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

pr8196

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Proj
Vehicle(s)
Just to update, think ford Guildford fixed (replaced wire loom) under warranty for free (inspire of borla x pipe). They were more than happy to fix it. They told me that they have fixed more than few of such wirelooms. The wire look get corroded and break.
Thank you Everyone for chipping in suggestions.

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Doesnt look like there is much play in those wires when installing the midpipe initially. Do you think its better to disconnect them before doing so to prevent potential damage?
Sponsored