Sponsored

Drive Select not available - see manual Error

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
I have a 2017 grabber blue auto Mustang GT. It just turned 7000 miles today since I bought it in January.
Have had no issues at all with the car until this week and had a few 'things' happen that probably need a dealer visit, however wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues. I did search but couldn't find anything.

On Friday I went out to the car which had been sitting for three days and it wouldn't start as the battery was flat. AA came out and got me going. He did a quick check on the battery and looked for any obvious issues that would cause it to go flat and all tests came back fine. I drive off and noticed that all the systems had reset themselves to factory, such as temperature in F and not C etc.

Today I had been driving in 'S' on the paddles as I normally do for about an hour when the car suddenly lost power and went into limp mode with the spanner on the dash and the message "See Manual". When I tried to accelerate it was like the clutch slipping on a manual car. I stopped turned it off and after a few seconds started the car again. Everything was fine and the error had gone. Car drove as it should. Then after another hour it did it again at speed on an A road. This time the message "drive select not available" appeared and again it went into limp mode and 'See Manual' came up again. Once again stopping at the roadside and restarting the car cleared the issue.

It seems obvious to me that the battery going flat has reset the car systems and now I am getting these errors. I've had 6 months of trouble free ownership up to this point.

Has anyone else with an Auto had these issues? Will be booking it in for a check next week in any case.
Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I have a 2017 grabber blue auto Mustang GT. It just turned 7000 miles today since I bought it in January.
Have had no issues at all with the car until this week and had a few 'things' happen that probably need a dealer visit, however wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues. I did search but couldn't find anything.

On Friday I went out to the car which had been sitting for three days and it wouldn't start as the battery was flat. AA came out and got me going. He did a quick check on the battery and looked for any obvious issues that would cause it to go flat and all tests came back fine. I drive off and noticed that all the systems had reset themselves to factory, such as temperature in F and not C etc.

Today I had been driving in 'S' on the paddles as I normally do for about an hour when the car suddenly lost power and went into limp mode with the spanner on the dash and the message "See Manual". When I tried to accelerate it was like the clutch slipping on a manual car. I stopped turned it off and after a few seconds started the car again. Everything was fine and the error had gone. Car drove as it should. Then after another hour it did it again at speed on an A road. This time the message "drive select not available" appeared and again it went into limp mode and 'See Manual' came up again. Once again stopping at the roadside and restarting the car cleared the issue.

It seems obvious to me that the battery going flat has reset the car systems and now I am getting these errors. I've had 6 months of trouble free ownership up to this point.

Has anyone else with an Auto had these issues? Will be booking it in for a check next week in any case.
My battery died on my one about 5 months back, was my fault and what a pain in the rear it was to get into the car
When i started her, Sync 3 had no sound, and a few of the settings were at default and the tires were reading 0, restarted and the Sync was ok and the tires started to read once I had driven a little way, and I have a Auto box
I don't think your issues are due to the battery being re-set, sounds more serious to me. I would take a slow drive to the dealer asap
good luck with it

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
I have a GT Auto and my battery goes flat from time to time so I have purchased a jump starter battery pack which I have now had to use when the battery was completely flat and it worked OK. See my thread.

So far I have had a partially flat battery and one time a completely flat battery.

With the partial flat battery the central door locking and boot release worked but the engine would not crank with the start button. The driver door window managed to pop down when I opened the door but would not pop up even when the car was started and the battery was charging. This cleared after a little time.

The only setting which clears that I notice is Celsius back to Fahrenheit. The trip mileage and distance travelled on the computer restores.

As an Auto I have not had any issues with drive select. I don't use manual mode much. A couple of times I have been in Sport(S) mode and accidentally clicked a paddle without noticing. When I stop at a roundabout the transmission shifts down to first by itself but when I pull away it says in first gear and I'm stuck wondering why the car is revving up but won't go.

The Ford info does say the Mustang auto "learns" your driving style and after time sets a shift pattern to match your driving. I don't know if this is true. Is it possible you are manual shifting too close the engine load or rev limit?

OP
OP
Phil_AVF

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
Is it possible you are manual shifting too close the engine load or rev limit?
Thanks for your reply. I'm just changing as normal so no, not getting anywhere near the rev limiter or downshifting under high revs. It has been perfect for 6 months but since the flat battery I'm getting errors and it runs lumpy at times. Will be taking it in to the dealer this coming week.

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
try unplugging the battery for a few minutes re plug and drive in D. See if the problem happens again.

Could it be that the gearbox, once reset, needs to learn your driving style and sport mode with manual shifting isn't helping?

just my two cents.

if the problem persists in D as well then its a bigger issue, but if its resolved in D then just drive around in D for 200 to 300 miles, then S and if the problem comes back. Dealer.
Sponsored