Ravax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Xavier
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Euro / 2017 Ecoboost Adam tuned
Hey peeps!

Just received the magnaflow comp, and AWE active bracket. Since the garages here in Greece are a bit funky, was thinking of installing the exhaust myself..

My question to you is.. is it possible with just wrenches a basic socket wrench and basic tools, and jack stands like these

Any feedback appreciated!!

Xavier
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, it sucks though. I also recommend an impact gun with decent torque, a lot of these systems use slip joints and band clamps, and it's hard to get them to actually cinch down and collapse the pipe around the inner one for a tight seal with hand tools. Definitely test all the connections for leaks before you lower the car back down.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hey peeps!

Just received the magnaflow comp, and AWE active bracket. Since the garages here in Greece are a bit funky, was thinking of installing the exhaust myself..

My question to you is.. is it possible with just wrenches a basic socket wrench and basic tools, and jack stands like these

Xavier
You just need to have the appropriate tools. I do a lot of installs in my driveway with a Daytona Harbor Freight floor jack, some wood planks (for to lowered cars) a quality set of jack stands. Craftsman tools and lots of PB Blaster. Also have a Milwaukee M18 hacksaw for any needed exhaust cutting. Tools are an investment, they pay for themselves if you do your installs yourself. I'm always wrenching and modding my vehicles on the weekends.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I did my exhaust, turbo kit, clutch and then the exhaust again on my back on jack stands. It's doable.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Hey peeps!

Xavier
It is absolutely doable. I've swapped cat-backs 3 times on S550's with nothing more than drive-on ramps, basic hand tools (socket set, box wrenches, screw driver, hammer) and a Milwaukee drill I used as a power driver (not a necessity but saves A LOT of time!). Lowering the oem exhaust and getting it off the cat mid-pipe connection is easier with an extra pair of hands, but I managed to get it done on my own by supporting the mufflers after removing the hangers to make it easier to slide the pipes back out of the clamps, also so the whole thing didn't drop to the ground once the mid pipes came free from the clamps.

Sponsored

04DarkShadowGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Hardest part is getting the stock exhaust off, its very heavy solo. If you have basic mechanical skill and can jack up a car you will be fine.

Sweetface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I have 2 different x pipes ( mild and really really loud ) and I change my exhaust out a couple times a month. I personally recommend removing the rear brackets as well , I just think it is a lot easier than trying to slide it out when by your self.

OP
OP
Ravax

Ravax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Xavier
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Euro / 2017 Ecoboost Adam tuned
It is absolutely doable. I've swapped cat-backs 3 times on S550's with nothing more than drive-on ramps, basic hand tools (socket set, box wrenches, screw driver, hammer) and a Milwaukee drill I used as a power driver (not a necessity but saves A LOT of time!). Lowering the oem exhaust and getting it off the cat mid-pipe connection is easier with an extra pair of hands, but I managed to get it done on my own by supporting the mufflers after removing the hangers to make it easier to slide the pipes back out of the clamps, also so the whole thing didn't drop to the ground once the mid pipes came free from the clamps.
Thanks man!

Ill manage somehow hehe...

Another random question... would it be worth it to have the exhaust system welded together instead of using the supplied clamps? It's a X-pipe, mid pipe and mufflers

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Thanks man!

Ill manage somehow hehe...

Another random question... would it be worth it to have the exhaust system welded together instead of using the supplied clamps? It's a X-pipe, mid pipe and mufflers
IMO, it's not worth the cost. Unless you know someone who'll do the welding for free, or at least give you a big discount on the job, the cost for just 2 simple welds at a shop isn't worth any benefit the weld would provide. A proper fitting pipe connection with a good quality clamp will be just as stable and leak free as a welded joint. Plus, having the clamped joint in the mid-pipes gives you more flexibility in lining up the muffler tips with the opening in the valance. If the system you're installing is a complete cat back you shouldn't have any issues with the clamps, most of the systems available are well engineered and fit together well enough. There are plenty of cars driving around with x-pipes from one company and axle backs from another all cut and clamped to what's left of the factory pipes and they're still fine. Welding might provide a little more peace of mind in this example, but it's not really needed.

I would absolutely prefer welds over 2 or more clamped joints close together, like when cutting out a section of pipe to put in a resonator, or piecing together a custom exhaust from pre-bent pipes, but even then I would get everything lined up where I wanted it and clamped securely in place before having it welded.

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
Hey peeps!

Xavier
Yes you can do it. I did mine with a mrt hpipe with the magna flow axle back. Just need a impact wrench

Sponsored

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I did mine solo. The hardest part is separating the oem resonator from the midpipes. After that it release the hangers and just make sure to keep the tips from scraping the concrete and the new one should be in multiple pieces for easy assembly.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
It’s easy enough Solo

TXGTPig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As everyone has already stated, yes. As mentioned, getting the stock cat back off can be trying due to its size and weight. Also, if you're doing a full bolt up cat back system, Id suggest tightening everything from the back of the car towards the front. I did mine the opposite way (front to back) the first two times and it would not stay straight. After a few miles of driving I'd notice one side or the other was hanging low. I went back, loosened everything up and then tightened from the back to the front and its been golden ever since.
Sponsored