Things With Wheels

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Thanks for the link. That is nasty. Tornadoes can tear up most anything. Guess two questions arise. Are wind and solar not only more vulnerable to damage but also is it harder for these wind & solar farms to recover. Bound to have been coal fired plants hit before.

Guess since electricity can travel the areas can import some. Perhaps from remaining coal/gas fired plants for now. I wonder what the plan is for the future after coal & gas are no longer around?

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
The true cost of mining electric car-battery metals | Watch (msn.com)

Hello; A long video. Perhaps not much new to be learned for those who have been following the minerals -battery issues.
I haven’t watched the video but yes mining lithium is hard and expensive. However, lithiums speciality is to ability to be recycled and reused. Once you have enough mining isn’t necessary.

edit: seems like it’s currently hard process to recycle oh well
Edit2: Tesla recycles all their old batteries so it is doable https://www.tesla.com/support/sustainability-recycling#:~:text=None of our scrapped lithium,and must always be followed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Repurpose them for what? Batteries?
Yes as non-auto batts.

Recycle means shredding the cells and extracting the metals, and chemicals as inputs to new cells being created. That doesn't happen.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any source on this?
im finding contrary evidence. https://www.tesla.com/support/sustainability-recycling
That's just pr designed to dupe the naive. There is some small scale recycle going on, indeed there is some research being done, but the costs are wildly upside down and uneconomic. So for all intents the recycle is not happening and won't ever happen for the foreseeable future.

Even Musk isn't so stupid as to lose giant boats of money on a pointless quest. Well except his non-profit charity called Twitter. And his non-viable software company identifying as a car manufacturer. But at least I got my thank you post card from him for the billions I gave him to prop up his company for 20 years. Solyndra just took my money and then disappeared.

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
nothing to see here. The EV business mints money...

FreeWire Technologies, a major player in the electric vehicle charging market, filed to close its headquarters and lay off all 113 employees by June 24th.

The sudden decision was filed on April 24t

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Repurpose them for what? Batteries?
Yes as non-auto batts.
Do you have any source on this?
Hello; There are pages of discussion and supplied links on the topic within this forum in other threads. This back an d forth has been going on for some time. One previously popular idea was for removed auto battery packs which are not good enough to run vehicles to be stacked up and used as energy storage backup for the grid.

Recycling battery packs apparently is very difficult for some packs and less difficult for others. Much depends on how the cells are packed together. My recall is not sure, but I seem to think Seems regardless none are simple to recycle into components. As shogun32 mentioned the verbage around appears sometimes to diffuse criticism. I have seen reports of test centers and experimental recycling programs startups on small scale. Near as I can tell so far, the reality of EV battery recycling is too uncertain. I fear it will be much like plastic recycling verbiage has been for so long, more to placate the environmentally conscious than a real thing. Too bad.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello; On short notice i find this link. Granted it does not touch the EV battery recycling issue at all, so is a side track of questionable value to the current discussion. Perhaps only worth a small bit as illustrative of the way we have and are being misled in service of agendas.

Recycling Eco-Myths Is the Existential Threat (msn.com)
I’m aware the eco world saving/global warming stuff is partial BS and plenty of money is squandered and even effectively stolen like the $7b Biden gave for like 7 charging stations. But there are genuine products that work. Here’s Tesla recycling efforts in 2023.
1716509327636-8s.png

Also Tesla only wanted to charge $30K per station, imagine how much they could do with $7b. https://electrek.co/2022/04/15/tesla-cost-deploy-superchargers-revealed-one-fifth-competition/

I’m not here to shill EV vehicles are 100% superior vehicles and god send to environment, but they do have plenty of benefit and may work for certain demographics of people depending on where they live. Higher crash safety, lower cost to drive depending on your electricity cost, low maintenance, insane amount of torque (we love the v8 torque right???)

I believe the model S then the model 3 and model y each effectively broke the nhtsa 5 star rating because of how well they performed.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Cannot have reliable comments about Tesla as i do not follow. I do see contradicting news flashes about the company. latest news flashes were about the supercharger team being fired en mass and later re-hired. Do not know if such is true.
Tesla only wanted to charge $30K per station, imagine how much they could do with $7b.
Hello; Guess one of my questions will be whose money is the $30K per station. I know whose money the $7 billion was/is. People who pay taxes, many who do not have an EV, are on the hook for that extra seven billion of new debt. If we move on from battery recycling this business of spending other peoples monies to support EV infrastructure could be a topic. Likley will be contentious however.
I risk be wrong but do not think a gas/diesel service station gets the same sort of monies to install new pumps. A ploy one of the now silent champions used before was to throw in common tax breaks and other such which all businesses can claim to use against fossil fuel companies. The ploy tried to imply these things in common use by most, if not all companies were special funding of big oil and coal. Several, including myself, see these "special" EV or green energy fundings to be in a very different class of spending.

Back during Covid huge amounts of funds were placed on various tables for easy grab. So all sorts of schemes and money making tactics popped up to take advantage. Seems the same sort of thing is happening with EV and green energy funding. Some are quick to position so as to grab handfuls with poor outcomes. I do not know the money trails involved so that seven billion dollars only gets us seven charging stations. Makes me think of a public toilet costing huge money being roasted on alate night comedy show.
The EV business mints money...

FreeWire Technologies, a major player in the electric vehicle charging market, filed to close its headquarters and lay off all 113 employees by June 24th.

The sudden decision was filed on April 24t
Hello; I expect more of such to happen.
Sponsored