HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
What about the tire particles from big pickups and SUVs? That doesn't count, despite out-selling EVs by more than 20 to 1?
You are asking the wrong questions.

The first should be why would ANY Mustang owner care about or think that tire rubber "pollution" was a bad thing?

Raise your hand if you do not like and have never participated in smokey burnouts, donuts, drifting, any form of racing.

This thread at its comedic best!
Sponsored

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
You are asking the wrong questions.

The first should be why would ANY Mustang owner care about or think that tire rubber "pollution" was a bad thing?

Raise your hand if you do not like and have never participated in smokey burnouts, donuts, drifting, any form of racing.

I think youโ€™re missing the point here. EVs are touted as emissions free, yet the tire particulates from them are actually worse than a new ICE carโ€™s exhaust emissions according to a recent study. We all love burnouts, thatโ€™s not the issue haha. Itโ€™s the hypocrisy that is pouring out from our federal government.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE

I think youโ€™re missing the point here. EVs are touted as emissions free, yet the tire particulates from them are actually worse than a new ICE carโ€™s exhaust emissions according to a recent study. We all love burnouts, thatโ€™s not the issue haha. Itโ€™s the hypocrisy that is pouring out from our federal government.
Hello; Lots of points to be made along with many viewpoints. Not so bad as the old perception story of five blind men trying to describe an elephant after only touching a small portion of the animal.
Correct me if I am wrong but back a bunch of threads/posts one of the big advantages of an EV was touted as the instant torque backed up with ability to apply big HP and thus shred tires. Pretty sure one or more EV owners has posted about this. Got a feeling some folks will be doing tire burnouts in their EV's.
At the same time EV's are being touted as planet savers. From only a narrow tailpipe perspective the EV is very clean as there is no tailpipe. So, one set of blind advocates can only perceive this aspect. I have seen on TV EV ads which tout this very thing.

Of course, with some diligence anyone can search thru various threads on this site alone and get the other side of the story. No tail pipe does not equal to no pollution. Hence after a time my call that an all EV fleet will basically trade one set of pollutants for another. I also suspect the EV set may in some ways be worse.

This may be fodder for a different thread altogether. Not a new thought tho. EV's and green energy are become a type of belief system for many so much that facts or truths get shuttled outside that belief system. My career as a public school teacher involved the use of science programs such as NATURE and/or NOVA. Those programs for sure are no longer "pure" science. There can be science in the programs but pretty much inevitably some of the agendas show up. Often not in a very subtle manner.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
A pragmatic rethink of Britainโ€™s electric vehicle switch is desperately needed (msn.com)

Hello; An interesting read is a sense it lays out the story possibly in a fresh way. Not much new for those who have been following the various EV threads.

Perhaps the "range extender" car notion is a bit novel. Not the first time something similar has ben done. I recall a story where a generator was stuffed in the back of an EV by an owner. I think the owner had the portable generator running when the EV was parked.
Plug in hybrids are around and would do a similar job. last time I did a 200 mile search for plug in hybrids for sale I found only a few and all were well over $50K.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Early retirement of old vehicles won't save the planet, says study (msn.com)

Hello; My first impression of this link is it is a silly idea. My second thought is even sillier notions have become mandates so maybe better pay attention.
Not much detail so I must guess. A cap of 15 years service for vehicles in order to speedup adoption of mandated vehicles (reads EV's to me) appears to be the basic idea.

Both my current vehicle are over 15 years old. Both in good running condition. I have been shopping for a new vehicle for a bit so lets consider what such a rule (law) might mean. As it is dealers do not want to offer me much for trade in. They say my 23 year old car will just go to auction, so i balk at that. Again, I am guessing without a real understanding but an age cap on used vehicles would mean dealers do not have to take in old trades at all.

Does this silly rule idea mean at year 16 I cannot register my old car any more? How will they keep my old cars off the road? What about classic Mustangs and other classic cars? This silly idea is one i do not see gaining traction.

Last thought. There is a big environmental advantage of keeping older vehicles in good running condition on the road. There are two areas where a vehicle affects the environment. For ICE it is mainly tailpipe emissions most in focus. For EV's it is how the electricity is made (generated) and perhaps long term battery replacement.

But for any vehicle there is an environmental cost of manufacture. The steel and other durable parts must be mined, refined, shaped, assembled transported and more. My 2001 small car is 23 years old. Every year i keep it on the road prevents the impact of environmental of making a new replacement. Even if my car had changed hands as many do, it likely would still be on the road. Pickup trucks even more so. I see beat up old trucks often.
What am I saying? This idea of capping the age of vehicles in order to force adoption of new types of vehicles (EV's I figure) is, to me, a form of delusion. EV's are idealized by some as being clean and green. In this current "real" world not so clean or green. Too much electricity from coal. Maybe a bit greener and cleaner in a far off imagined future where all electricity comes from green energy such as wind or solar.

Dare I add that much if not most of the "green" materials comes from the biggest users of coal. China & India. Enough from me.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The 48amp charger costs $450 from Tesla. This may be rebatable from your local provider. I paid $500 for an electrician to install wiring from the breaker into my garage and the Tesla charger.
Hello; Saw this today. An alternative to using the breaker box panel to power up an EV charger. No mention of cost I could find in the link. If feasible would help those homeowners who do not have around 50 amps free in their current breaker box.

Much would depend on the location of the power head at the property and its position in relation to where an EV could be parked. Would be a bit awkward at my place but doable. I would have to leave the EV out in the open and find a way to suspend or bury the wire from the power head to the vehicle.

Guess I am in favor of workarounds for these charger problems even if not very clean or elegant. I will voice a complaint again about EV adoption. The mandated dates certain are set too soon for many folks.
Even someone such as I will have to do a home charger in either a costly or risky manner. I have a private house with its own individual power service. My breaker box is in the basement garage. I could have a charger on the wall next to the breaker box. I could park an EV within a few feet of that position. I do not want an EV in my basement garage under my house for risk of fire. Even if EV's prove to be less fire prone overall than an ICE they are so much harder to extinguish. Essentially near impossible.

So, I want the EV away from my home. That will cost some extra if i run from the breaker panel in my basement. Something like a 06 gauge set of wires run to a separated carport. My guess is from 100 to 125 feet of that wire with a portion needed to be buried and run under a sidewalk. Likely will cost a bit. But I am better off than many in this regard.

Many, if not most, will be worse off than I am. Renters in apartment buildings. Homeowners with no free amps in their breaker box. Folks with private homes whose parking is not handy to a power source.
Folks with two, three or more vehicles in use every day. You know. Mom, dad kids and such. Do they take turns or have multiple chargers? I can picture an entire new separate powerhead service needed at the cost of many thousands itself.

I can see a transition to EV's making sense over some time. Have new construction be set up with charging in mind. Have remodeling of homes include charging. Have rebuilding of homes after fires or tornadoes include charging. Guess these things could be mandated and continue to drive up the cost of homes even more. Will not happen by 2035.

I suspect few will get by for under $1K as Freedom was. I guess if pushed into a corner of needing a new vehicle with only EV's for sale and not being able to afford a remote charger at my carport. I would have to charge in my basement and sleep directly over the EV.

Adding an EV Charger to Your Home Is About to Get Easier (msn.com)

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
6 AWG wire too small for 48A charging? : r/evcharging (reddit.com)

Hello; This has further confused me. Only read the first few posts to get the gist of the link. Let me back up some. My home was built back in the 1970's maybe. Not sure. Likely built by a coal miner. Has a shower in the basement and some roof bolts drilled thru a retaining wall next to the driveway.
There is a stick built carport not too far from the house. Twelve 4x4 posts on a concrete pad with a stick built roof. Has an old electric cable run from the breaker box to the carport. Currently two 110 outlets and four standard light sockets. I have been considering the last few years to replace the old wire. Partly to upgrade and partly to bury it. Works OK for what it is.

Got to thinking (part of my problem) why not run remote charger wire heavy enough gauge to run an EV charger maybe 100 to 125 feet. Secondarily maybe could set up a 220 outlet for power equipment in the meantime as I may never have an EV.
Anyway I have been figuring on a 50 amp breaker. Some things I read seem to suggest 60 amps. distance dictates the gauge of wire as well is my take. Go longer and likely need heavier wire to carry the amps. I begin to understand why it is common to put the charger in close to the breaker box if you can.

May have an out (option) on the wire. May be the EV charger can be set to charge at fewer amps. I read 40 amps rather than 48 amps somewhere. Guess that slows the charge time which is not such a big deal maybe. Might be able to use lighter wire.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
6 AWG wire too small for 48A charging? : r/evcharging (reddit.com)

Hello; This has further confused me. Only read the first few posts to get the gist of the link. Let me back up some. My home was built back in the 1970's maybe. Not sure. Likely built by a coal miner. Has a shower in the basement and some roof bolts drilled thru a retaining wall next to the driveway.
There is a stick built carport not too far from the house. Twelve 4x4 posts on a concrete pad with a stick built roof. Has an old electric cable run from the breaker box to the carport. Currently two 110 outlets and four standard light sockets. I have been considering the last few years to replace the old wire. Partly to upgrade and partly to bury it. Works OK for what it is.

Got to thinking (part of my problem) why not run remote charger wire heavy enough gauge to run an EV charger maybe 100 to 125 feet. Secondarily maybe could set up a 220 outlet for power equipment in the meantime as I may never have an EV.
Anyway I have been figuring on a 50 amp breaker. Some things I read seem to suggest 60 amps. distance dictates the gauge of wire as well is my take. Go longer and likely need heavier wire to carry the amps. I begin to understand why it is common to put the charger in close to the breaker box if you can.

May have an out (option) on the wire. May be the EV charger can be set to charge at fewer amps. I read 40 amps rather than 48 amps somewhere. Guess that slows the charge time which is not such a big deal maybe. Might be able to use lighter wire.
You can set the max amperage down from 48 to whatever u want on the ev charger. At least for most brands Iโ€™ve seen. Otherwise you can set the rate manually from the Tesla app. Continuous charging suggest you derate by 20%. So a 50 amp breaker means you should charge at 40 amps.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Is that the sound of a million eco activists crying out in terror and then being silenced?

researchers say they've found a lithium mother lode -- in Pennsylvania fracking wastewater.

It turns out that the Marcellus Shale -- a long swath of sedimentary rock in the northeastern United States that holds huge amounts of frackable gas -- holds huge quantities of lithium too.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Is that the sound of a million eco activists crying out in terror and then being silenced?

researchers say they've found a lithium mother lode -- in Pennsylvania fracking wastewater.

It turns out that the Marcellus Shale -- a long swath of sedimentary rock in the northeastern United States that holds huge amounts of frackable gas -- holds huge quantities of lithium too.
Hello; Be nice about now if a few of the champions did not have us on ignore. I would like to read some contrary comments. From my initial take this can be a boon to both cleaner natural gas use and to lithium battery production in the USA. A win for clean electricity production and for EV and cordless power tool production.
If the Li supply is truly significant production in the USA ought to be done under tighter environmental regs than in China and other places. Ought to keep us from being at the mercy of other places, who might not like us anyway, in terms of supply chain.

Natural gas is known to be very clean. Just a few decades ago the clarion cry was switch to natural gas for electricity production.

I live on the edge of TN, KY and VA. In the last few decades a lot of natural gas located. Not sure if fracking is used but do think so.

I tend to go with the seuth sayers who predict a low overall EV percentage of our transportation. With some luck the draconian mandates will be overturned and EV's will be allowed to find a niche on merit. Not forced on us because of a faulty agenda.

Coal fired power plants are best suited to a steady level of output. Natural gas can be turned on and off much more quickly to meet demand times. As solar and wind become proven they can potentially take up some of the load. We could have a well balanced power production system using them all.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Youโ€™re Wrong About EV Fires (msn.com)
Hello; love or hate it the internet tracks us. I read and posted the previous link and minutes later another link shows up.

Not sure if this is another lipstick article or not. Read and judge for yourself. Seems Sweeden keeps track of what type cars burn. Seems ICE are something like 39 times more likely to catch fire over an EV.
I think we are to take away that EV's are not a fire hazard. I could stretch and spin things and perhaps make an almost honest case against this but will not. I do not want them to be more fire prone. The only thing about the fire issue is where i would park an EV. Safer or no they are near impossible to put out. I may never have one but if I do it will be parked away from my house.

I will keep watching to see how EV's fare when (if) they are a bigger percent of the total vehicles. I do follow the articles point that older vehicles seem more fire prone.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Multiple wind turbines completely shredded, one on fire, power pole stumps left behind with entire poles gone.

Tornadoes doing what tornado do. How many years are these poor people going to be without power? If only there was a big battery...

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
If only there was a big battery...
Hello; A plan, as posted on here some time back, is to use folks personal EV's as battery backups. if i recall correctly EV's will be able to draw a charge and also send a charge back into the grid. Someone found this little tidbit and posted about it on here some time ago.
Not clear to me then and even now if this plan was meant to be generally known back then. but once the info was outted, then a champion or two rose to a defense. By that logic the gasoline we pay for in our tanks can be siezed by authorities.
Let me be clearer. This plan was not for emergencies by the way. This is to be an ongoing plan for when the sun does not shine, and the wind does not blow. You know, every day.

But I guess this is not the sort of battery you mean.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Multiple wind turbines completely shredded, one on fire, power pole stumps left behind with entire poles gone.
Hello; been away from news today. Where & when did this happen?
Sponsored