Sponsored

"Entry Level" Performance 2020 Mustang Coming -- Mustang ST?

Steeda23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Yeah but it sounds awful, even amongst its 4 cyl turbo peers. I'm always looking for the swarm of insects when I hear one.
I don't get that impression at all. My RS with totally stock exhaust has nice resonance and depth - unlike fart can / aftermarket crap so many 4 bangers have. Plus, the active exhaust gives it a "full bodied sound" (if there is such a thing) at high revs.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get that impression at all. My RS with totally stock exhaust has nice resonance and depth - unlike fart can / aftermarket crap so many 4 bangers have. Plus, the active exhaust gives it a "full bodied sound" (if there is such a thing) at high revs.
I've heard many RS in person. From the outside it's not fart can but very buzzy and lacking in character. Of course, my opinion, but that kind of sound is really unsuited to the Mustang. It's the primary reason why I didn't buy an EB PP.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
All I can say is , Ford needs an entry level performance Mustang that can be purchased at any dealer at a reasonable price. We have gone too long without an LX type Mustang.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

Sponsored

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
In the spirit of this thread how about a high mileage Mustang for the global warming folks. As a tribute to the outgoing Fiesta it can be the Mustang Siesta. A 2-cylinder, belt-driven car that gets 75 MPG and capable of running on Corona if you can't make it to a gas station. Made in Mexico of course...

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
If it is based on some version of the Cosworth 2.3 that was in the RS, hopefully they put the right head gaskets on.

Also no one was able to defeat the start/stop on the RS that I remember even in forscan.

So every startup you hit the stop/start off button and sport mode minimum.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
55th-se-jpg.jpg

Ford always recycles as much as possible even for special additions

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
2020 Ford Mustang getting 'entry-level' performance model
What could 'entry-level' mean?

1572ddd0-57b4-11e9-9ffb-4cb6216b75a0.jpg

There's no question that the Shelby GT350 and GT500 Ford Mustangs are spectacular performance machines, but they're out of reach for many people. It seems Ford has a solution, having just announced an "entry-level" performance 2020 Ford Mustang is on the way. But that's all the company said about it.

Naturally, this has our speculation gears turning furiously. We can safely assume that this Mustang won't be as powerful or as fast as a GT350 or GT500. It's also hard to imagine Ford creating another derivative of the regular V8 Mustang, since the company already offers two levels of Performance Packages, plus the higher-power Bullitt, to say nothing of the wide assortment of factory Ford Performance parts available.

That has us thinking that it must be based on the four-cylinder Mustang. It would be neat to see something priced below the current Performance Package model that retails at just under $30,000, but that's fairly unlikely. What seems more likely is a hotter four-cylinder model with a bit more power, and possibly some of the Mustang GT Performance Package 2 goodies. Getting the four-pot Mustang to at least 350 horsepower seems like a reasonable goal, since the Focus RS can make that power with a similar engine. Coupled with the chassis tweaks and aerodynamic upgrades of the Performance Package 2, it could be a very interesting vehicle. To keep it viable, though, Ford would probably have to keep the price below the GT's $36,000 base price.

This of course is all just educated guesswork on our parts until Ford provides the official information. Considering the announcement's proximity to the New York Auto Show, we imagine we'll have more details near the show date.
I would like to see a Performance package come stock with a bigger Turbo, IC, internals and more aggressive tune from the factory. I am not one to modify cars and would rather leave them stock so a factory option for more power is the only option for me.

The 944 Turbo is a great car but the 944 Turbo S is an awesome car. It appears the Ford Mustang Ecoboost will finally get a Turbo S option with more power from the factory than regular Turbo models. The Ecoboost is the most balanced Mustang ever produced so giving it more power from the factory and making a true performance model will be a welcome addition to the awesome Mustang family.

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
Ford can’t just add the Ford Performance tune developed for the ‘18-‘19 Ecoboost (which is already stronger than the stock Focus RS engine) and charge $5k more for it than the standard Ecoboost.

The value would come from adding GT PP brakes, maybe GT PP2 suspension/magneride/wheels, etc., but even then it’s a close call.

Of course, a performance mild hybrid (electric start/boost) version of the Ecoboost (adding ~30 HP/100 lb/ft TQ over the Ford Performance tune, with very little additional weight) would make a hell of a compelling value, but I’m not holding my breath.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The value would come from adding GT PP brakes, maybe GT PP2 suspension/magneride/wheels, etc., but even then it’s a close call.
Agreed, cross-checking against Chevy's 1LE package with it's $4500 premium would require no less than
  • oil cooler
  • diff cooler
  • trans cooler
  • PP brakes
  • FP Track setup (M-FR3A-M8A)
  • better turbo characteristics (ie doesn't fall off a cliff - VW can do it, surely Ford can)
The PP suspension isn't anything to write home about.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
A LX Mustang 5.0 would be good. Cloth seats, wind up windows, one base radio, a/c. All season radials to keep price down. Limit exterior colors to 3 etc.. Power windows=only option.

$29k base price.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
A LX Mustang 5.0 would be good. Cloth seats, wind up windows, one base radio, a/c. All season radials to keep price down. Limit exterior colors to 3 etc.. Power windows=only option.

$29k base price.
You can get exactly that right now after discounts.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
What if...
The SV0 is a new Ford Performance Mustang, (like the GT350 and GT500), but a turbocharged monster (450tq) with the GT350 underbits & CF..?

Entry level FordPerformance for @ $50k...

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
W
Doesn't matter what you call it,ANY Mustang with a 4 or 6 Banger in it is NOT a performance Mustang,just a wanna be,and when Ford makes one with batteries that will be even worse,maybe they can name it the MTS Mattel toy special !!
What would you call this?

Monterey-Spotlight-36-copy-1200x800.jpg
Sponsored