Sponsored

"Entry Level" Performance 2020 Mustang Coming -- Mustang ST?

Spoolie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 ecoboost
If it is based on some version of the Cosworth 2.3 that was in the RS, hopefully they put the right head gaskets on.

Also no one was able to defeat the start/stop on the RS that I remember even in forscan.

So every startup you hit the stop/start off button and sport mode minimum.
Big deal? So you have to hit a button

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Big deal? So you have to hit a button
Wrong head gasket installed from factory? Yes.

Hitting start/stop button and sport mode on every startup? No. I was simply letting the previous poster know that forscan did not cure it on the RS.

Glad the GT does not have it.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
If it is based on some version of the Cosworth 2.3 that was in the RS, hopefully they put the right head gaskets on.

Also no one was able to defeat the start/stop on the RS that I remember even in forscan.

So every startup you hit the stop/start off button and sport mode minimum.
The head gaskets were changed for 2018 (my RS - a 2018 LE - has the "right" headgasket)
A simple tune can defeat autostart - piece of cake.

Sponsored

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
My idea of "entry level" or a basic Mustang is what was called a 1989 LX when I bought my first car. It is a car that has the performance but not the luxury features of the GT.
89LX-1.jpg

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My idea of "entry level" or a basic Mustang is what was called a 1989 LX when I bought my first car. It is a car that has the performance but not the luxury features of the GT.
89LX-1.jpg
My first Mustang was an '89 LX. It was a Saleen orphan. Saleen ordered too many and had to unload them on regular dealers. Ford was nice enough to ship them directly to the dealers who adopted them.

From your window sticker, real big of Ford to not charge for the radio delete when you got a radio. LoL

Dmesser92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
More than likely it will be a beefed up 2.3L Ecoboost. Although I would love to see a twin turbo V6 make its debut in the line up. If they could keep the price below the GT it would be a compelling alternative. At least to those that value performance and handling over the V8 exhaust note.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Which is about $26k in today's money. The problem is that a lot of 1989 "luxury" features are standard/safety features for today's cars. No one is buying a crank window, am radio, non-ac car.
I think the car had an air-bag, and it certainly had air conditioning. It is not hard to use the crank to lower the window. I agree most guys today like the luxury stuff, but this thread is for a guy who just likes the performance over the additional stuff.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I think the car had an air-bag, and it certainly had air conditioning. It is not hard to use the crank to lower the window. I agree most guys today like the luxury stuff, but this thread is for a guy who just likes the performance over the additional stuff.
If it was an 89 then no it did not have an airbag. Passive restraint systems (airbags, or motorized shoulder belts) were not mandatory until 1990. I had an 89 back in 89 that I bought new and it did not have airbags.

Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Doesn't matter what you call it,ANY Mustang with a 4 or 6 Banger in it is NOT a performance Mustang,just a wanna be,and when Ford makes one with batteries that will be even worse,maybe they can name it the MTS Mattel toy special !!
Lol, another 5.0-bro type trying to bash EBs and V6s. If you're all about performance, why did you get a Mustang GT instead of a GT350? Are you just a wanna be?

Isn’t it funny how GT and ecoboost owners add R style wings, R knock off wheels, gt350 track pack wings, gt350 wheels, gt350 red ignition switch covers, gt350 inspired splitters, rocker aero, fenders or fender vents, deck lid panels, red or silver grille and deck lid emblems etc.

Never seen a gt350/r owner add anything from a gt.
I've owned both.

A GT350 is about as similar to that GTPP as the GTPP is to an EcoBoost.

You can go on and on about how you can add parts to the GTPP and swap this and that, but you'll never give it the character of the voodoo.
You can just drive your mommies mustang around and I’ll drive my award winning, track proven, attention getting, heritage, history making, one of a kind engine, high reving, best handling, every magazine-social media-car editor-news media’s choice award winner, that will keep its value far more better than your GT.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Since Ford is a for-profit business and keeping the expenses down is good for profit, I don't see Ford investing time to put a TT V6 in the Mustang when they can just throw in something like the For Performance tune to get ~350HP and charge more for it. People test driving both it and the base tune will notice the difference. Pretty much zero investment needed from the Ford side and CAFE numbers should be about the same as well.

S550Tomcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Since Ford is a for-profit business and keeping the expenses down is good for profit, I don't see Ford investing time to put a TT V6 in the Mustang when they can just throw in something like the For Performance tune to get ~350HP and charge more for it. People test driving both it and the base tune will notice the difference. Pretty much zero investment needed from the Ford side and CAFE numbers should be about the same as well.
I don't think this will have a V6. When Ford dropped the V6 from the lineup it allowed them to lower the hood on the refresh. The 60 degree bank of the V6 made it the tallest engine under the hood. My guess is they would run into the same problem with the 2.7 or 3.0 Ecoboost. I think it is a more powerful version of the 2.3.

SoFloEco

5 Liters of Love!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime HPP Ecoboost Mustang
IBTL

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I would love to see the entry-level performance Mustang as an EBPP2 - lacking 4 cylinders but little else from the GTPP2. I don't know if the 3.73's are necessary or beneficial with the EB, so that would be a call to make after testing. To further keep costs down, I would make the splitter/spoiler/combo an option, as well as the 19x11 wheels. 19x10 would be standard to separate the EBPP2 from every other option package that comes with 19x9's. Single exhaust with center exit to keep weight down - who needs duals on a 4-cyl?

This is as close to how I was building mine as I could get when the '18 order banks closed. I ended up buying an abandoned special order car that was more highly optioned, but had everything I needed - EBPP, Magneride, and A10. Only the Brembo brakes and wider wheels are missing from an otherwise perfect car, and I have already corrected the wheel situation.
Sponsored