Enhance or replace B&O sound system in 2020 GT

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
If I was back in Houston I'd have at least 2 guys who would find this a fun challenge but here just me so I can write a check to a reputable (key word here) shop.
Basically, yes. And hope you find a good one that is deliverying quality work Not all professional shops do that. Just look at the 911 shows from 5StarCarStereo or the corresponding videos from PSSound on youtube.

And yes, it will cost a lot of money to get it done, but usually you get a discount when you buy both the equipment and the install as a package at the shop.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
When playing Pink Periodic Noise through CarPlay i get the same results as when i play them directly out of REW.
If you got massive problems i would look at settings and question the source quality of the files.
Lossless rips trough iTunes are no problem qualitywise if all filters are disabled in your iPhone for the playback of music.
Problems are not massive just for the hoopla of having some B&O system in Sync 3 there's no equalizer settings or even bass boost just the standard treble. mid, bass settings, fade meh stuff. Sounds fairly good just not what I would expect from something with all those speakers and sub in the back. fwiw while I have a nice vintage sound system and want a nice car audio I'm a musician on the side not a super audio nerd, like audio nerd lite. So I appreciate all the good advice really, I just can't sling the lingo as well but always willing to learn more.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
To put in perspective I didn't by my GT with PP1 for the sound system. Keeping it real here, it's about the ride not the tunes. Still if Ford is going to charge for an "upgraded" sound system it should sound upgraded and at least better than a stock sound system in a 2015 Passat. After I do my own upgrades like a CAI or Xpipe, helmet, roll bar, etc. then I'll stock the cookie jar fund for a truly "upgraded" sound system. Meantime each time I put the Active Exhaust in Sport mode I have a nice tune that makes me smile.

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
B&O upgrade is easy...

1.)
Get a Pac-Audio AmpPro AMP4-FD21 with the optical out add-in.
Get a DSP or DSP amplifier with at least 6 amplified channels and two RCA outputs and sufficient power on at least two of the 6 channels (90Watts+).
Get a good 3-way speakerset up front (f.e. Focal Flax Evo 3-way set).
Get some speaker adapters (no MDF adapters please!).
Get a powered or passive subwoofer and an amp (in case of a passive sub).
Get sound proofing and deadening material.
Get power, ground- and speaker cables and all the related materials.

2.)
strip the interior of your car, seats, rear seats, panels, door panels... everything.
Sound deaden/proof all surfaces.
Build an amp rack and fit amps on it and wire them correctly.
Route the cables to where they belong (Powerwire to battery, ground wire to common ground, speaker wires to the corresponding speaker location, remote wire to your Pac-Audio AmpPro, RCAs to your AmpPro, RCAs from DSP/DSP-amp to amplifiers etc.).
Fit speakers into doors and sub into trunk where it belongs.
Disconnect the center speaker.
Connect everything together.
Put everything back into the correct location in into the car (panels, mats, seats, everything).

3.)
Set basic crossovers in the DSP for the tweeter.
Measure polarity of speakers (did you wire them the correct way?).
Measure raw response of your drivers.
Set acoustical crossovers based on the raw measurements (you did have a basic crossover setting for your tweeter, right?).
Remeasure if the acoustical slopes align with your desired 24LR slopes.
Measure distance of each speaker driver to the tip of the stationary microphone.
Do the math and put in the distance either as distance or delay in ms into your DSP.
EQ each driver to your desired individual drivers target curve.
EQ each side to your desired overall target curve.
Remeasure several times that you didn't miss something.

If all of this is too much for you (and yes, this is just abreviated), go to a reputable shop in your area and let them do all of this for you.
So $1800 and a ton of hours if you do it yourself, or $3800 if you hire a shop. That's easy like cosmetic chemotherapy.
Glad I got the 2017 GT Premium which had decent sound out of the box.
:crackup: 🗣🎧

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
So $1800 and a ton of hours if you do it yourself, or $3800 if you hire a shop. That's easy like cosmetic chemotherapy.
Glad I got the 2017 GT Premium which had decent sound out of the box.
:crackup: 🗣🎧
My 2016 GT Premium with shaker system did not have decent sound out of the box.
But some think music coming directly out of the speakers of the phone is decent sound, and some think you need better speakers to get decent sound. Each to their own i guess.

Sponsored

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
But some think music coming directly out of the speakers of the phone is decent sound, and some think you need better speakers to get decent sound. Each to their own i guess.
Ouch you paid for premium sound on 2 Mustangs and hated them both. What got you to try a second time?

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
When I'm backpacking in the middle of BFE my phone sounds great :) When I'm at home with 5k in speakers? The tinny speakers out of the same hardware drives me nucking futs.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Ouch you paid for premium sound on 2 Mustangs and hated them both. What got you to try a second time?
If the sound system was a stand-alone upgrade you’d have a valid point. But you can’t get Nav, BLIS, RCTA and other options without upgrading to the Technology package.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
No, in the EU it comes automatic. There is no Mustang with EU spec without the upgraded speaker system.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Like others who got their cool new GT promoted with that "great" B&O 9 speaker system I'm quite underwhelmed. Meh. I've tried looking around this forum for info on either fixing what's there or just replacing the sound system all together. I don't see what I'm hunting. fwiw I an NOT a car audio install myself guy. I don't mind paying for good work and like everyone else I hate paying for crappy results. Advice, suggestions, hints or tips??? I'm also a musician and this thing is a wiener.

Before you do anything, turn the bass down to only 25% and I turned the mids down a tad. I ran a pink noise generator in my 2020 Ford Escape with the B&O and it was way to bass heavy and muddy. I had to turn the bass quite a bit to get it to flatten out. Now it is clear and still quite punchy. Who ever equalized these things from the factory must have been an idiot.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
That is a very clean install.
Nice, Nice! this is the kind of work my old Houston car buddies can do but I'm up here in Indy and they're down there. I was in my daily driver (Passat) today with Amazon Music HD going and though "shit this sounds way better than my GT", just meh.

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The B& O with 1000watts is plenty good for me, but I drive with my windows open and rather listen to my 'active exhaust' 90% of the time. If I spend extra dollars it won't be on the sound system.
Sponsored