Sponsored

Engine ticking while driving under low acceleration. 2019 GT Premium, manual. 13k Miles.

Beastang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
6G Mustang, 6G Bronco
So, let me start by saying I have seen the comments and threads about the ticking on the 5.0

I am seeing mixed comments though. Some saying the common "typewriter" tick is at idle, and heard from outside of the car.

Mine sounds like a lifter tick, and only happens when driving under low acceleration. So for example, if I am cruising in 3rd gear at 35-40, with very little pedal pressure, I can hear the tick. As soon as I give it a bit more gas, ticking is gone.

Oil is fresh and at the correct level.

Is this something I should be concerned about, or is THIS the actual ticking I have heard people mentioning.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Beastang

Beastang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
6G Mustang, 6G Bronco
allow me to say I am sorry in advance. Of course now I am seeing all the threads saying my tick is normal.

I guess posting a "wtf, my engine is ticking" thread is a rite of passage in the community for new Mustang owners.

I will do better research in the future.

OP
OP
Beastang

Beastang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
6G Mustang, 6G Bronco
Tried to delete the thread, but can't seem to do that. Now I just have to sit in my shame!!:crazy:

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
No shame required. Couple notes -

Low RPM acceleration could be pinging if youā€™re running regular gas, so try a tank of premium.

Im my car, lifter tick is a lot worse when the oil is old. Fresh oil and topped off seems to help the lifters. So Iā€™d also ask how long/miles since your last oil change, and when you last checked the oil level.

OP
OP
Beastang

Beastang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
6G Mustang, 6G Bronco
No shame required. Couple notes -

Low RPM acceleration could be pinging if youā€™re running regular gas, so try a tank of premium.

Im my car, lifter tick is a lot worse when the oil is old. Fresh oil and topped off seems to help the lifters. So Iā€™d also ask how long/miles since your last oil change, and when you last checked the oil level.
I have only had the car a couple weeks, and only a few hundred miles on it.

The oil was changed before I bought it (I have visually confirmed the level is correct, and the oil appears to be fresh).

I have only used premium since I got it.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Are you sure this isn't the rattle you are hearing? It happens at light throttle between 2-3k RPM.

OP
OP
Beastang

Beastang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
6G Mustang, 6G Bronco
Are you sure this isn't the rattle you are hearing? It happens at light throttle between 2-3k RPM.
I have seen people describe it as "the rattle". It honestly sounds more like ticking to me. And goes away instantly when I apply more throttle.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
My ā€˜22 at about 8k miles is dead quiet. Runs slightly rough though. My charger at 150k miles has a major lifter tick but runs like a Cadillac. Go figure.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Tried to delete the thread, but can't seem to do that. Now I just have to sit in my shame!!:crazy:
LOL No shame. The tick question literally happens to everyone.

As you said in an earlier message... "if I am cruising in 3rd gear at 35-40, with very little pedal pressure, I can hear the tick. As soon as I give it a bit more gas, ticking is gone." ... well there is your answer - stop worrying about the tick and give it more throttle!!! šŸ¤£

Sponsored
OP
OP
Beastang

Beastang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
6G Mustang, 6G Bronco

As you said in an earlier message... "if I am cruising in 3rd gear at 35-40, with very little pedal pressure, I can hear the tick. As soon as I give it a bit more gas, ticking is gone." ... well there is your answer - stop worrying about the tick and give it more throttle!!! šŸ¤£
I was driving a few minutes ago, and came to this realization... As long as I press the gas down harder, there is no tick! I love an easy solution..

Last edited:

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A

This rev that Bitch out!

MexicanFiestaST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Welcome to the club. Aside from that, how are you enjoying your new ride? You should revise your profile pic with your ride so we can all see, maybe revise your signature, too. But welcome!
Sponsored