Sponsored

Engine Sound

lint28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost w/PP - Now its a 2016 GT w/PP!!!
So.... about a year ago i installed the Ford Performance Power Pack 2. (on my 2016 GT). Pretty much every time.. ONLY when the engine is cold... when I hit 2500-3000 RPM... i hear this "rattle" sound? The car runs fine... no lights or CEL. Once the oil temp is in the "normal" range, i dont hear it anymore.

You can hear it in the beginning and more at the end of this video.

I've had a few other people listen to it, and they all say its nothing to worry about. (but yet i am a little worried) I popped my last engine!!

Any ideas on what this sound is? Knock? Ping? Timing Chain?
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Sounds like the dreaded '2K-rpm rattle', because it starts around that rpm. In my car, it's more like 1800 to 1900 rpm, and it can last until 3K rpm. Oh, and it's more prevalent when cold. My car still does it when fully hot, unfortunately, but at least at a reduced rpm range. Very noticeable inside the cabin if stereo is turned off. We don't know what exactly causes it, but we suspect it's either the DI cam-driven pump, or related to the cam phasers. And no, Ford hasn't said what it is; just that it's a normal characteristic of the engine. So you basically have to learn to live with it :).

OP
OP

lint28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost w/PP - Now its a 2016 GT w/PP!!!
Sounds like the dreaded '2K-rpm rattle', because it starts around that rpm. In my car, it's more like 1800 to 1900 rpm, and it can last until 3K rpm. Oh, and it's more prevalent when cold. My car still does it when fully hot, unfortunately, but at least at a reduced rpm range. Very noticeable inside the cabin if stereo is turned off. We don't know what exactly causes it, but we suspect it's either the DI cam-driven pump, or related to the cam phasers. And no, Ford hasn't said what it is; just that it's a normal characteristic of the engine. So you basically have to learn to live with it :).
I thought of that.. but mine seemed to be a little different. It only makes the noise when the engine is cold. After about 3-4 minutes... it quiet. Honestly, i hope it is just a "common" mustang sound.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, my car does the same thing when cold. Haven't had any issues.

Ehdrian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
Same noise from mine. Only when cold as well. 2015 GT.

Sponsored

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
Have a 2019 GT, and same sound and across the RPM band like you 2k - 3k. It is annoying. However mine does it all the time, cold or hot.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Yep...

Drive.Like.Stolen.

I used to think people obsessed on cheaper car forums because it was just the nature. Then I come here, were GT's aren't Porsches, but they aren't cheap, so it is more annoying some of the petty obsessions (like Brembo brake squeal). If I had to read this on a Porsche forum I think I couldn't handle it, but I imagine the same stuff goes on everywhere, no matter the car cost.

Huracan owner's griping because the leather is too slick.

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
that sounds more like piston slap. If it goes away when warmed up it probably is
Sponsored