Engine noise

Alocoroco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alocoroco
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Hi guys, 1st time mustang owner. I have this noise coming from the bottom of the engine I looked up videos on YouTube and it almost sounds like rod knock maybe. Any idea what it might be and what can be my options. Many thanks.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sounds like rod knock. Doesn't mean that it is, but it sounds pretty close and follows RPM.

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Hi guys, 1st time mustang owner. I have this noise coming from the bottom of the engine I looked up videos on YouTube and it almost sounds like rod knock maybe. Any idea what it might be and what can be my options. Many thanks.

Definitely sounds like it could be a rod knock, but I would take it to a dealer just to be safe! Good luck man, hope its nothing too too severe.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
How many miles on the engine? How many miles on the oil? Is oil level correct? If all of that checks out, I don't see what that noise could be other than rod knock, unfortunately. If still under the powertrain warranty, take it in. But you need to get it checked anyway, since it's bad enough that I wouldn't take that car on any trip. Good luck.

OP
OP

Alocoroco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alocoroco
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I asked a mechanic and he said engine is bad, but only has 40k miles. No warranty as its from auction

Sponsored

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
If it sounds like rod knock and came from an auction, my money is on rod knock. New motor/rebuild mandatory.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
you bought PSI from the auction? if yes, I'll just arbitrate the car for engine noise...

If the car is still under factory warranty, it doesn't matter if you bought it at auction or not... still under factory warranty... I had multiple teslas, mustangs, VW, etc repaired under factory warranty and i bought them at adesa/manheim...

OP
OP

Alocoroco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alocoroco
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
How do I know if its under warranty? Call the dealer?

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
you bought PSI from the auction? if yes, I'll just arbitrate the car for engine noise...

If the car is still under factory warranty, it doesn't matter if you bought it at auction or not... still under factory warranty... I had multiple teslas, mustangs, VW, etc repaired under factory warranty and i bought them at adesa/manheim...
This is correct. 5 years/60 K miles. Unless it was listed as a salvage car. I would find out the day the car was originally purchased. It's 60 months from that day. If an early '16 you might be close to the time period. I wouldn't wait a day!

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Definitely not a healthy sound. Connecting rod or main bearing likely. Good luck with warranty, it should be covered under original factory, but without service records may be a rough call by the dealer. Good luck!

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Cardax and or Oasis report may help with maintenance history..

17Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2013 4Runner, 2015 BMW 328i
Should definitely be covered. If it is under the five-year 60,000 miles. Manufacturer warranties transfer with vehicles. Unless the car has a salvage title.

OP
OP

Alocoroco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alocoroco
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
It's a rebuilt title :(
Sponsored