Sponsored

Engine Noise - Something I never heard before - Ends in Replacement

BurntCheezit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Auto
I bought my car used with a gentle 8000 miles on the odometer. It was previously owned by a retired Doctor down in Alabama and only traded it in on a new 2019 Red GT350.

For the first 3000 miles I put on it I noticed that there was a gentle tick not to far off from the BBQ tick.
Over the next 2000 miles the sound decided to become more apparent but I summed it up under the weather is getting colder.
The issues became more apparent at the 5000 mile oil change.
My first concern was that when I drained the oil is was more of a dark chocolate color than black or amber.

I checked the oil filter for metal but as hindsight is 20/20 I wish I would have taken a closer look.
I put in a new pre-filled oil filter and 10 gallons of 5w-30

I have linked the Video/Audio after startup and running:
This was concern number 2.

I decided that it was just aerated oil and that it just needed to sort itself out.
But I was not naïve and told myself if it doesn't get better I'll be taking it to the dealer.
I drove over a week which was roughly 300 miles.
Day by day, the startup was worse, the noise wouldn't go away, and In my ultimate wisdom I decided that I needed to take it in.

Here is the Audio which you can hear a noise on idle, under load to 3/5000 rpm, and the really concerning noise after I lifted off the throttle.

So I stopped by the dealer the 3rd week of October.
The technician there heard the noise but wanted to test it himself while cold, warming up and hot.
Dropped car off at the dealer at the start of the 4th week of October.
Dealer Called back that Friday and iterated that the technician was able to replicate the sound and was getting worse. Ford gave the go ahead to tear down the engine and get a replacement short block (SB) ordered as it would be covered under the powertrain warranty.
I later found out that the SB was backordered and instead a longblock was ordered instead.
On the pickup date I was assigned I found out that the engine was shipped to the wrong location and will have to wait a few more days. The rebuild was finished 16 days after drop off.

The only culprit the technician found was where the oil pump assembly and the crankshaft meet. There was scoring on the crankshaft and metal shaving littered the inside of the pump and the oil filter was filled with metal shavings.
Image.jpg
Sponsored

RCOLEMAN545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My car makes almost an identical sound when it is started cold, and has since day 1. Local dealer assures me that it's "normal"

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
My car makes almost an identical sound when it is started cold, and has since day 1. Local dealer assures me that it's "normal"
Next time you do an oil change, open up the oil filter to see if there is any metal in there.

OP
OP

BurntCheezit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Auto
The noise kept getting louder over the life of the oil. However, it wasn't until I changed it was it this loud.
Originally, The noise under load would go away after warmed up, but after the change it never went away.
The chattering when lifting off the throttle was also new.
But to usgiorgi point I would watch the oil like a hawk.

I would also post my dashcam of the technician testing it and it getting worse but that file was overwritten.

At least you have a note on your car that the Dealer thinks its "fine" in case something does happen.

RCOLEMAN545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The noise kept getting louder over the life of the oil. However, it wasn't until I changed it was it this loud.
Originally, The noise under load would go away after warmed up, but after the change it never went away.
The chattering when lifting off the throttle was also new.
But to usgiorgi point I would watch the oil like a hawk.

I would also post my dashcam of the technician testing it and it getting worse but that file was overwritten.

At least you have a note on your car that the Dealer thinks its "fine" in case something does happen.
I changed to original oil at 1k, changed again at 5k, now almost at 6k, and the noise seems to stay about the same. I also have the 2k rattle that others have posted about. The cars runs and drives great, but the noises do concern me about the longevity of the engine.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
From the video's............first one does not sound like the BBQ tick, but rather a in sync tap, so yeah that is probably a problem. The second video sounds healthy, like every 5.0 with a stock exhaust. What were you trying to hear there, the 2k rattle that every 5.0 has? It is really hard to hear on mine, but can be heard while listening closely driving around. The 2k rattle is not an issue as it is just the normal harmonics of this engine. The BBQ tick is also not a problem as no repair has been tied to it. The tick you have is something else, at least my opinion from your one short video anyway.

OP
OP

BurntCheezit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Auto
From the video's............first one does not sound like the BBQ tick, but rather a in sync tap, so yeah that is probably a problem. The second video sounds healthy, like every 5.0 with a stock exhaust. What were you trying to hear there, the 2k rattle that every 5.0 has? It is really hard to hear on mine, but can be heard while listening closely driving around. The 2k rattle is not an issue as it is just the normal harmonics of this engine. The BBQ tick is also not a problem as no repair has been tied to it. The tick you have is something else, at least my opinion from your one short video anyway.
The best way I can describe what I was trying to record in the second video is the sound recorded in the 1st video., although since the car has been running the noise is rather subdued. Its most noticeable at the 9-10 seconds.
The last few seconds when throttle has been let off there is a noticeable chattering at the 16-17 seconds
I tried taking the original file and tuning it so it is more audible but was unable to.
Sponsored