Sponsored

Engine noise, like a salsa shaker

Nasteg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver
I have this same noise. I went WOT with a/c on and windows closed and alot of exhaust fumes went into the car it was so bad i had to open my windows i wonder if its because of this
Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Not really. You'd have to have an absolutely massive exhaust leak to have any kind of detectable impact on performance.
I would think any exhaust leak up around the cats can not be good for air/fuel ratios which would cause a rich condition.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I would think any exhaust leak up around the cats can not be good for air/fuel ratios which would cause a rich condition.
If a bad enough leak were near the upstream o2 I could see it causing problems. What is being discussed here is a minor exhaust leak *after* the cat converter. I suppose anything is possible but it wouldn't even be on my radar if I were trying to troubleshoot an issue with poor performance it fuel mileage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Most of the time, it's noticeable but not as significant. But... if I'm against a freeway center divider in traffic, or a drive thru, or next to a car at a stop light with my windows down, it's pretty much the same as the video.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Most of the time, it's noticeable but not as significant. But... if I'm against a freeway center divider in traffic, or a drive thru, or next to a car at a stop light with my windows down, it's pretty much the same as the video.
This is what I get as well, my driveway has walls on the sides and its super loud in there. Going through a drivethrough sounds like I'm driving some 40 year old hooptie, tis kind of embarrassing.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Sounds exactly like mine and it is very noticeable without any walls. Also embarrassing for a car with 13k miles.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
That's pretty pronounced. I may have missed it....did this develop after a few thousand miles, or after an oil change or something? Or has it been there since early on?

Sponsored

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I noticed mine making almost exactly the same noise when I came to the first stoplight next to a wall on the way home from the dealership. But mine seems to come and go and isn't ever near that pronounced. I had kinda learned to ignore mine but this has piqued my interest.

AmnScott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Mine makes this as well (just like the video a few replies up), along with my buddies s550 5.0. Pretty much every S550 5.0 in my "Mustang club" makes it, to some extent. Beginning to think it's "normal". It's been doing it since 233 miles (when I received the car) all the way up to now, at 12,500 miles. It's an intermittent sound, usually starts making it when the engine is in operating temp. I've become used to it and now it doesn't sound as noisy as it used to. Perhaps just some noisy cats?

Another friend of mine has a S550 5.0 that also made that sound. He said when he got catless headers, the sound went away. Hmmm.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I suspect the cats. Im having an oil change on Monday, I will tell them about this and ask to inspect exhaust manifold, cats etc. Ill show them the video if my car decides not to show symptoms at drop off.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Mine made the same noise since day one.

I now have cat-less Kooks LT's with a Lund Tune (raised idle to about 850) and I can still hear it somewhat but not as much do to the raised idle. Mine was only loud when it would idle down to 650 or so. I think this is just how the engines sound.
Sponsored