Sponsored

Engine blew up

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I use the pre-gapped Denso ITV22's from Tune+. Yes, I'm lazy. NGK 6510's are said to be good as well, along with the Brisk RR14S(?).
Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
So... what's the general consensus here? Don't run a tune? I ran an unleashed tune on my 2015 Ecoboost for over a year and it was great. I wouldn't say it was aggressive though.

You guys got me nervous about putting a new unleashed tune on my current Ecoboost.
Surprised no one has suggested for a daily driver to go with a new engine from Ford then pay for the Ford Performance tune / CAI / installation. It's a huge improvement over stock (when combined with an inter cooler), but allows you to keep the warranty.

Yes it's cold weather safe, I drove 500 miles one way to Wisconsin from Ohio to visit my family last December with the FP tune, it was -1 when I arrived in Wisconsin. I got he CAI / FP tune certified by my local dealer along with the FMIC which wasn't an issue because it's only a cooling system upgrade and the PCM already compensates for charge temps.

A FP tuned EB with an inter cooler is a lot of fun for a daily driver and you don't have all the worries. If by some very rare chance you did throw a rod, it's on their dime.

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
What are the best spark plugs recommended on a tuned Ecoboost?
Denso or I have NGK 6510. Also .28 gap. One step closer is great for stock or tuned. Turbo is between 1 and 2 steps, I'd ask your preferred tuner about that

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Surprised no one has suggested for a daily driver to go with a new engine from Ford then pay for the Ford Performance tune / CAI / installation. It's a huge improvement over stock (when combined with an inter cooler), but allows you to keep the warranty.
It was actually discussed on page 6 (?). OP is already at 30k miles I think, so he'd only have 6k of warranty coverage left with Ford Performance tune.

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
It was actually discussed on page 6 (?). OP is already at 30k miles I think, so he'd only have 6k of warranty coverage left with Ford Performance tune.
I do believe the motor is covered under the 5 year/60K plan, i might be wrong though.

Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I do believe the motor is covered under the 5 year/60K plan, i might be wrong though.
Yes, but if he has the Ford Performance Tune package installed after he gets his new engine then the tune package reduces the powertrain warranty to 3/36,000, starting at the original purchase date of the car, I believe.

EDIT: After reading TheLion's post in another thread and re-reading the Ford performance pack warranty statement I may be walking my statement back a bit. I can see where TheLion interprets the 3/36k warranty as being just for the performance parts and that the rest of the engine should be covered by the original warranty. After closer inspection I read it that way, too. Having said that, the general consensus on here that I've read is that your powertrain warranty as a whole gets clipped to 3/36k if you install the Ford Performance Pack tune. Also, that warranty statement is buried in the depths of the internet, it doesn't mention the ecoboost package specifically by part #, and I don't see this information prominently displayed on any of the web pages where this package is sold.

It would be really nice if someone from Ford could actually give us a straight up answer on this to clarify, but I can't remember the last time I saw anyone from Ford on this forum.

EDIT AGAIN: Apparently it does actually list the part number for the package on page two of the warranty declaration. I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I have much respect for tuners and how much work goes into programming, but who the heck thought it was a good idea to make a summer and winter tune?
I don't mind so much having a winter/summer tune. You simply look at the weather twice a year (since I'm in a vert, I'm doing that anyway), and install the winter tune when you see 50 degree weather and in spring when you stop seeing 50 degree weather as the "low".

My major issue is when there is a summer and winter tune but no one tells the person receiving the tune that they need to change it at 50 degrees. I guess we are suppose to automatically know... :shrug:

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
I have an unleashed tune. It was never mentioned to me that I should have different weather tunes.

That being said I have been beating on the car with the tune in sub 10 degree weather through the canyons. Also a number of drag races in sub 40 degree weather.

I have about 6k miles on the tune, 8k total on the car.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Torrie can build a singular tune instead of a S/W setup. Just saying. That's what I'm going with

Sponsored

Fridge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Manual w/PP
Its very safe to get a good tune, but 1st everyone needs to be straight with themselves on whether they want it tuned aggressively for the given fuel they are gonna be using, or be conservative and keep the boost and timing at a safe level. When you see people having issues with breaking spark plugs and breaking engines, its pretty much a given that they are tuned over aggressively, they are paying the consequences.
The problem is if the tune is aggressive and you get a bad batch of gas, or if that batch isn't necessarily bad but is just not a good as what you were originally tuned on, the PCM is gonna be constantly pulling timing to keep knock down. The PCM is very smart, it will do it, but its not 100% proactive, its more reactive, so when it sees knock, the knock still happens, till the PCM can pull timing.
I see that people get into the he did this and he ran that on this fuel. Ive seen so many posts that ask can I make 400 hp on 93 octane, or I wanna run low 12s on 93 octane. Ive even seen retaliation post where people have said, well yeah he ran that cause hes on Race fuel or E85, those that run a lot of octane are smart.
I have said many times and will say again, make sure you over octane for the given tune, whether that be 91, 93, 93 with Meth injection, race fuel or E85, and choose your tuner wisely so they do the best they can to not put you in a situation where your engine will be at risk. Send them multiple logs as well, even randomly on different batches of fuel.

To answer a few questions ive been asked, I think Methonol injection is the best thing since sliced bread, they even used it in WWII on planes cause it worked, and I have a little Lenovo laptop I got at Best buy for under $150 for looking at my logs that I keep in the car with me.
Completely agree but thats assuming everybody drives and maintains their cars how they're suppose to. One of the guys on here, who had a tuned eco was still running on the stock motorcraft oil :shrug:
Just saying some maintenance practices for tuned ecos probably needs to be stated clearly so atleast it eliminates that variable from everybodies mind when people start to try and figure out why someones engine broke. We'll never really know unless the Ford dealer tears down the engine and finds out, so i guess we'll see hopefully.

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Completely agree but thats assuming everybody drives and maintains their cars how they're suppose to. One of the guys on here, who had a tuned eco was still running on the stock motorcraft oil :shrug:
Just saying some maintenance practices for tuned ecos probably needs to be stated clearly so atleast it eliminates that variable from everybodies mind when people start to try and figure out why someones engine broke. We'll never really know unless the Ford dealer tears down the engine and finds out, so i guess we'll see hopefully.
I will definitely be over the top. I'm on here and other places a good 3 hours a day reading up the latest best things for our cars. Apart from a good tune, oil, plugs, checking boost hoses for warping,leaks and a clean air filter are really the best things to keep up on. Also keeping the Meth full lol

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0

What exactly is wrong with the motorcraft oil? I have the dealer change mine since even jacking the car up at my house is a pain. Last I knew the synth blend stuff actually did quite well in UOA testing and I have mine done every 3500 anyways.

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What exactly is wrong with the motorcraft oil? I have the dealer change mine since even jacking the car up at my house is a pain. Last I knew the synth blend stuff actually did quite well in UOA testing and I have mine done every 3500 anyways.
Not sure how to answer that. I just follow what high performers use which is usually Mobil 1, Amsoil or Royal

Jon2.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Uh...... Jon
Vehicle(s)
16 Ecoboost
Mine blew up, too. Also a 2015. Also a hole by the turbo (7 holes total, actually).

For me, as someone who drag races a lot, it made sense to go the built motor route. However, the factor you may not be considering in the increase of cost going to the built motor (2-3k you mentioned over the factory replacement cost) is all the supporting mods to allow it to work like intended: driveshaft, halfshafts, clutch, larger turbo, more fuel, etc/etc/etc. Of course, you could opt not to do any of those things and just have a built motor for safety reasons.
Did you race a White 5.0 back in august sometime down in lakeland?
Sponsored