Sponsored

Electrical Problem?

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
I have a 2018 GT with 800 miles on it. The seat heaters on either side and the heated wheel will sometimes be on when I start the car no matter what the temp is outside. My car is garage kept, the garage is climate controlled and does not get below 60 degrees. More than once now, I have started the car only to notice the seat heater and or the heated wheel are on. They turn off fine, but the randomly come on when I start the car. My fear is I bought an electrical nightmare waiting to happen. Has anyone else had this problem? Yes, the car is under warranty, but this does not happen every time so it will probably be difficult for Ford to fix. There are NO other issues, electrical or otherwise with the car.

THANKS!
Sponsored

DILLIGAFTXVET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
read the manual. go into the settings and turn off the cars ability to have climate control on the auto setting on start up and change it to last setting used.

OP
OP

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
read the manual. go into the settings and turn off the cars ability to have climate control on the auto setting on startup and change it to last setting used.
SIMPLE, but brilliant. Yes, great idea - thanks! The REAL concern is should I be worried that this is an underlying electrical issue? It is so random and can affect either side or the wheel at startup. BTW it never seems to happen any other time - ONLY at startup.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a thought, try what has been suggested, a good idea BTW.
Then drive the car wait and see.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Here is a thought, try what has been suggested, a good idea BTW.
Then drive the car wait and see.
Agree.
It's an '18 with plenty of milage left on warranty.
Do what's been suggested and watch it. Find out if it's truly random or if there's a particular set of circumstances, or frequency- like say every 4th start, where it occurs.

As an aside, my mind boggles that people buy these nice, fun cars and only put 800 miles on them in 2 years! I DD my 18 and smile every single day/time driving it. I don't care how many miles are on it it's so damn much fun to drive I drive it everywhere!

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
SIMPLE, but brilliant. Yes, great idea - thanks! The REAL concern is should I be worried that this is an underlying electrical issue? It is so random and can affect either side or the wheel at startup. BTW it never seems to happen any other time - ONLY at startup.
Are using remote start? The settings mentioned by DILLIGAFTXVET only pertain to that. You can still turn off the last settings command and see what happens.

REMOTE START (IF EQUIPPED)
You can switch this feature on or off and adjust the settings using the information display.
The system adjusts the interior temperature depending on your chosen settings during remote start.
You cannot adjust the climate control setting during remote start operation.
When you switch the ignition on, the climate control system returns to the previous settings. You can now make adjustments.
You need to switch on certain vehicle-dependent features, such as:

• Heated seats.
• Cooled seats.
• Heated steering wheel.
• Heated mirrors.
• Heated rear window.

But I also found this:
Automatic Settings
In hot weather, the system sets to 72 (22C). The cooled seats are set to high (if available, and AUTO is on in the information display).
In moderate weather, the system either heats or cools (based on previous settings). The rear defroster, heated
mirrors and heated or cooled seats do not turn on.
In cold weather, the system sets to 72 (22C). The heated seats are set to high (if available, and AUTO is on in the information display). The heated rear window and heated mirrors turn on.

Last edited:
OP
OP

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree.
It's an '18 with plenty of milage left on warranty.
Do what's been suggested and watch it. Find out if it's truly random or if there's a particular set of circumstances, or frequency- like say every 4th start, where it occurs.

As an aside, my mind boggles that people buy these nice, fun cars and only put 800 miles on them in 2 years! I DD my 18 and smile every single day/time driving it. I don't care how many miles are on it it's so damn much fun to drive I drive it everywhere!
I just bought this car a few months ago (it was part of a bankrupt dealer stock sale and couldn't be sold until January 2020) and have been waiting on the weather to warm up enough and of course NOW we are on this lockdown so I really only drive it to work every day (4 miles each way). The problem is the acquiring dealer had to title the cars they bought in their name when they paid for the auction wins (THANKS Maryland laws) so even though the car is new, the warranty is half over at this time).

OP
OP

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are using remote start? The settings mentioned by DILLIGAFTXVET only pertain to that. You can still turn off the last settings command and see what happens.

REMOTE START (IF EQUIPPED)
You can switch this feature on or off and adjust the settings using the information display.
The system adjusts the interior temperature depending on your chosen settings during remote start.
You cannot adjust the climate control setting during remote start operation.
When you switch the ignition on, the climate control system returns to the previous settings. You can now make adjustments.
You need to switch on certain vehicle-dependent features, such as:

• Heated seats.
• Cooled seats.
• Heated steering wheel.
• Heated mirrors.
• Heated rear window.

But I also found this:
Automatic Settings
In hot weather, the system sets to 72 (22C). The cooled seats are set to high (if available, and AUTO is on in the information display).
In moderate weather, the system either heats or cools (based on previous settings). The rear defroster, heated
mirrors and heated or cooled seats do not turn on.
In cold weather, the system sets to 72 (22C). The heated seats are set to high (if available, and AUTO is on in the information display). The heated rear window and heated mirrors turn on.
No, not using remote start and I have never turned on the driver seat and heated wheel before, but it came on this morning when I started the car. It is very random, that's why I am worried I have electrical problems....

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
No, not using remote start and I have never turned on the driver seat and heated wheel before, but it came on this morning when I started the car. It is very random, that's why I am worried I have electrical problems....
Yes, sounds like you have an issue. Poor ground, wiring short, bad switch. Could be any of them. Time to visit the dealer. :frown:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I would offer one other thought and I'm not sure it will do anything useful but in the same light it won't damage anything either.
It is sometimes possible to reset a vehicle's computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable and turning on the lights for a few minutes.
You may, or may not, lose some of your presets but it may also reset the BCM, or whatever module does the heated seats, and stop your glitch.
I assume that you have not hooked up to a code scanner or maybe Forscan to see if there are any stored codes?
Past those ideas you'll probably have to bite the bullet and take it to a dealer.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I just bought this car a few months ago (it was part of a bankrupt dealer stock sale and couldn't be sold until January 2020) and have been waiting on the weather to warm up enough and of course NOW we are on this lockdown so I really only drive it to work every day (4 miles each way). The problem is the acquiring dealer had to title the cars they bought in their name when they paid for the auction wins (THANKS Maryland laws) so even though the car is new, the warranty is half over at this time).
So, the title you bought it under, was it titled as a new or used vehicle?

OP
OP

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, the title you bought it under, was it titled as a new or used vehicle?
When I got it, it had 6 miles on it and was titled to Academy Ford so it was technically used. They had 2 other Mustangs in the same boat. If Academy Ford wasn't such a well established family owned business with a solid reputation I never would have gone for it. I immediately thought something was fishy, but Carfax seems to backed up their claims and it still had 1/2 the warranty so I went for it. The ONLY things this car is missing from what I would have ordered is the B and O sound system and Race Red color and MAYBE the active exhaust, but really for 34k this car was a steal. Hopefully this is a minor thing....
Sponsored