Sponsored

Electric power steering intermittently inoperative GT Premium 2017

Acrux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium 2017
Hello everyone,

Got a Mustang GT Premium 2017 with 53 000 miles, the electric power steering assist went out couple of days ago when driving back from work. It disappeared after stoping the engine. Next day I was able to drive to work without any issue but it happened again on the way back. And now it goes out after the engine has been running for a few minutes.

Steering is still responsive, no deadzone in it, so definitely has something to do with the electric part of the power steering.

Checked the fuse, ground connection and battery voltage, nothing.. (Maybe should have tried resetting battery ?)

Took the car to the dealership but said it would take a couple of days to get it diagnosed. Anyone had the same issue or has an idea ?
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
What codes does it have? Do you get the steering assist warning in the gauge panel?

OP
OP

Acrux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium 2017
What codes does it have? Do you get the steering assist warning in the gauge panel?
No warning light/message of any kind and I wasn't able to get a code (don't have a reader).

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I've had mine go out a few times, if the voltage gets too low, or you don't wait for the dongle to disconnect from the laptop before turning off the ign, after a flash, on the 2017 it faults out the power steering. This always has the steering assist light on the cluster turn on.

What symptoms do you have that make you think the steering is not working?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
What's the tread like on the front tires? My daughter found out the hard way that Ford electric power steering is very, very picky about them having good tread with even wear.
I'd be careful about continuing to drive the car. If the steering were to escalate to locking up, well, you can imagine what could happen.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Acrux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium 2017
I've had mine go out a few times, if the voltage gets too low, or you don't wait for the dongle to disconnect from the laptop before turning off the ign, after a flash, on the 2017 it faults out the power steering. This always has the steering assist light on the cluster turn on.

What symptoms do you have that make you think the steering is not working?
I thought it might be the battery and had it checked but seemed to be okay.

The steering wheel is very very heavy, requires a lot of forces when parking or at slow speed. Exactly like old cars without power steering. But here it comes on and off you can feel it.

OP
OP

Acrux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium 2017
What's the tread like on the front tires? My daughter found out the hard way that Ford electric power steering is very, very picky about them having good tread with even wear.
I'd be careful about continuing to drive the car. If the steering were to escalate to locking up, well, you can imagine what could happen.
Tires are almost brand new and I got them rotated 1000 miles back during standard service maintenance by the ford dealership.

The car is being checked by Ford right now.

I understand yours that you're talking about went out because of uneven wear on front tires ?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Exactly like old cars without power steering.
Yep, that is exactly what it feels like. Steering by armstrong.

I'm surprised no warning light. Hope it set a code or Ford won't do anything.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone,

Got a Mustang GT Premium 2017 with 53 000 miles, the electric power steering assist went out couple of days ago when driving back from work. It disappeared after stoping the engine. Next day I was able to drive to work without any issue but it happened again on the way back. And now it goes out after the engine has been running for a few minutes.
Mine started doing that. Changed the battery and I think now is fine. If it's original battery on your car you were due for replacement long time ago.

OP
OP

Acrux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium 2017
Mine started doing that. Changed the battery and I think now is fine. If it's original battery on your car you were due for replacement long time ago.
Battery was changed back in 2020, the one now is showing 12,6V with engine off. I don't know if that's considered low

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I thought it might be the battery and had it checked but seemed to be okay.
By whom? How?

How old is the battery?

I'll put $5 on the battery being bad.

OP
OP

Acrux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium 2017
By whom? How?

How old is the battery?

I'll put $5 on the battery being bad.
I was also thinking about the battery.

Autozone guy with their multimeter/computer (reading 12,6V engine off) . Battery is almost 4 years old.

While driving it shows 13V ish on the display gauge in the car.

I'll let you know what the Ford technicians diagnose

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
If there is no code and the steering works Ford will tell you nothing is wrong.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Battery was changed back in 2020, the one now is showing 12,6V with engine off. I don't know if that's considered low
It's not 12.4V is the normal nominal for a working battery in the Mustang. So your battery is probably fine. Keep us posted on what Ford said. I also didn't have codes stored though.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I was also thinking about the battery.

Autozone guy with their multimeter/computer (reading 12,6V engine off) . Battery is almost 4 years old.

While driving it shows 13V ish on the display gauge in the car.

I'll let you know what the Ford technicians diagnose
I do believe that test really doesn't mean anything. Bench load testing the battery is what really determines the health of the battery.

If it shows 13V while driving, I believe that means your battery is fine. But 4 years old.....maybe check the water levels.
Sponsored