Sponsored

Electric Mustangs. Cheaper? I just don't see it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Who’s saying an E Mustang will be cheaper? That’s generally a Tesla-fan argument for any pricing criticisms. I haven’t heard much of it in the way from non-tech company carmaker fans. I just want 100% torque as soon as I press the pedal :turkey:
All you need is a manual transmission and dump the clutch. Our gas engine cars produce plenty enough torque to spin the tires if that's your thing.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It doesn't matter. It's just coming out of all of our pockets one way or another.

And that's complete bullshit.
I know how you feel about this but the reality is we pay our taxes and the government spends them. Most of what the money is spent on has zero direct effect on our daily lives. A tax credit is just that, a credit. Should a family with 10 children get a better break than one with 2? Should I be pissed because my federal taxes are being spend fixing road your in Virginia? Should you be pissed that Federal tax dollars are being spent for schools in South Carolina.

The EV tax credit at the end of the day is one teeny tiny little program amongst thousands. Want to stop it? Only elect people that are against all forms of Federal tax credits. But if you do that be careful what you wish for.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A co-worker's DD is a 2005 Prius that he bought new, and has well over 200K on the odo. The only thing that he's had to replace is the battery that starts the car. The battery pack is fine.

It's 2019. I see no reason a BEV intended for mass market consumption can't be made far cheaper than the Mach E. @Hack nailed it in Post #9.
Thanks - just saying what I think. I'm not going to buy an electric due to what I think is fun, but some people will buy one. For many people cars aren't fun, they are just appliances. Those people will buy electrics if they are good enough. IMO it just has to be better than the equivalent ICE vehicle.

Your coworker must have gotten a good Prius. I had a coworker with one and the batteries were replaced several times during the warranty period. He sold it and bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee. So much for saving gas.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I'm not going to buy an electric due to what I think is fun
Have you ever experienced a true EV before like a Model S P100D or Model 3 performance? That acceleration is hard to not smile over and smash the pedal again....

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, just do not completely write something off before even trying it (if you haven't already)...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
It's 2019. I see no reason a BEV intended for mass market consumption can't be made far cheaper than the Mach E. @Hack nailed it in Post #9.
No one is saying that the BEV is ready for mass market consumption. It's not. That said you can get a Telsa for less than the 2019 average car price. so there's that.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
All you need is a manual transmission and dump the clutch. Our gas engine cars produce plenty enough torque to spin the tires if that's your thing.
I’m not talking about burn outs, chief.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I had a coworker with one and the batteries were replaced several times during the warranty period.
Keep in mind that not all EVs (EV lites like the Prius that are not true BEVs) are created equal. That 2005 Prius uses VERY old nickel-metal hydride battery tech and not lithium like all modern EVs.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Have you ever experienced a true EV before like a Model S P100D or Model 3 performance? That acceleration is hard to not smile over and smash the pedal again....
Everyone has their definition of "Fun". I have driven a P100D and it was fun. Scarily so. The quiet was disconcerting for sure. Missed the V8 rumble. But the performance was just sick. And not just acceleration. The handling was damn good for a full size four door sedan.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, just do not completely write something off before even trying it (if you haven't already)...
No I haven't tried an EV. There aren't any EVs in my price range that are good looking and sporty. They also need to be set up to handle the road course. Frankly I don't really even understand why someone who would buy a Mustang would be interested in any of the crappy EVs that I've seen on the market so far.

I have a C5 Z06 right now. The acceleration is stronger (on the street) than my GT350 was, but I don't really like the car as much. The engine doesn't sound as good and I don't like how it revs out.

I already have figured out that I'm an engine guy and road course guy more than absolute acceleration from 0-30 on the street person. I want a car with a special gasoline engine, manual transmission and I want to be able to drive it on the road course. And I would much rather spend $20-30k on a vehicle than $80k or more.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
They also need to be set up to handle the road course.
Because the batteries represent a significant amount of the weight of the vehicle and are usually placed under the floor, that allows from some very good handling characteristics.

I have my reasons for buying my Tesla but I would have been the first in line for a Mach E had it been a true BEV Mustang and not that CUV crap. There are simply no affordable electric sports cars right now...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
No I haven't tried an EV. There aren't any EVs in my price range that are good looking and sporty. They also need to be set up to handle the road course. Frankly I don't really even understand why someone who would buy a Mustang would be interested in any of the crappy EVs that I've seen on the market so far.

I have a C5 Z06 right now. The acceleration is stronger (on the street) than my GT350 was, but I don't really like the car as much. The engine doesn't sound as good and I don't like how it revs out.

I already have figured out that I'm an engine guy and road course guy more than absolute acceleration from 0-30 on the street person. I want a car with a special gasoline engine, manual transmission and I want to be able to drive it on the road course. And I would much rather spend $20-30k on a vehicle than $80k or more.
You are certainly entitled to your thoughts and opinions, everyone on this forum is. That said commenting on something, either positively or negatively, that you have no experience with isn't really helpful. For a moment forget the cost, just go test drive a BEV. Preferably a Tesla as they have performance versions. Once you've done that let us know what you think. I'm not expecting it to change your mind. But, at least, you will have a basis for comparison.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I think the Model S is ok looking for a sedan, but the 3 is an absolute turd. I despise them both in reality. I really prefer to stay away from 4 door vehicles completely. And those Tesla electric vehicles are junk compared to the Mustang. If they were $10k or something I might consider one. Or maybe if someone paid me $10k to take one. I might not be able to handle driving one even if it was free, though.

Maybe if the roadster was $30k and I fit in it there might be a chance.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
You make some good points but the reality is that the ICE is going the way of the Dodo bird...
No, it's not. Not in our lifetimes, and not in our children's lifetimes.

Why? Because ICE powered cars are still very, very good. And the infrastructure to support them is ubiquitous.

Add to the fact that if EV cars were to overtake ICE cars in the developed world (North & South America/Western Europe/Japan/China) then the demand for ICE cars and gasoline would drop. When the price drops, people in the developing world (Africa/SE Asia) will be able to afford them, and the fuel and THEY will drive ICE cars and burn the gasoline.

Buying EV cars will not "save" the planet, it will simply allow other people to use ICE cars and burn gasoline.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You are certainly entitled to your thoughts and opinions, everyone on this forum is. That said commenting on something, either positively or negatively, that you have no experience with isn't really helpful. For a moment forget the cost, just go test drive a BEV. Preferably a Tesla as they have performance versions. Once you've done that let us know what you think. I'm not expecting it to change your mind. But, at least, you will have a basis for comparison.
I'm not going to waste a sales person's time driving something I know for certain I won't buy. If Tesla was selling a Mustang equivalent car that did everything as well as the Mustang and looked just as good (and it would have to have a manual transmission), then maybe I would check it out.

Heck, I don't test drive any new SUVs, automatic transmission cars, pickups.. there's a long list of cars I won't consider buying.
Sponsored