ECU flash limits?

scottso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Does anyone know if there is a feasible limit to how many times you can flash a tune to the ecu? I know with computer flash drives they will fail after X amount of writes to the flash eventually. I mostly ask because I plan to go back and forth between 93 and e85 depending on availability but I wasn’t sure if I had to reasonably be worries about wearing out something in the ecu.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
its a computer. theoretically there's no limit. its just a computer writing back and fourth. hard drives can do it millions of times. the only risk you have is bricking from maybe losing connection during a flash? or power drain

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Does anyone know if there is a feasible limit to how many times you can flash a tune to the ecu? I know with computer flash drives they will fail after X amount of writes to the flash eventually. I mostly ask because I plan to go back and forth between 93 and e85 depending on availability but I wasn’t sure if I had to reasonably be worries about wearing out something in the ecu.
Why dont you just get a flex tune? writing back and forth is just a ticking bomb. What FreePenguin said is correct your risk will be in the case you loose power or connection.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
There is a small risk with any/every flash. That said, I flash PCMs on the bench all the time and have some that have been flashed 1000s of times with no issue, so its generally not a concern.

OP
OP

scottso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks for everyone’s input! I appreciate it. I would consider a flex tune but my Bullitt is tuned by Steeda and all I currently have are 93 and e85 tunes available.

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
It’s a pain in the ass, but before you flash any new tune you should flash back to stock. Mine was a flash whore back when we where dialing in my tunes. No limit as long as your battery is good. Not a bad idea to have on a charger while flashing too.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Thanks for everyone’s input! I appreciate it. I would consider a flex tune but my Bullitt is tuned by Steeda and all I currently have are 93 and e85 tunes available.
E85 tune is night and day compared to stock or 93 tunes.
Sponsored