Sponsored

EB PP Winter Tires

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
I disagree with the buy a beater over winter tires idea. Sure, you don't care about the exterior getting beat up and everything, but the reliability on that isn't going to be anywhere near that of the Mustang. Last thing I want is to have the car not start or have something break and leave me stranded.

Just picked up my winters over the weekend. Went with the X-Ice Xi3. Thought about the Blizzaks a lot but I got a decent deal for the Michelins!
What size did you get them in? The stock 255 x 40 R19?
Sponsored

Ishtar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP w/ Recaros
Wheels and tires from Tirerack.com came in today. Ended up going with Blizzak LM32 255/40/19 and Verde Axis 19x8.5 32 offset. It rains alot here (30 minutes N of Seattle) and Blizzaks are great in heavy rain, I paid the price for it though :headbonk:
I wish I could get confirmation on whether I could run that size on the GT PP on all four corners without tripping the TCS!

Any ideas?

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Tire size has nothing to do with the traction control system function. No matter what winter tire you get the TCS is going to activate more to keep the tires from locking up on winter roads compared to warm dry summer roads.

OP
OP
Brad

Brad

Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S - Big Turbo EB
I wish I could get confirmation on whether I could run that size on the GT PP on all four corners without tripping the TCS!

Any ideas?
I would definitely go with the Blizzak WS series over the LM series if you get heavy snow. Should be killer!

Sponsored

Ishtar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP w/ Recaros
Tire size has nothing to do with the traction control system function. No matter what winter tire you get the TCS is going to activate more to keep the tires from locking up on winter roads compared to warm dry summer roads.
Yup, totally understand. TireRack told me that the 0.7" difference in rear tire diameter may cause the traction control system to engage more often as the wheel speed would be 25 odd rotations per mile less than expected. Not sure I believe it...

Even if that was the case it's just more reason to get a tuner :headbang:

hemanmech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hemanth
Vehicle(s)
15 Beest Eco/Prem./PP
Hey there,
I also have the Eco PP summer tires and not sure if its relevant to this thread but here is my question - when I stop at a single or end of a street to take a left or right turn and when I push the pedal a little more than gradual, I can feel the tire rotation like a vibration, like there was no friction between the tire and road. This happens only when the road is wet. So one time, when coming out of a parking lot and making a right turn into a street, I pushed the pedal a little harder and the rear of the car shook a little to left and right and traction control light came on for a second (bear with the crap explanation, but I guess you get the gist).
Is this because of the summer only tires only I have and in wet roads they behave like this when you push the pedal a little harder than gradual? I am in Charlotte NC btw,

OP
OP
Brad

Brad

Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=16206]hemanmech[/MENTION], summer tires will have terrible traction unless they are warmed up. Losing traction on wet roads is pretty common especially with these Pirellis. I had the same problem, no traction on wet Seattle roads so I switched to winters.

hemanmech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hemanth
Vehicle(s)
15 Beest Eco/Prem./PP
[MENTION=16206]hemanmech[/MENTION], summer tires will have terrible traction unless they are warmed up. Losing traction on wet roads is pretty common especially with these Pirellis. I had the same problem, no traction on wet Seattle roads so I switched to winters.
hmm thanks [MENTION=15875]Brad[/MENTION], since i am in Charlotte, and there is not much snow around i was assuming i do not have to change to all season/winter. But with the way these summer pirellis behave in wet conditions, I am now getting thinking of buying new set of tires, any suggestion on good/economical tires ones to drive here in the south ?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Brad

Brad

Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
I am in the same boat here. I live in Washington DC, and we will get snow storms.

Do I go with All Season or Snow/Winter tires?
in DC I stay on my summer-only tires. if we get crappy weather there, everything is shut down anyway and all the govvies work from home. So many snow days.
Sponsored