Sponsored

Dual mode exhausts????

Tornado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt pp - white
I have electric exhaust cut outs in front of the factory mufflers. Wiring took about 30 minutes and cost about $300 all together from Jegs (plus cost of welding them in place). I highly recommend it along with a resonator delete.
Sponsored

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
I am in the same boat as OP! Dying for a dual mode exhaust that you can switch on the fly! BBK sounds good but there is no active or electronic version. Varex I just don't like the sound of it. Roush sounds awesome, but I don't want to fork out that much cash and I would have to fabricate some shorty turn downs on the inner two of the quad exits to keep my OEM valance.
Another alternative that hasn't been discussed is the Ford Racing x pipe with side exits, plus the QTP cutouts for the Boss 302. This allows you to close the side exits and go through the factory mufflers, or not, with the flip of a switch, and will run ya something like $1300, similar to the Varex. However, you lose the factory resonator here, so even in quiet mode it's going to be louder than stock.

Just get an electric cut out. Google it if you're not familiar.
I have electric exhaust cut outs in front of the factory mufflers. Wiring took about 30 minutes and cost about $300 all together from Jegs (plus cost of welding them in place). I highly recommend it along with a resonator delete.
Do either of you guys have some audio clips of these? Lots of people talk trash on these things, but I can't actually find any good videos of it. I'd love to be able to flip a switch and go loud mode, even if it wasn't the cleanest sound. It can't be much worse than the side exits that have nothing but cats to quiet them, right?
Tornado, did you delete the resonator at the same time you added your cutouts? Where along the pipes did you get them welded in? I like the stock sound most of the time so I was thinking if I added these it'd be in the same place as you but keep the resonator. I would even appreciate some pics of exactly how & where you installed them! Thanks in advance!

SVT Wylde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
When we were installing my catback, we took off my stock exhaust and fired the car up just to see what it sounded like and it wasn't to bad. I'm still considering cutouts.

Last edited:

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
Do either of you guys have some audio clips of these? Lots of people talk trash on these things, but I can't actually find any good videos of it. I'd love to be able to flip a switch and go loud mode, even if it wasn't the cleanest sound. It can't be much worse than the side exits that have nothing but cats to quiet them, right?
There's nothing wrong with cutouts at all, and the versatility they offer is quite convenient. They are perfect for those in search of more sound, but don't count on seeing any more power.

People's main gripe with them is that when installed so that all mufflers are bypassed, the sound is more just unrefined noise. A good idea would be installing the cutout after the center resonator(s) and before the rear mufflers so the tone is still somewhat controlled. Good Luck!

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
There's nothing wrong with cutouts at all, and the versatility they offer is quite convenient. They are perfect for those in search of more sound, but don't count on seeing any more power.

People's main gripe with them is that when installed so that all mufflers are bypassed, the sound is more just unrefined noise. A good idea would be installing the cutout after the center resonator(s) and before the rear mufflers so the tone is still somewhat controlled. Good Luck!
I know exhausts aren't much for power-maybe a few at the top end for a really well designed exhaust. I just want OEM quiet (or even quieter) and ear bleeding modes with the flip of a switch.
I'm glad vendors see a thread like this! People keep making threads asking about dual mode... Chevy puts them in most of their sporty cars... dunno why the Mustang didn't have this option! Time for the aftermarket to capitalize!

Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Just get an electric cut out. Google it if you're not familiar.
there you go. Or even cheaper with just cutouts that you manually open.

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium
i too have the full xforce system with no cats and it isn't ear bleeding loud with the valves open (due to the mid muffler for the cat back) but it does scream real good when you get on it.

when the valves are closed, even without cats, you get a stock like sound with a nice growl to it. and for the price of the full system, it's an awesome deal. quality is great as well.

they have a lot of stuff in the works as well

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
can you please post vids? There is a huge lack of videos of cutouts on the s550

whipstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kev
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Here is a video of the xforce full system, its a bit dark but you only need the sound :-)
the valve is remote control so you can have it anywhere from fully closed to fully open.
http://sendvid.com/4n5ycq0r

Sponsored

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Video please?

With longtubes and catless mids, I'm leaning towards the Roush. I have a way to make them active without paying their ridiculous $2600.
How's that?

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium
http://sendvid.com/76oylikm

here's a video of mine...full xforce exhaust with no cats. they now have an app that you can fully set parameters for the exhaust...so you can have it set to fully closed or partially open when you're at a certain rpm, and when you leave that range, it fully opens it