Sponsored

DSC Sport controller - Post your experience

Seven

HPDE for me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150 Platinum Diesel FX4 / '16 Audi S3 Viper Green APR Stage 3+ / '19 GT350R / 17 Camaro SS 1LE 575whp all motor (sold) / '15 C7Z 650whp (sold)
Specifically curious if the ride was softened/stiffened with the "out of the box" calibration on Normal and Sport modes.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I drove a 350R at COTA 2 weekends ago that had one. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the feel of the base DSC calibration it had. The car was a bit more unpredictable with aggressive weight shifts (such as going through the esses). The car was also a bit stiff under sharp bumps (sausage kerbs). I can’t say for sure since I only had a few laps behind the wheel, but it felt like compression was too stiff and rebound to quick. But can’t say for sure.

All in all, it didn’t feel as “smooth“ as the OEM calibration does.

OP
OP
Seven

Seven

HPDE for me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150 Platinum Diesel FX4 / '16 Audi S3 Viper Green APR Stage 3+ / '19 GT350R / 17 Camaro SS 1LE 575whp all motor (sold) / '15 C7Z 650whp (sold)
I drove a 350R at COTA 2 weekends ago that had one. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the feel of the base DSC calibration it had. The car was a bit unpredictable with aggressive weight shifts (such as going through the esses). All in all, it didn’t feel as “smooth“ as the OEM calibration does.
Thanks for the input. Honestly I kind of want the controller for the street to soften the car up on uneven pavement/non-glass smooth roads.
I could totally live with swapping out the controller (to put back the stock one) on track days if it offered better street manners with the DSC.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I had the DSC Controller stock calibration for the GT350 out of the box and it didn't feel right partly because I had the R springs mixed in. It felt softer and bouncer in the normal mode. I swapped out the dampers to R and loaded the R calibration and it feels much better and more planted just like it should be and not harsh at all in the normal mode. You could say it feels more "balance". The sport mode feels more harsh over tough terrains but not too bad.

Meraki Autoworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Thanks for the input. Honestly I kind of want the controller for the street to soften the car up on uneven pavement/non-glass smooth roads.
I could totally live with swapping out the controller (to put back the stock one) on track days if it offered better street manners with the DSC.
The controller is supposed to make daily driving more livable and sport more sporty.. The DSC would be a improvement on the track vs the regular controller, but if you needed to, swapping out the units aren't too bad!

I had the DSC Controller stock calibration for the GT350 out of the box and it didn't feel right partly because I had the R springs mixed in. It felt softer and bouncer in the normal mode. I swapped out the dampers to R and loaded the R calibration and it feels much better and more planted just like it should be and not harsh at all in the normal mode. You could say it feels more "balance". The sport mode feels more harsh over tough terrains but not too bad.
Sorry to hear about the out of box experience but glad you got it worked out to your liking now. Thanks again Kenny.

-Josh

Sponsored

11GT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I had an experience similar to@BoomBoy. The DSC controller didn't feel particularly great with the OEM 350 springs and porpoised excessively over undulations in the road. R springs, shocks & struts and the R calibration were considerably better.

I used the controller for about six months before it failed. I bought it second hand and haven't bothered to reach out to DSC. I just put the factory controller back in and have been driving it that way for a few months now..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seven

Seven

HPDE for me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I have an R so I think this might work for me

11GT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Cortex may still offer one with their calibration.

Meraki Autoworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
I had an experience similar to@BoomBoy. The DSC controller didn't feel particularly great with the OEM 350 springs and porpoised excessively over undulations in the road. R springs, shocks & struts and the R calibration were considerably better.

I used the controller for about six months before it failed. I bought it second hand and haven't bothered to reach out to DSC. I just put the factory controller back in and have been driving it that way for a few months now..

You should try reaching out to them, they have great customer support.

Well I have an R so I think this might work for me
Yes the DSC controller will work on your R, let us know if you'd like one, we are a dealer for them.

-Josh

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
To be blunt here, I haven't met a single person that was happy with the DSC unit long-term. It's got very questionable build quality (I've personally seen 4 fail from bad solder joints - albeit all used on track) and as all experiences so far here have shown - questionable improvements in performance.

This comes down to a few reasons, I think. Bad build quality as mentioned above and the OEM shocks not being designed for this level of adjustability. Keep in mind the physical shocks are different on the R and Non-R car to deal with the different programming. These just aren't robust enough to tuned like a true coil over set.

It might work for your intended use case, but it's definitely not something I'd ever recommend. You're not going to really be able to overcome the spring rates with little adjustments - it's the same reason many luxury cars use air suspension vs magneride-like systems to jump between stiff and soft (and I mean soft, not "less hard"). If I were you, I'd spend the $ on a set of soft sidewall tires like the Continental DWS tires that will soften the ride on the street (and eliminate tram lining while you're at it).

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
... If I were you, I'd spend the $ on a set of soft sidewall tires like the Continental DWS tires that will soften the ride on the street (and eliminate tram lining while you're at it).
My GT350 is equipped with GT350R springs, shocks, struts and bars, and a Ford VDM with GT350R code in it. As @honeybadger said, with a set of 255/40+265/40 Michelin A/S3's on 9.5" rims and the chassis in comfort mode, the Ford calibration gives a pleasantly smooth and well controlled ride. I can get a similar result with the DSC controller, but it's difficult to do better.

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
I am a bit surprised, my experience on rough streets and railroad crossings has been night and day, the controller really made it manageable.

valdlaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roman
Vehicle(s)
GT350
You should try reaching out to them, they have great customer support.

Yes the DSC controller will work on your R, let us know if you'd like one, we are a dealer for them.

-Josh
Really? I guess maybe I had a one off experience then. My DCS controller failed and when I tried to contact them they took weeks to get back to me. After making some excuse for taking so long to send an email they never followed up again regarding my questions about getting the unit repaired.

Meraki Autoworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Sorry to hear.. As a dealer for them we get pretty good support from them when we run into any issues. Might've just got them in an off-time. They always pick up the phone, that I know of.

-Josh
Sponsored