Dry Chem, Halon, or Halotron?

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
So I’ve been shopping fire extinguishers for the Mach 1 for track days.

First, I know a dedicated fire suppression system would be best. I have one in my Lemons car because it’s required, and clearly this type of system with its large bottle and fixed nozzles under the hood and in the cabin is clearly superior to a little 2.5 pound bottle. But, for a car that will do 3-5 track days a year and the rest of the time on the street, it’s not really a desirable option.

I recently discovered Halon has been mostly outlawed, and the extinguishers that are out there are getting hard to fill and quite expensive.

Dry chem is an inexpensive and reliable option, but using one pretty much guarantees you’re pulling the car apart to clean and remove all the parts it’s going to corrode, so that’s less than desirable as well.

Anyone have any experience with the Halotron? Seems like a good compromise option. Non-corrosive, half the price of Halon, little easier to get recharged. (Apparently not quite as effective as Halon?)

I am aware some carry and like the little road flare looking suppression device, but I’m not convinced that can be deployed under a closed hood with great effectiveness, although I don’t know that to be fact.

Just wondering what you guys carry, and if anyone has any actual experience deploying one in the field?
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine at Home Depot

1687270059273.png

@PaddyPrix has unfortunately had to use his before. I think he used the same type.

I wouldn't worry so much about clean-up and rather use whatever works best. You won't need to worry about clean-up if your car is burnt to the ground.

OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
I got mine at Home Depot

1687270059273.png

@PaddyPrix has unfortunately had to use his before. I think he used the same type.

I wouldn't worry so much about clean-up and rather use whatever works best. You won't need to worry about clean-up if your car is burnt to the ground.
Yes and no….If it’s a small fire, like ATF on the exhaust, or if you go off into the weeds and a small brush fire starts, dry chem can leave residue that creates corrosion after.

But I agree with you that getting the fire out is priority one. That’s why I was asking if anyone knew if Halotron was as good as dry chem.

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
What about AFFF:

https://pitstopusa.com/i-24008638-lifeline-afff-hand-held-size-1-75-liter.html?ref=category:132661

Easier to clean up after a small fire and I would think it would be ideal on a grass fire. Pitstop USA also sells quick release fire bottle mounts.

Regarding a fire in a modern car with a full interior - you main focus should be a fire bottle that helps you get out of the car.
If anything in the interior catches fire, the car will burn to the ground, cause I’m not sticking around. The toxic fumes from the plastics and electrical systems will kill you long before the flames do.

Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.👍

Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
I can say that a standard BC worked in a pinch, as a 5# bottle is all of what, $30? I didn't have any issues with corrosion, but that's only because the fire melted most of my engine harnesses, and I had to replace half of the electronics but all the others didn't have any issues with corrosion. Like Eric said, the fact that you're out of the car is already pretty good. I would say to buy a slightly larger bottle if you can afford the space to do so, or carry another 5# bottle in another easy to reach place, as they do not last long, maybe 15 seconds? I was fortunate that my coolant hose exploding drenched me and the last remaining bits of the fire with boiling water.

My next race car is going to be Novec 1230 or Halotron, both are environmentally friendly and are liquid gasses that evaporate/dissipate pretty much immediately after they put the fire out. ABF would be like somebody throwing a bubble bath on it, and AFFF I believe depending on where you live, you're required to contact state or local authorities as the PFAS discharged will raise health and environmental concerns/issues, but I'd guess that'd depend on the quantity used, where a 5# bottle might be okay, but a whole fire truck tanker might not. Dunno.

For those asking, those fire extinguisher ball things do work, but not in this application, reason being is that we're generally moving at a good rate of speed, or at tracks which typically have a slight to firm wind breeze. That last part is what does it in, but definitely worth having one around home where the confined space and lack of airflow helps raise its effectiveness, but still have a fire extinguisher too.

OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
I can say that a standard BC worked in a pinch, as a 5# bottle is all of what, $30? I didn't have any issues with corrosion, but that's only because the fire melted most of my engine harnesses, and I had to replace half of the electronics but all the others didn't have any issues with corrosion. Like Eric said, the fact that you're out of the car is already pretty good. I would say to buy a slightly larger bottle if you can afford the space to do so, or carry another 5# bottle in another easy to reach place, as they do not last long, maybe 15 seconds? I was fortunate that my coolant hose exploding drenched me and the last remaining bits of the fire with boiling water.

My next race car is going to be Novec 1230 or Halotron, both are environmentally friendly and are liquid gasses that evaporate/dissipate pretty much immediately after they put the fire out. ABF would be like somebody throwing a bubble bath on it, and AFFF I believe depending on where you live, you're required to contact state or local authorities as the PFAS discharged will raise health and environmental concerns/issues, but I'd guess that'd depend on the quantity used, where a 5# bottle might be okay, but a whole fire truck tanker might not. Dunno.

For those asking, those fire extinguisher ball things do work, but not in this application, reason being is that we're generally moving at a good rate of speed, or at tracks which typically have a slight to firm wind breeze. That last part is what does it in, but definitely worth having one around home where the confined space and lack of airflow helps raise its effectiveness, but still have a fire extinguisher too.
Thanks for the info. Good to hear from someone with real world experience. I appreciate the tips and advice.

On a side note, sorry you had to deal with a fire, and melted harness, glad you’re okay.
Sponsored