Sponsored

Dropped a piece of glove on an intake valve.......

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
Putting my new intake manifold on I ran my ebay camera down the fuel injector holes and saw a piece if rubber glove. Dang it!

So I pulled the manifold off again and vacuumed it up. Not sure it would have caused any damage.

Those clips for the wire loom in the back are broken now from my lack of experience. How important are they? Should I figure out a way to secure the harness?

20210403_154137.jpg

20210403_154333.jpg
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Anything that can burn is usually not a concern. As for the clips, use the tried and true zip tie to secure them as best as you can.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Anything that can burn is usually not a concern. As for the clips, use the tried and true zip tie to secure them as best as you can.
Not sure what I did wrong but trying to torque to spec in the correct sequence a bolt broke..... Story of my life. Cold engine torque specs change? I dont know but I have problem to fix now....

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Not sure what I did wrong but trying to torque to spec in the correct sequence a bolt broke..... Story of my life. Cold engine torque specs change? I dont know but I have problem to fix now....
More than likely your torque wrench is just out of calibration. Which bolt broke, and intake manifold bolt? Those ones are touchy. Some bolts also just have a short life, especially torque to yield ones that require you to add an extra _Degrees. Should replace those every time to be safe.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
More than likely your torque wrench is just out of calibration. Which bolt broke, and intake manifold bolt? Those ones are touchy. Some bolts also just have a short life, especially torque to yield ones that require you to add an extra _Degrees. Should replace those every time to be safe.
Yeah an intake manifold bolt. Snapped off in the head and I cant grab a piece of it. I would have replaced the bolts but they arent removable at least without breaking something. At least I cant figure out how to remove them.

Well im stuck. Might have to tow it to a shop now

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah an intake manifold bolt. Snapped off in the head and I cant grab a piece of it. I would have replaced the bolts but they arent removable at least without breaking something. At least I cant figure out how to remove them.

Well im stuck. Might have to tow it to a shop now
The intake manifold bolts are easy to drill out, so do that carefully and chase with a thread chaser to clean up the threads.

Alternatively if that's uncomfortable, you can try to notch the broken piece deep enough to get a flathead screwdriver into it and turn it out. Or you can use a hammer and a fine tip chisel to hammer it counterclockwise until you can grab it with vise grips. Plenty of methods, so don't' give up just yet.

I think there is a way to remove the IM bolts, but since I haven't done it I'm not sure. I think Wildhorse just went through this, maybe PM him.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
The intake manifold bolts are easy to drill out, so do that carefully and chase with a thread chaser to clean up the threads.

Alternatively if that's uncomfortable, you can try to notch the broken piece deep enough to get a flathead screwdriver into it and turn it out. Or you can use a hammer and a fine tip chisel to hammer it counterclockwise until you can grab it with vise grips. Plenty of methods, so don't' give up just yet.

I think there is a way to remove the IM bolts, but since I haven't done it I'm not sure. I think Wildhorse just went through this, maybe PM him.
That never worked for me. Usually the metal ended up being too soft or the bolt too wedged in and the screw driver didn't bite. Then I just made it harder to actually extract the bolt the right way.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That never worked for me. Usually the metal ended up being too soft or the bolt too wedged in and the screw driver didn't bite. Then I just made it harder to actually extract the bolt the right way.
Given these bolts have a low torque value, those methods are more likely to work. But I don't necessarily disagree. In my experience drilling is always the easiest and fastest ways. Extractors almost never work it seems like, and when they break, it makes it 100x harder.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This is what I'm working with.

Examining where the snapped bolt was I also noticed a hairline crack. Its outside the gasket area so it shouldn't affect anything but maybe I should buy another manifold now. Blah

20210403_164321.jpg

20210403_170619.jpg
I'd definitely get another torque wrench after you have that removed and you go to put it back together.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I'd definitely get another torque wrench after you have that removed and you go to put it back together.
I have used it for ever to torque inch lbs and never had any prior issues it was always spot on but maybe I need a higher quality one

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Use caution with the bolt extractors. They tend to break more often than they work and they're near impossible to drill out once that happens. I hate the goddamn things.

Center drill a pilot hole dead center then drill out and retap is the way I'd go with that one.
Sponsored