Sponsored

Driver's window will not go back up intermittently.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
I had my '19 GT for two days now, obviously I drove it almost every single second I had a change (which means I spent more time in my car than I did inside my house)...

Everything worked perfectly (including the 4.5 hour drive after I picked up the vehicle and driving it back home).

Last night, I was about to do a Sync 3.4 update, and before I even started the update, I noticed that the driver's window wouldn't go up. I had it cracked open about 1/2", and then as I was going to plug the USB in, I decided to pull up on the window. It didn't move up, but when I pull the switch up all the way and release, it would not go up, but would do the 1/4" drop that it does at the top like you are opening the door. It would do this over and over and keep creeping the window down everytime I tried to pull up on the window.

The window goes down perfectly fine. It just won't comes back up, and it does the little 1/4" drop everytime I try to pull the switch up.

I did the sync update anyway, in the cold (34º), and then after the sync update, it reset sync, and I turned off my car, open/close door, and then turn it back on. Lo and behold, I try pulling window switch up, and the window does come up! I tried open/closing window multiple times, double checked that it works fine, then turned vehicle off.

I got out this morning (28ºF), and started car, left it idling until engine and interior was warm, and then drove to work 7min away. As I pull into the parkinglot, a colleague waved hi, so I cracked my window open and said hello. I pull into my parking spot and then...

Window is not going up again...
I turned the car off, and locked it (even double pressed lock on remote), walked away for 15 min, came back later, and no joy. Now it's sitting in the parkinglot with the drive's wiindow wide open...

If anyone has a quick idea, I would really appreciate it, as closed window would be a good thing for me. Thank you.

-Sage
Sponsored

OP
OP
pyrophilus

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Of course, I call my dealer (that I have been a customer for 5+ years) and they tell me, "Sorry, we are booked completely through and of December and the next earliest that we can take appointments is maybe the first week of January." Apparently, they are only taking appointments for oil changes and whatnots...

Things(dealers) are soooo different up here than it was in Va (where I picked it up).

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Does it go up and then back down or just doesn't go all the way up?

I'd drive into the dealer unannounced and go in and ask.

OP
OP
pyrophilus

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does it go up and then back down or just doesn't go all the way up?

I'd drive into the dealer unannounced and go in and ask.
It will not go up at all.

In my 2017, I have had a case where the window would go all the way up, and then all the way down, and this is not the case here.

It also doesn't seem like it is stuck or sticking going up as it is smooth when I make it go down, and when I try to raise it, it doesn't even make a single sound, and then when I release switch, it drops the window 1/4".

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will not go up at all.

In my 2017, I have had a case where the window would go all the way up, and then all the way down, and this is not the case here.

It also doesn't seem like it is stuck or sticking going up as it is smooth when I make it go down, and when I try to raise it, it doesn't even make a single sound, and then when I release switch, it drops the window 1/4".
Time for a plastic bag and duct tape until you can get the dealer to fix it.

OP
OP
pyrophilus

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
pyrophilus

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone have a linkt oa drive's switch removal? I will be working nonstop until lunch, but I think I will pop out during lunch. Is the switch something where I can just "jump" terminals in the connector to try to simulate the up press?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if this is your answer as fact. And don't have the desire or time to prove it. Cause as long as the windows open and close I'm kind of good with that.

Sometimes it is the window position. If all the way open or closed, a pull or push, then release of the button, the window will fully cycle to the up/down position .

In-between up/down the switch needs to be activated until the window is fully up/down.

Sponsored
OP
OP
pyrophilus

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just went back out now (had 20 min). I went out armed with my leatherman to try to open up the door trim and get at the switch...

I went to "acc" (ignition button with no clutch or brake applied), and tried closing the driver's window. Nothing.
I tried to passenger side, works fine.

I then decided to move the car to a spot where people can't see that my driver's window is open, so I turn on ignition.
Before even releasing parking brake, I decide to try to window switch one more time, and IT GOES UP!

I am scared to test to see if it works again, so I will not be opening the driver's window until I (or someone else here helps me to) figure this one out.

When I try pressing down (halfway or all the way down), I can hear the widnow motor hit the bottom stop, and the motor disengage. I tried to keep it pressed down for 10+ seconds, and then tried puling window up, nothing. It was only after I restarted the car it worked.

And when I had this problem last night and this morning, yes, I did turn car off, and recycle ignition, turn car off, step out, lock it, unlock it, enter and turn on ignition, all to no avail.

I also tried to press lock twice on remote (read something about deep sleep mode), and nothing.

I also did a Sync 3.4 reset to factory default via the menu, and it also did nothing.

I am scratching my head on this one.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be taking off the door trim, but I would not be using any leatherman tool though!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'd be taking off the door trim, but I would not be using any leatherman tool though!
Yeah, I would second that. And thinking this is how you are going to handle the door panel maybe you should stop by a dealer. :facepalm: :crackup::thumbsup:

OP
OP
pyrophilus

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I totally agree, but I did not want to leave my car in the parkinglot with the driver's door open. I took my leatherman with a ton of paper/paper towels. I also took some wooden splints (from my chem lab), and went outside, hoping I could just "pop" the trim off the door panel with paper towel-wrapped flathead...

But as I tried to turn on ignition, the window is working again... Go figure. I have been using the window SOOO many times since Saturday morning (obviously because it's my first with V8 let alone active exhaust)... and problem started last night.

OP
OP
pyrophilus

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I did call the dealer that I normally go to (in CT) and the receptionist said, "sorry, we are booked through end of December, so we can't see you until 1st week of January" (other than routine oil changes and maintenance)...

I understand that and didn't say anything, called the nearest ford to my house (which has the worst dealer/service ratings of any Ford I have ever seen), and of course the first questions is, "Did you get the car from us?" and then, "No? I... Don't really have a spot until next week to take a look at it"...

At this point, I just want someone to tell me if the car is throwing error codes (as I figure this does not seem like a physical defect), so I emailed the owner of the dealer that I normally go to, and asked him if he had any recommendations for a decent dealer I may go to just this once. I honestly was going to continue going to his dealership for any warranty work, but I really just needed someone to see if there are error codes.

I got an apology and an email from the owner (it wasn't necessary), and a call from the service manager...

While this is a better experience than the dealer near my house (Scarsdale Ford), I feel like this is such a stark contrast to the experience I had in Va, when I was picking up the car.
Sponsored