Sponsored

Drivers side oil seperator/catch can?

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Drivers side oil seperator/catch can? Wonder why nobody has made one yet? And what is the electronics on the current breather hose that dumps back into the intake?
Sponsored

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
Don't think a stock car needs one, but I'm sure eventually they will make one.

I'm correct in assuming the HP one that's passenger side doesn't need emptying as it filters the oil back where it came from yeah?

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the passenger one drains back into the valve cover, so no maintenance. But the drivers side breathes right back into the intake, which is never good....

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the passenger one drains back into the valve cover, so no maintenance. But the drivers side breathes right back into the intake, which is never good....
You'd think they would've designed that with some purpose, but I could be totally wrong and Ford is full of buffoons.

I wish more aftermarket separators drained right back into the valve cover so emptying wasn't needed. All of the ones I've seen are normal, including FP's separator for GTs, except they're annoying to open and empty unlike JLTs or any other brands screw off system.

Sponsored

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the screw off types are pretty simple and on a car like this i would just rather empty than drain back into engine. Mostly cause i am curious how much mist is going on. And really on the dirty side you don't want that oil back in the mix, prob not worth worry about but some do.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the screw off types are pretty simple and on a car like this i would just rather empty than drain back into engine. Mostly cause i am curious how much mist is going on. And really on the dirty side you don't want that oil back in the mix, prob not worth worry about but some do.
I'm poised to think they had a good reason other than "owners will forget" to not install an empty vs. a drain system. If the oil is still good, why waste it? Granted this is the first car I've owned with over 500hp, and forced induction.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2023 F150 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
The drivers side pulls air in from the intake tube (not drains into the intake), then goes through the engine, and comes out the passenger side.

I had a driver side UPR can on my last car and I never even saw a hint of oil.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The drivers side pulls air in from the intake tube (not drains into the intake), then goes through the engine, and comes out the passenger side.

The drivers side has no provisions for oil draining or separating it is simply venting the drivers side valve cover into the intake tract. Whether there is enough vent/pressure to introduce oil vapor back into the intake is debatable but on a boosted application, and even NA the concern is always there. I'd rather have a catch can on the drivers side just in case. Now if someone tells me NO WAY oil mist is going back into the intake through driver side well then I would just need to understand the argument.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP

There better never be oil on the drivers side of the system. If there is, you have really bad things happening inside your engine... No need to put one there.

Sponsored

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
There better never be oil on the drivers side of the system. If there is, you have really bad things happening inside your engine... No need to put one there.
That's incorrect. Under idle/part throttle yes the drivers side valve cover is drawing air from the intake, with the intake manifold sucking air in from the passenger side. But under WOT, there is no vacuum on the passenger side, and the drivers side will actually reverse and act as a crankcase vent into the intake tube. Easier for gasses to escape through the drivers side under wot as there is no PCV valve in the way as there is on the passenger side. In saying that unless you have large amounts of blowby I couldn't imagine a whole heap of oil being dumped into the intake, but you'd be surprised at how much blowby can be produced by a FI motor at high rpms.

When you look at the percentage of Idle/PT driving to WOT driving, and then add in that at Idle/PT there is a vacuum applied to the valve cover, you can see why a driver's side separator is a second thought to the passenger side,

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
That's incorrect. Under idle/part throttle yes the drivers side valve cover is drawing air from the intake, with the intake manifold sucking air in from the passenger side. But under WOT, there is no vacuum on the passenger side, and the drivers side will actually reverse and act as a crankcase vent into the intake tube. Easier for gasses to escape through the drivers side under wot as there is no PCV valve in the way as there is on the passenger side. In saying that unless you have large amounts of blowby I couldn't imagine a whole heap of oil being dumped into the intake, but you'd be surprised at how much blowby can be produced by a FI motor at high rpms.

When you look at the percentage of Idle/PT driving to WOT driving, and then add in that at Idle/PT there is a vacuum applied to the valve cover, you can see why a driver's side separator is a second thought to the passenger side,
I have mostly FI cars, and have never seen enough blow-by to have oil residue on the drivers side.
I have not measured vacuum at full throttle, but my point is that if a catch can is collecting oil on the driverā€™s side, there is ā€œa lotā€ of blow by going on and that is not good for these cars (not talking race prepped cars or those with open breathers).
If someone wants to install one, go ahead. But if you find oil in it, get your checkbook ready.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know what that electronic device is on the driver side vent hose running to intake? Valve? Sensor?

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I have mostly FI cars, and have never seen enough blow-by to have oil residue on the drivers side.
I have not measured vacuum at full throttle, but my point is that if a catch can is collecting oil on the driverā€™s side, there is ā€œa lotā€ of blow by going on and that is not good for these cars (not talking race prepped cars or those with open breathers).
If someone wants to install one, go ahead. But if you find oil in it, get your checkbook ready.
Well on my GT350, after a track day I will see a thin oily residue on the drivers side. Not pooling oil, jut a thin amount that you have to wipe your finger over to be able to tell. Now I agree with you that one should not be seeing much, especially on new vehicles and the tolerances they are built at, but just stating that it does happen. Over a thousands of miles that oil residue will just build up. Not a big issue though.

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Does anyone know what that electronic device is on the driver side vent hose running to intake? Valve? Sensor?
That's really interesting. Too bad I don't have mine yet to have a look. Do you have any close up photos of it?
Sponsored