Sponsored

Drive modes - anyone have the detail about what changes in a manual car?

Lucky Pierre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
Hi all. I'm interested in this for when I run on track, and I haven't found a thread that provides much detail.
Recently, in the full wet, the race instructor suggested leaving it in normal although I thought Sport+ was better. But what exactly does Sport+ and Track mode affect? In a manual car, is it merely throttle sensitivity and stability control threshold? I still have traction control as a separate toggle I see. Thanks in advance. LP.
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
All exact same except with changed shift schedule, and shift firmness on the auto. So yes in a manual car the throttle sensitivity, and stability/traction control parameters.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hi all. I'm interested in this for when I run on track, and I haven't found a thread that provides much detail.
Recently, in the full wet, the race instructor suggested leaving it in normal although I thought Sport+ was better.
Sport+ may well be a too-aggressive choice for most track newbies under full wet conditions - the margin between what Sport+ allows and whatever is more than either you or it can catch in the wet may be too narrow for instructor comfort. Too little margin of safety for the learning of basic track driving skills that you're supposed to be doing if you're at all inclined to use too much throttle anywhere (something your instructor wouldn't know until well into the first session at the soonest).

Norm

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....what exactly does Sport+ and Track mode affect? In a manual car, is it merely throttle sensitivity and stability control threshold?
Destroy your rear brakes?

Recently, in the full wet, the race instructor suggested leaving it in normal....
"Race instructor"? Or driving instructor?

Do you mean you took a track-day course? If you run your car on a track with the nannies on, you will smoke your brakes fast. The TC/SC system woks on the rear brakes, and eats them up. I'm surprised a "race instructor" told you to leave the AdvanceTrac on, that doesn't teach you anything about throttle control. He/she must have been scared to be in the car on the track for some reason.

Last edited:

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
For me being new to a stick (about 10 years since I drove one ) sport plus seems to be easier to get going and rev match for me. And the rain mode definitely helps when it's crap outside

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm surprised a "race instructor" told you to leave the AdvanceTrac on, that doesn't teach you anything about throttle control.
Actually, it's pretty common for track day entities to request (or even insist) that drivers at least at the novice level leave the nannies on. At least at some level, on instead of off, more sensitive vs less so.

There is no clear way for either the track day organization or any individual instructor to know how disciplined any given [novice] student is going to be with the controls or how much he is capable of safely coping with once the pace moves up much past highway driving speed. Not until the first session is nearing its checkered flag at the very earliest, and only then for maybe the very best novices.

As the years pass, fewer novices are going to have any experience driving anywhere without the nannies being present - for many of the youngest among us, they're already there. Suddenly turning it all off at their first track day would be akin to asking them to jump into water that's well over their head without knowing if they even know how to float.

Norm

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
For premium, sport+ changes traction control and stability control calibration as well as gas pedal response and backs off power steering.
Track mode turns electronics all off but maintains the gas pedal response and power steering.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Sorry to hijack your thread, OP, but NovaGT mentioned the TC/SC eating up the rear brakes and there's something I've been wondering about. I know our cars have bad wheel hop, but for me personally, I'm wondering if I'm mistaking pulsating braking from the TC/SC system with wheel hop. What do you guys think?

Sponsored

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I have done several track days and the instructor at the drivers meeting have all said turn baby sitters off. I have always gone track mode with advance track fully off (hold switch for about 6 seconds)

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The owners manual does describe the different settings in some detail.

As for noobs at the track, best to follow the instructor's advise. If they think its safer for you with the nannies on, so be it. Eventually you'll want them off, but IDK about disabling the safety nets at first. Hot rear breaks or rear diff is a whole lot better than a wrecked car.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Sorry to hijack your thread, OP, but NovaGT mentioned the TC/SC eating up the rear brakes and there's something I've been wondering about. I know our cars have bad wheel hop, but for me personally, I'm wondering if I'm mistaking pulsating braking from the TC/SC system with wheel hop. What do you guys think?
So, does TC step in on wheel-spinning starts? Causing something that feels like wheel-hop?

Dunno. I turn everything all the way off every time I get in the car. I highly suggest that to everyone.

I can tell you that my 2016 shows almost 0 wheel hop in comparison to my 2011, which was terrible.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
The owners manual does describe the different settings in some detail.

As for noobs at the track, best to follow the instructor's advise. If they think its safer for you with the nannies on, so be it. Eventually you'll want them off, but IDK about disabling the safety nets at first. Hot rear breaks or rear diff is a whole lot better than a wrecked car.

If the instructor is in the car with you he wants the nannies on

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Can I achieve better throttle response by getting a tune on base GT that will be similar to having premium sport+ mode?
Sponsored