Sponsored

Drag 5.0 from Ford; lets tell them how to build it!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Actually I do somewhat. As soon as Ram announced they were installing the Hellcat engine in the TRX, Ford countered with news that the Raptor was getting the GT500 engine. Why does Mustang not get the same respect?
Well to start 1,000,000 units sales vs. what, 100, 000+. Pickups are Ford's bread and butter. The Mustang is a name that Ford wants to use for EV's. Apples and oranges.
Sponsored

SlowWhite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2012 Shelby GT500
I had a scat pack challenger before picking up my S550... challenger is a great road car but... the problem with that car.. it’s a throw back to a car that was only built 70-74... yeah they’ve added special editions, revised the interior (which was much needed) and changed up the grille/tail lights. They have nowhere to go styling wise.. mustangs have been around since before and all the years after.. it’s selling point will also be the reason it’ll self destruct..they're 12 years in and the car is pretty much the same since 2008.

As mentioned before.. the SS Challenger, COPO, and the Cobra Jet aren't street legal. They also can’t be registered since they don’t have a VIN.

I think a drag race inspired model would be great.. factory installed drag radials, transbrake, adjustable shocks/struts, ford racing/whipple blower... could be fun

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Very true, but Dodge is winning many buyers over with those bloated relics because of the special editions. Ford adds 20 HP and calls it special.
Dodge also does a lot more leases and they kept the V6 and they have an awd V6 which makes some people more comfortable buying an awd V6 which they can drive all year versus a 2.3 turbo rwd that’s much slower and would struggle in the snow. We would have to see the breakdown in V8 sales to really compare Dodge sales to Ford sales as well as what portion is the 5.7 hemi because the V6 and 5.7 hemi are the ones I see the most around here and I know for a fact that in the mustang the ecoboost outsells the GT.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gregsdart

gregsdart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt a10 pp1 301 base
I ask that if you desire to see a response to the competition, give us a run down on what you want. I would appreciate the post sticking to that.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I ask that if you desire to see a response to the competition, give us a run down on what you want. I would appreciate the post sticking to that.
I would want Ford to just sell me a 300A Mustang shell then without an engine, suspension, windows, panels then that’s more than enough of a starting point to work with. Then I’ll just do lightweight panels, windows, etc. Do the suspension work myself, wheels, tires etc. Get a built motor and slap some turbos on. Come in at a price point way under the competition and actually have a drag car.

Other than a completely stripped out car we can’t really ask ford to give something to respond to the competition when it already has something. A base shelby is 73995 and people have already done 10.6-10.7 passes in them stock. A super stock which is the only competition really being built from the factory for the sole purpose of driving in a straight line runs a 10.5 (on factory NT05R radials) for 80000. Which is insane when you consider 80000 dollars is getting you a car that’s only good in a straight line and might even be a downgrade from a hellcat red eye because to fit the wheels it has smaller brakes up front. But anyways you still have 6000 dollars to throw a bit more power at the shelby and easily beat the super stock (or just add NT05R radials to match the super stock and keep the rest of the money).

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
They are competing for the same sales. Challenger has been making real sales progress. They passed Camaro, and Ford obviously doesn't care to maintain their sales lead.
That's a bit of a blanket statement. Some people might look at both, but a Challenger is a much, much larger and heavier car, and much more about family (usable rear seats and pure straight-line speed. Mustangs are much smaller, and more about 2 people max.

Mustangs are more all-around performance vehicles, Challengers are more about pure acceleration.

Most people considering a Mustang wouldn't be interested in a Challenger, and vice-versa.

And you can't say Ford doesn't care about sales. The Mustang has many, many different models, with new ones coming out all the time. Hell, the Mach 1 just came out!!!
Sponsored