Down Shift Rev Matching Question

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
It's fairly complex to do it right, especially without the right sensors. Here are two patents that go into the details, with the FCA one being more recent.

https://patents.google.com/patent/EP2035727B1/en?q=rev&q=match&oq=rev+match
https://patents.google.com/patent/US9567920B2/en?q=rev&q=match&oq=rev+match

I know the C7 has sensors on the shifting mechanism, i'm guessing to help predict gear change (e.g. up/right = +, straight down = +, and the others being downshifts). I looked into it a while ago for the heck of it, and even PM'd HextallS550 briefly, and it's much more complicated than it seems. Auto-blip is nice, but it isn't perfect by any means. An OEM solution will know the gearing and will know darn near the exact RPM the engine needs to be at once you get off the clutch pedal.

Interestingly enough, HP Tuners has the ability to specify how fast the engine "decelerates" when decelerating (= foot off the gas). Essentially auto blip. If you set it to decelerate slower, the revs will hang more, and when you let the clutch out after downshifting, a greater portion of the revs will still be there. According to the file I have, above 880RPM, the value is set to decelerate at 3000 RPMs per second. E.g. if you wind it out to 7000 RPM, and you can apply the clutch, shift, and let out the clutch in half a second, without touching the gas, the RPM should be 5500RPM. I've found the revs fall too fast (Hence the need to "blip" the throttle, but I did notice that when I shift fast, the Mustang does seem to hold the revs longer.

Setting it to 1000 RPMs per second, would "hold" a lot more revs in between shifts, but might be too awkward to use during relaxed street driving. It would be nice if this setting were changeable by drive modes, but if it is, it isn't anywhere in the values HP Tuners exposes.

^^^ This is all theory as I have not messed with it, but the table is there (Engine > Idle > Torque > Decel Torque > Decel Max Rate Drive (And also Decel Max Rate Neutral)). Although this sounds like it's for an auto, it's not. "Drive" means gears 1-6. [The neutral tables don't set the revs to fall at 3000 RPM/per second until 3000RPM though, so I'm not positive which table would technically be used since it's in between shifts]

Make some great points, in the FRS it was good, but never really seamless unless really pushing hard. Then it worked great for me. Other then that the only car I’ve ever been in with autoblip is a 18 Camaro 1SS 1LE of my friends and it’s just under street driving but it’s damn near perfect and makes me regret not waiting until I could’ve found a 19. This idiot here thought it was cool jumping out of airplanes in the Army and my ankles don’t have any where close to the movement needed in the mustang to properly rev match while braking. Decades I never cared about rev matching then I did a lot of track days and just habit ever since until the mustang. I could rev match my ST once I got a pedal spacer, but the mustangs isn’t any where close to the inch the ST’s pedal spacer was. I’ve read where people have said Fords autoblip is even better then GM’s. Ive gone up to Ford hoping to find my same car in a 19 with zero for 72 months but no luck lol.
Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Make some great points, in the FRS it was good, but never really seamless unless really pushing hard. Then it worked great for me. Other then that the only car I’ve ever been in with autoblip is a 18 Camaro 1SS 1LE of my friends and it’s just under street driving but it’s damn near perfect and makes me regret not waiting until I could’ve found a 19. This idiot here thought it was cool jumping out of airplanes in the Army and my ankles don’t have any where close to the movement needed in the mustang to properly rev match while braking. Decades I never cared about rev matching then I did a lot of track days and just habit ever since until the mustang. I could rev match my ST once I got a pedal spacer, but the mustangs isn’t any where close to the inch the ST’s pedal spacer was. I’ve read where people have said Fords autoblip is even better then GM’s. Ive gone up to Ford hoping to find my same car in a 19 with zero for 72 months but no luck lol.
I will try to remember to reply more, but before I forgot, I sincerely thank you for your service. My father was in the Army and Air force.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I will try to remember to reply more, but before I forgot, I sincerely thank you for your service. My father was in the Army and Air force.
my father and brother deserve thanks, 25 years and 15 years service, I went Airborne and on my third jump my left knee and right ankle went opposite of where they should’ve and that was the end of my service. I spent a long time doing everything I could to help like working at NTC and helping training, but I don’t deserve any thanks, i didn’t mean to come off that I was actually a soldier, that’s my fault and I apologize.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I practice on backroads sometimes. I'm nowhere near good at it yet, but I find it near impossible to practice on streets and too much going on at the track.

Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just get the autoblip, it works great and your mental effort can rather focus on achieving maximum braking effort and car control entering the corner.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Practice Practice Practice.....
On the street it can be harder as @NightmareMoon stated.
another place to learn and practice is a simulator and iRacing
there is a cost to get into sim racing but its tons of fun and great for learning/developing skills.
Personally I find iRacing to be worse than useless for practicing shifting (especially for an H pattern, synchro gearbox) . Thier shifter model wants you to shift in the wrong sequence, which throws off the timing. At best it will teach you to shift slowly, at worst it will teach you to shift incorrectly leading to issues when you do it for real.
Sponsored