Does this sound good or like the tick?

5.0_Fever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Vehicle(s)
2014 Lexus IS250 F sport, 2018 Mustang GT PP1 401a
Hey everyone I am currently on the hunt for a 2018 Mustang GT. I found one a couple states over the exact one I wanted but since I’m about 9 hours away from the vehicle I asked the salesman at the dealer to send me a video recording of the car and so I could hear the engine, he agreed.

I would really like others opinion on how the car sounds. I just want to make sure I’m making a good decision, any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Mine has the tick, so I’m reasonably familiar with what it sounds like. I did not hear the tick in that video. That doesn’t mean it’s not there or won’t come at some point in the future. But based off that video I heard nothing concerning.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
It doesn't sound bad, but realize it's running just after a cold start. What the salesman needs to do is let it warm up and settle down to the 600 RPM idle and then recorded down low behind both front wheels and keep the camera there for 10~15 seconds to get a good recording. Best thing would be for him to go drive it a few miles then do the recording.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I didn't hear the tick in the video but as already stated you need to let the car warm up fully, then idle and listen for the tick. Mine has the rattle when cold at 2K RPM and the intermittent tick but the tick does not show until the car is fully warmed up.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Nope, that's the normal DI noise. Sounds good.

OP
OP
5.0_Fever

5.0_Fever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the feedback, I will ask the salesman if he can do that for me and if everything is well I will go for it.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
No tick. I wouldn't worry about the tick on a new car. It can show up at any time and oddly enough usually after the first or at least an oil change.

The 2k rattle is more alarming for the 18's.

Sponsored
OP
OP
5.0_Fever

5.0_Fever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback, I am not very knowledgeable about mechanics or weird noises coming from the car but I’m trying to learn because it’s definitely convenient. I asked the dealer to do what most mentioned and he sent me these two videos. I think it sounds good but as I said before I am not to familiar with the noises it should not be making. What do you guys think?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ Those sound like pretty normal noises to me. Cell phones are usually super sensitive and pick up all kinds of noises, and if there was some abnormal random ticking it would have been obvious in those recordings. My 2015 sounds similar to that when recorded, but in person it sounds much quieter than in the recording.