Sponsored

Does the BMR Cradle Lockout kit affect the ride height and/or ride dampening/stiffness?

andreop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Does the BMR Cradle Lockout kit affect the ride height? Also, does it make the car ride more firm or soft?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It shouldn't affect the ride height, but it might makes things a bit more firm in your mind because it will support the cradle which means it can't go up and down as much as it might have stock.

The Steeda sub frame support braces are easier to install and provide similar changes. If you do go with the BMR kit, I still definitely recommend Steeda's subframe alignment kit to ensure the cradle goes back into the same position every time and makes sure your wheels/tires are even on both sides of the car!

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
No it does not increase ride height or make the ride more firm. It does however make the rear suspension act more predictably and overall makes the car feel planted and under control especially over broken pavement.

tyoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT ROUSH SC PP
Like the two others said, no affect on ride height and no real affect on ride quality or firmness. It basically helps to align the cradle, and removes a good amount of vertical and lateral movement from the stock cradle bushings.

OP
OP
andreop

andreop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It shouldn't affect the ride height, but it might makes things a bit more firm in your mind because it will support the cradle which means it can't go up and down as much as it might have stock.

The Steeda sub frame support braces are easier to install and provide similar changes. If you do go with the BMR kit, I still definitely recommend Steeda's subframe alignment kit to ensure the cradle goes back into the same position every time and makes sure your wheels/tires are even on both sides of the car!
No it does not increase ride height or make the ride more firm. It does however make the rear suspension act more predictably and overall makes the car feel planted and under control especially over broken pavement.
Like the two others said, no affect on ride height and no real affect on ride quality or firmness. It basically helps to align the cradle, and removes a good amount of vertical and lateral movement from the stock cradle bushings.
Thank you for the responses. This gives me a good idea about how this mod functions.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I think it has to make the ride firmer, at least in certain situations because there is less slack in the IRS mounting that would normally be there stock. I have the CB005 on my car and it seems to transfer more road forces into the chassis which can be felt inside the car.

Often times this mod is combined with lowering springs (as it is in my case) which also increase the above due to the stiffer springs. But it is bad NVH or a bad firm? No in my opinion. I just needed to add this because I see a lot of people say this mod adds zero NVH and I call BS on that. Now IMO it is a good NVH because the rear end is now more connected to the car itself and it also makes the front and the rear ends of the car communicate better as one.

The is one of the best bang for buck mods you can do to this car, although the new CB762 might have something to say about that now.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I also agree, it really cant reduce slop in the subframe without also making it firmer. Maybe its not noticeable (I’ve never heard anyone complain after installing it), but it just seems like any reduced movement in the subframe is going to transmit that movement elsewhere in the car (hopefully the shocks take most of it)

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I also agree, it really cant reduce slop in the subframe without also making it firmer. Maybe its not noticeable (I’ve never heard anyone complain after installing it), but it just seems like any reduced movement in the subframe is going to transmit that movement elsewhere in the car (hopefully the shocks take most of it)
Yeah I've never heard anyone complain. Some may not notice it. Most of the time you probably won't.

But I also noticed the slop in the IRS in simple daily driving. The rear felt like it had to catch up with the front of the car. Really lame IMO. And when the rear breaks loose, the car is unpredictable in many instances which makes it dangerous, especially for a car with this much power.

Due to the above, it's really a necessity. Like the car should've come this way from the factory.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Firmer bushings will transmit more vibration energy and there will be more high frequency content. Chances are, Ford has some arbitrary criteria for what they judge to be acceptable, and they're willing to trade off some dynamic goodness way up there where you're not supposed to be driving on the street in order to meet that.

There's also the matter of individual sensitivity to N or V or H. I dare say there are people on this forum (maybe even in just this section) whose idea of fully acceptable NVH would be completely unacceptable to other members. Ford has to bias their NVH solutions toward those who are more sensitive to it.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Firmer bushings will transmit more vibration energy and there will be more high frequency content. Chances are, Ford has some arbitrary criteria for what they judge to be acceptable, and they're willing to trade off some dynamic goodness way up there where you're not supposed to be driving on the street in order to meet that.

There's also the matter of individual sensitivity to N or V or H. I dare say there are people on this forum (maybe even in just this section) whose idea of fully acceptable NVH would be completely unacceptable to other members. Ford has to bias their NVH solutions toward those who are more sensitive to it.

Norm
And Ford's NVH engineers are irritating little wizards that find the slightest thing even my quite sensitive self didn't notice. Ask me how I know :crackup:
Sponsored