Sponsored

Does the 10 Speed Auto Come In Base Models?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Super noob question: The 10 Speed Automatic started with the 2018 models correct? Did all the 2018 models (including the base models) come with the 10 Speed Automatic? Or was it something you had to pay extra for?

Correct. 10R80 introduction was with the 2018.

An automatic transmission, regardless if it’s the 10R80 in a S550 Mustang or Make/Model/Brand-X, it is usually an upcharge over a manual transmission.

Is it “included”? Depends on how you look at it...one could consider it ‘included’ if you find a vehicle on the Dealer lot with an auto trans, but it’s still an option and upcharge (it will be listed separate on the window sticker from the standard equipment).
Sponsored

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1 (Rapid Red)
I think the OP meant is the A10 the only auto available in the 18+ or does the base models still get the 6R80. The answer is simple, all 18+ mustangs with an auto get the 10R80
Exactly what I meant. Sorry guys I guess I should have specified. You guys all have really awesome feedback. So all automatic 2018+ Models get the 10R80 transmission. Got it!

Injoemomma

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2012 mustang 5.0 6r80, 2019 mustang gt 10r80 PP1, 2019 Ford raptor supercrew
Not all A10’s come with the factory drag mode. 300a base model A10’s do not have it. Aftermarket tune needed to replicate drag mode wot shifts.
I got a 2019 mustang gt 10 speed auto performance package 1. I can’t find drag mode on mine. I thought the PP1 came with it.

Injoemomma

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Technically you don't need an aftermarket tune. You simply need to update to Sync 3 and change the necessary programming with Forscan which will give you driving modes that comes with the 301A. Did it on my '19 GT.
Can you please tell me exactly how to do that? What do I buy? I have a 2019 mustang gt 10 speed with performance package 1 and I thought that would give me drag mode. I simply can’t find drag mode on it. I am only at 300 miles.

Sponsored

Injoemomma

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Yup - but you still have the 4" screen. My GT is my daily - the 8" screen with Carplay makes the car so much enjoyable for me driving it everyday. I likely won't tune this one - until my area starts getting more E85 pumps at least.
You upgraded to the bigger screen with Apple car play?!?! I love mine on my 2019 raptor. This lil 8 inch screen is a joke. I’m super not tech savvy. Can u please tell me exactly I can do this? Does it work like oem? And you have drag mode too right?

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
Can you please tell me exactly how to do that? What do I buy? I have a 2019 mustang gt 10 speed with performance package 1 and I thought that would give me drag mode. I simply can’t find drag mode on it. I am only at 300 miles.
In short, you have to convert from the 4 inch sync to the 8 inch sync 3 That comes with a new face plate called an FCIM, that includes the 4 toggle switches at the bottom. With the toggle switches, and reprogramming via Forscan, you can enable the drive modes.

Injoemomma

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
In short, you have to convert from the 4 inch sync to the 8 inch sync 3 That comes with a new face plate called an FCIM, that includes the 4 toggle switches at the bottom. With the toggle switches, and reprogramming via Forscan, you can enable the drive modes.
How do you do this? How much is this? Am I better off just getting an after market tune like Lund flex fuel e85? And I can get a drag mode tune with them?

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
How do you do this? How much is this?
There are several vendors who sell a complete kit. Plan on 1500 to 1800 for all new components. It depends if you want NAV, satellite radio, or other options. I understand that the face plates come off of used vehicles as they are not available directly from Ford.

Some of the common ones are hell horse performance, Hexall, and infotainment. If you Google them with 8 inch sink conversion you’ll see the options and pricing. Most of these kids come with all instructions, support, and new components.

You can also read up on how to build it yourself with the right components. Some people here have done it for less than 1000 with relatively new or mostly new components. That takes a little more knowledge and patience. You have to program the Vin From the donor car to your car.

The conversion itself is very easy. There are several videos on YouTube that detail it. And the forscan is easy.

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
How do you do this? How much is this? Am I better off just getting an after market tune like Lund flex fuel e85? And I can get a drag mode tune with them?
I had a 19 GT, a 10, active exhaust, 3.55 rear. Base model. I thought I could live with the four-inch Sync, but it sucked. And I missed CarPlay. So I added the 8 inch conversion just for that. To my surprise the instructions included how to activate the toggle, and the modes. It was awesome! I had no idea.

I drove in sport plus all the time and occasionally in track. It had drag, but I never really used it. It was nice having all five modes. It also changed the active exhaust if you have that option.

I now have a GT 350, and I ordered another 8 inch conversion for the same reason, the CarPlay and bigger screen. On the 350, the last toggle only changes the exhaust mode. In this case it’s no big deal, because you have steering wheel buttons to control the mode. But I do like and want the 8” screen.

Regardless of what kit or screen size you go with, you can still use a performance tune too.

Sponsored

Dans5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10, PP1, Steeda H Pipe, Whipple Stage2 Supercharger
I had a 19 GT, a 10, active exhaust, 3.55 rear. Base model. I thought I could live with the four-inch Sync, but it sucked. And I missed CarPlay. So I added the 8 inch conversion just for that. To my surprise the instructions included how to activate the toggle, and the modes. It was awesome! I had no idea.

I drove in sport plus all the time and occasionally in track. It had drag, but I never really used it. It was nice having all five modes. It also changed the active exhaust if you have that option.

I now have a GT 350, and I ordered another 8 inch conversion for the same reason, the CarPlay and bigger screen. On the 350, the last toggle only changes the exhaust mode. In this case it’s no big deal, because you have steering wheel buttons to control the mode. But I do like and want the 8” screen.

Regardless of what kit or screen size you go with, you can still use a performance tune too.
Hey Jim, whats up? I see you are still like a little kid in a candy store with your GT350 haha...I saw the video of it, badass...
I'm still trying to locate the 8" sync 3 conversion for my 2019 GT. The companies all seem to have everything on back order. I tell you im contemplating on stealing the one out of my wifes 2019 ecoboost, except she would kill me haha.....Again, thanks for all your help before.....
Danny

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Hey Jim, whats up? I see you are still like a little kid in a candy store with your GT350 haha...I saw the video of it, badass...
I'm still trying to locate the 8" sync 3 conversion for my 2019 GT. The companies all seem to have everything on back order. I tell you im contemplating on stealing the one out of my wifes 2019 ecoboost, except she would kill me haha.....Again, thanks for all your help before.....
Danny
Hey Danny!

When I did my conversion with hell horse, I had to wait seven weeks. I understand that it is not electronics, but finding a donor faceplate. The faceplates are taken out of salvaged mustangs as the part is not available from Ford.

Hell horse said they get them in batches, and they reject more than they accept, if they have scratches, marks, etc. The one I got was perfect, even though it was used. Everything else in the kit was brand new. The donor faceplate had a pre-19 start button, and I swapped that out with my 19’s. FYI, hell horse will give you a $75 credit if you send them back your old 4 inch faceplate, they even pay for postage.

I’m going to have to wait even longer for my GT 350, as the face plate is different than the GT

But hang in there. The sooner you get in line for a kit, the sooner you’ll get it. It’s worth the wait.

And yes, do not take the one out of your wife’s. That would be a big mistake!

Cheers

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Go to car-part.com. Search through 15-19 Mustangs. Check for "Ac control" or "Tv screen" - etc. Some listings have pictures / part numbers. Call to verify with the salvage yard to make sure you're getting the right part.
I just helped a person I know source their conversion for their Mustang and we found a Premium Sync 3 bezel with the Sync 3 screen and APIM attached for $400 shipped for everything. (non NAV). He's going to repin his stock harness instead of buying a conversion harness (which you don't need AT ALL for the '19 cars) and he ordered the Ford USB hub and cables. His conversion will end up costing him around $600.

Of course the only downside to using the Premium bezel is that it will have dual zone climate controls and heated / cooled seat controls - that simply don't do anything. My temp control works fine - it just controls all of it, since I've got a single zone climate car. It doesn't bother me - especially not enough to spend hundreds of dollars for another bezel.

Dans5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10, PP1, Steeda H Pipe, Whipple Stage2 Supercharger
Go to car-part.com. Search through 15-19 Mustangs. Check for "Ac control" or "Tv screen" - etc. Some listings have pictures / part numbers. Call to verify with the salvage yard to make sure you're getting the right part.
I just helped a person I know source their conversion for their Mustang and we found a Premium Sync 3 bezel with the Sync 3 screen and APIM attached for $400 shipped for everything. (non NAV). He's going to repin his stock harness instead of buying a conversion harness (which you don't need AT ALL for the '19 cars) and he ordered the Ford USB hub and cables. His conversion will end up costing him around $600.

Of course the only downside to using the Premium bezel is that it will have dual zone climate controls and heated / cooled seat controls - that simply don't do anything. My temp control works fine - it just controls all of it, since I've got a single zone climate car. It doesn't bother me - especially not enough to spend hundreds of dollars for another bezel.
I looked up that website and indeed I found many bezels and APIM's with 8" touch screens. They all say good condition, but don't really know unless looking at them. Even I have a 2019 im not too concerned about having the cd slot or heated/cooled seats emblems. If I purchase from a salvage yard im wondering how to insert my VIN into the APIM....I know to activate the drive mode toggles I will need to use FORSCAN.

Do you know of a place that you can help me with the same you helped that other guy?

Thanks for the information, it was very helpful.
Danny
Sponsored