Sponsored

Does a R feel much different from a 2019+ GT350?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
This response assumes the only path is to create an R replica. But it might make sense to consider another approach if a GT350 owner wants a similar feel and/or level of performance. Substantially similar handling can be achieved without stretching the imagination too far:
  • Forged wheels that are only a few lb heavier can be had for much less than $12k. Dunno, maybe $5K.
  • R-spec Cup2’s are not on back order. When it’s time for tires, the cost is a virtual wash. They’re grippier and lighter than FP-spec.
  • Rear seat delete to save a few more pounds. $350
  • Rear aero - add a Gurney flap to the factory swing -$150
  • Front aero - lots of choices that don’t break the bank. $700
  • Suspension - tons of choices here that will approximate the R suspension for $1000-1500 or do custom MR tuning with DSC Sport for maybe $1700
  • Resonator delete - $100-700 depending on your preference.
When all that’s done (and don’t beat me up on exact details) we might have spent $8000 to move a GT350 from 99% of a GT350R to 99.9%. Will it feel exactly like an R? Nope. Will it feel amazing? Oh yeah.

Then if we want to, there’s another $8000-$12000 for driver coaching and seat time. And the driver will have the pleasure of knowing they’re faster in any car they drive from that point forward.

Maybe it’s just a matter of perspective. The approach outlined here is more about attaining ridiculous levels of performance and enjoying the driving experience than brand, status and value retention. A different kind of bragging rights I guess.

Whatever the case, we’re all blessed to be in a position to seriously consider any of this. Let’s all go for a drive! My plan is to take the Shelby out to VIR in 2 weeks. Hope the weather cooperates. And I hope to see some of you there.
Lots of maybes there. You cant really replicate the R suspe4nsion exactly without spending a lot of money...more than your estimate.
Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Lots of maybes there. You cant really replicate the R suspe4nsion exactly without spending a lot of money...more than your estimate.
You are correct, sir! I’m being careful to avoid the whole replica/replicate approach. The verb I chose was: approximate. Specifically, I know that the MR shocks are different on the R. If one wanted to replicate the R the shocks would need to be replaced.

My assertion is that the once-wide gap has been closing and can be closed further without spending a ton.

And that (in my case) the difference in cost can be converted into seat time.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's all not the same. Its a "chase your tail" approach to replicate something that many engineers and man hours have been put forth to produce an engineered solution. Many hours of development driving and testing have been performed by the best in the business to produce what the R is. Im sorry, but penny pinching cost cutting people who do other things in life do not qualify to think they can produce a better product after the fact.

This thread is starting to sound a lot like the "bolt a Whipple onto a GT" crowd so that they can hang with the 500.

Buy the R or chase your tail in an endless pursuit to have an R and never have the VIN.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Last edited:

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's all not the same. Its a "chase your tail" approach to replicate something that many engineers and man hours have been put forth to produce an engineered solution. Many hours of development driving and testing have been performed by the best in the business to produce what the R is. Im sorry, but penny pinching cost cutting people who do other things in life do not qualify to think they can produce a better product after the fact.

This thread is starting to sound a lot like the "bolt a Whipple onto a GT" crowd so that they can hang with the 500.

Buy the R or chase your tail in an endless pursuit to have an R and never have the VIN.
Again, not seeking to replicate. Why stop there?

In the spirit of science, we could see where our schedules overlap and do some comparisons. Think about it. It could be fun.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
For many, an R isn't enough. In that case, some buy a 6 cyl and take it from there - case in point, Pauls Automotive and the Faessler family.

http://blog.wiseco.com/the-pauls-engineering-gt-350-is-an-850hp-record-breaking-time-attack-monster

For me, I'll take my chances with a wrung out ex-schoolhouse car that will be seasoned to taste.

Been there and done that with an R - now I want to go fast.
Yes, I agree that there is always more performance if you are willing to abandon the whole platform and completely start over.

Nick Smithers started with an R. As it stands right now.... you wouldn't recognize it. Honestly it more resembles a GT4. So with that comes the commensurate performance.

Is the R the end all? No. But the folks who chase their tail in pursuit of an R clone might be better suited in starting with an R like Nick did.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Again, not seeking to replicate. Why stop there?

In the spirit of science, we could see where our schedules overlap and do some comparisons. Think about it. It could be fun.
See my last post

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the R the end all? No. But the folks who chase their tail in pursuit of an R clone might be better suited in starting with an R like Nick did.
Yep - agreed. See my post #19.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yep - agreed. See my post #19.
Eh, you are royalty here. I never questioned you. The reply button just keeps the thread going. Its funny, but you are a purist. You were the guy who way back when pioneered the differences and refused to put R badges on your car even though it would pass muster.

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Tomster - Thanks, man, you made it possible for me to wade into the R pool.... props for that, as you and a few others here truly will ensure that future generations get to enjoy super-nice examples of these cars.

An R - especially a base version - is a sublime car that transcends its basic underpinnings.

To the original question: yes, it does feel different. How much? Well, that depends on the driver.

But, you know how sometimes when you make a copy it doesn't quite come out clear - that's the unfortunate nature of trying to clone an R. There's so much secret sauce buried in the car that you'll never get it just right. Sure, it'll look the part, but it won't flash that Mona Lisa smile at 8/10ths and above like the real deal will.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
@Tomster - Thanks, man, you made it possible for me to wade into the R pool.... props for that, as you and a few others here truly will ensure that future generations get to enjoy super-nice examples of these cars.

An R - especially a base version - is a sublime car that transcends its basic underpinnings.

To the original question: yes, it does feel different. How much? Well, that depends on the driver.

But, you know how sometimes when you make a copy it doesn't quite come out clear - that's the unfortunate nature of trying to clone an R. There's so much secret sauce buried in the car that you'll never get it just right. Sure, it'll look the part, but it won't flash that Mona Lisa smile at 8/10ths and above like the real deal will.
A nice end to a good topic. In a perfect world, the thread would now be over, but.....

There aren't enough people in the world like you chris. I'm glad you are back on the forum and wish you the best in your FPRS car endeavor. I sincerely look forward to your result.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The End.
Sponsored