Dodge is killing it for 2021 Redeye vs GT500

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
I know, it's JDP, bad source, doesn't match the narrative, etc., hahahaha, but regardless ...

2020070a.jpg

... and of course someone will jump in and say, "well it should be, it's an N years old platform on their cars", but that doesn't change the result. Yes, it's a first 90 day ownership, so it's mostly QA/delivery, again, one reference, but Dodge has been doing pretty well in this department (anecdotally, our DD/RT has been flawless).
Yeah... that doesn't seem to align with reality except for Tesla, Land Rover, and Jaguar.

And honestly, the whole "it can't turn" is largely irrelevant to the 95% of the owners of these types of cars. I imagine there's plenty of GT500s (including a few CFTPs) that will never see a track, or even moderately spirited driving outside of the new straightline runs on the way to Coffee and Cars :crackup:
You should see all the twisty back roads around my house... my own tiny personal track, just don't tell anyone...

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
Let's just say no one will look back in 20 years and say wow Dodge's hellcats were great because JD power said so. Let's remember that the challenger and charger have been more or less the same basic build for the last 12 or so years. That's why Dodge has a good score because most of the problems are just fixed over a long production run like that.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah... that doesn't seem to align with reality except for Tesla, Land Rover, and Jaguar.

You should see all the twisty back roads around my house... my own tiny personal track, just don't tell anyone...
Dodge has apparently been pretty solid, again, it may be because they found a formula that works, do the same thing over and over and you get pretty good. That was one reference, I even - up front- qualified, people will poo-poo JDP, I sort do as well, but it's apparently reported as such from other sources. There are people who will say X is shit, because X != FORD. :facepalm:

Yeah man, I've got a decent number of events under my belt (even though I haven't done anything for years), __and__ I get the desire for the running some twisties, but I think there's a sort of knee jerk anti-Challenger/Charger perspective that's more just bragging rights / on-paper-argument than an actual real deficit to the ownership experience.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge has apparently been pretty solid, again, it may be because they found a formula that works, do the same thing over and over and you get pretty good. That was one reference, I even - up front- qualified, people will poo-poo JDP, I sort do as well, but it's apparently reported as such from other sources. There are people who will say X is shit, because X != FORD. :facepalm:

Yeah man, I've got a decent number of events under my belt (even though I haven't done anything for years), __and__ I get the desire for the running some twisties, but I think there's a sort of knee jerk anti-Challenger/Charger perspective that's more just bragging rights / on-paper-argument than an actual real deficit to the ownership experience.
I can definitely see your points, my only question is have you driven the challenger/charger? (Just curious, no offense intended) The dash is like it's made of styrofoam and they do turn like boats. But to be fair, I had more technical/electrical problems in my Camaro than Challenger, just enjoyed it far far less. GM's paint is rather thin too, but the car's build always felt super solid to me, inside and out, unlike the Dodge.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I can definitely see your points, my only question is have you driven the challenger/charger? (Just curious, no offense intended) The dash is like it's made of styrofoam and they do turn like boats. But to be fair, I had more technical/electrical problems in my Camaro than Challenger, just enjoyed it far far less. GM's paint is rather thin too, but the car's build always felt super solid to me, inside and out, unlike the Dodge.
I have, SRT and Hellcat flavors. We have a DD/RT, and the interior/dash/etc., is as good if not better than my '19 GT Premium/401a convertible. Good materials, UConnect is fast and has a better UI (retains the car controls with CarPlay running), solid switch gear, pretty decent choices in terms of control placement ... the cooled seats actually work :D. Like many domestics, the low end is pretty craptacular, you really have to get into the special model variants to get the improved goodies.

I'm completely brand agnostic, I owned 4 Vettes, multiple BMWs, Toyotas (including an ~800HP Supra that I also tracked), Honda, etc. I __love__ my current GT (it's notable better vs. my '16), but I make each purchase based on my needs and desires at the time, and if I were in the market for a simply badass 4-door street cruiser sedan, I'd definitely take a Charger, and I'd have zero concerns over the quality.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have, SRT and Hellcat flavors. We have a DD/RT, and the interior/dash/etc., is as good if not better than my '19 GT Premium/401a convertible. Good materials, UConnect is fast and has a better UI (retains the car controls with CarPlay running), solid switch gear, pretty decent choices in terms of control placement ... the cooled seats actually work :D. Like many domestics, the low end is pretty craptacular, you really have to get into the special model variants to get the improved goodies.

I'm completely brand agnostic, I owned 4 Vettes, multiple BMWs, Toyotas (including an ~800HP Supra that I also tracked), Honda, etc. I __love__ my current GT (it's notable better vs. my '16), but I make each purchase based on my needs and desires at the time, and if I were in the market for a simply badass 4-door street cruiser sedan, I'd definitely take a Charger, and I'd have zero concerns over the quality.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah mine was a regular RT as well. The Mustang's refresh for 18 was such a step up from the 15s with the power boost and trans upgrades, but was kinda necessary to compete with the equivalent Camaros.

I'm not brand loyal either obviously, but the Shelbys always felt more special to me than the competition's top trim levels. The 1LE SS for me beats out a PP2 GT, and probably even a GT350 with no track pack (although that Voodoo motor is heaven on earth), but not an R. The Rs are in a world of their own. I'd say the same about a turbo 1LE like Randy Pobst's vs. that new EcoBoost performance pack. I guess I cooked my own goose with dodge in this post completely leaving them out of my comparisons, but they're in a totally different car segment/type for a different use.

I grew up totally European car wise, my stepfather's (who drove a 2000 7 series while I was growing up) brother owned a euro mechanic shop and we always had customer cars. First car I ever "drove" was a 360 modena spider when I was like 5 lol but something changed in me when I hit 18 and started spending my own money, then it was all American after that. We do have a Macan in the household, and have owned a couple nice Audis, as well as some VWs.

Would you really take a Hellcat Charger over say... a C63s AMG? Same price roughly.

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
Back in 2008/09 I was jazzed about the pending return of my dream cars. But since it seem FCA fired all their stylists, Chevy let their guys smoke dope at work and Ford stayed the course with subtle upgrades when needed.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Chevy let their guys smoke dope at work [...]
JFC, hahahaha ...

That definitely explains quite a bit about the Camaro interior.

"Dude, dude, some curves, they like don't have to match anything else, and like AC vents down low, hahahaha, oh man, can we put some killer strobe lights?"

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
And ohhh duuuude, what if we made it look like its squinting. Soo gnar-jar and and and a screen only good for the back seat and wait...shift paddles that wont work in turns. Pass me the Doritos.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
Carful guys, some Chevy guy might bring up the Mach E!

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JFC, hahahaha ...

That definitely explains quite a bit about the Camaro interior.

"Dude, dude, some curves, they like don't have to match anything else, and like AC vents down low, hahahaha, oh man, can we put some killer strobe lights?"
I actually kinda liked the ergonomics of the 6th Camaro interior except for those bunny ears that are above the gauges hahaha but I'm biased. The ac vents were really easy to position on yourself as opposed to the classic slat vents like in the Macans for example, find myself messing with them forever to accurately blow air on my face. And a HUD is always nice for constant rev/speedo info, although I know Mustangs have one for shift lights.

The ambient lighting strips in the Camaro were cool imo, and you couldn't run them in "show mode" where the color cycles unless you're in park. I'm interested in seeing the ambient lighting in the new Mustangs to compare, where instead of light strips you have lights hidden in footwells/door handles combined with the center gauges and full digital gauge cluster.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
And ohhh duuuude, what if we made it look like its squinting. Soo gnar-jar and and and a screen only good for the back seat and wait...shift paddles that wont work in turns. Pass me the Doritos.
Hahahaha ...

"Oh man, we totally cannot see out of this!"

"No sweat dude, like you have to see with your mind, not with your face ..."

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hahahaha ...

"Oh man, we totally cannot see out of this!"

"No sweat dude, like you have to see with your mind, not with your face ..."
No need to see the sky, only the road, and keeps the sun out of your face more. Although, kiiiinda awkward when you're right under a stop light lmao

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
I had a 2010 (Gen 5) so I can judge. Lucky we had the sun roof so we could check the blind spots before lane changes. :shock: BTW, Chebby had to buy it back as it was Lemon-ed!

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red