Dodge is killing it for 2021 Redeye vs GT500

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
Just so you know challengers do have steering wheels. the 2019 widebody scat pack pulls, 0.97 g on a skid pad, that's the same as a 2019 gt pp1. Challengers handle very well for a big muscle coupe.
Haha I guess you got me there. I test drove a regular scat pack before my SS and it didn't even compare, obviously since one is a muscle car and one is a sports car. Comes down to preference like you said, and mine is sports car.

But there was no widebody back then, I bet the scat widebody is the challenger sweet spot, just missing that supercharger whine.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I agree, just to be clear though there is no direct competition for either the charger hellcat or durango hellcat. By the end of this year FCA will have made eight out of the ten 700+ hp vehicles america has made. they also hold the only two over 800 hp. Dodge makes it clear if you want hp they have more than anyone else. Just FYI i'm not a fan of the widebody challengers either. narrow body looks better IMO. I think we should remember Dodge is king of the 1/4 mile and they design cars for that purpose, Chevy and Ford are building world class handing cars with DCTs. It's two different sandboxes, play in the one that you like, don't walk into the other guys side and hate on what he does.

Happy 4th everyone.
They make the most horsepower, but are also the heaviest by far. Challenger is what, 4300lbs in Hellcat trim? I still really like them anyway, but this brings me to my next point.

Just so you know challengers do have steering wheels. the 2019 widebody scat pack pulls, 0.97 g on a skid pad, that's the same as a 2019 gt pp1. Challengers handle very well for a big muscle coupe.
Skidpad figures can be misleading. The Challenger chassis is very heavy and WILL roll the hell out of the tire sidewall under heavy cornering. So yeah, it can pull a really hard corner once, but transitioning the other way is a nightmare. I've seen some dudes bring their Hellcats to Autocross and it's always a disaster for them. Slow times and you can see them struggling to point the car where it needs to go. The Mustang in comparison (while not as good as the Camaro) is much lighter and transitions much better. You also don't delete your tires after one run.

They do handle better than they have in the past, but it's still not where it needs to be. A lot of the lateral grip just comes from the huge tire width they have to put on them now.

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Yeah it's part of the aftermarket crate parts, the steering wheel comes with the crate i believe.
Yep. Steering isn’t part of the driving experience anyway haha

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
They make the most horsepower, but are also the heaviest by far. Challenger is what, 4300lbs in Hellcat trim? I still really like them anyway, but this brings me to my next point.

Skidpad figures can be misleading. The Challenger chassis is very heavy and WILL roll the hell out of the tire sidewall under heavy cornering. So yeah, it can pull a really hard corner once, but transitioning the other way is a nightmare. I've seen some dudes bring their Hellcats to Autocross and it's always a disaster for them. Slow times and you can see them struggling to point the car where it needs to go. The Mustang in comparison (while not as good as the Camaro) is much lighter and transitions much better. You also don't delete your tires after one run.

They do handle better than they have in the past, but it's still not where it needs to be. A lot of the lateral grip just comes from the huge tire width they have to put on them now.
Hey I know, I wasn't saying the challenger is as good as the mustang or camaro at all. Just that people love to through that line out and really they don't handle that bad. Remember it's a muscle car not a sports car. Also challenger hellcat is 4500 lbs. Sadly many Americans no longer love big cars, the challenger is a mid size car but it seems huge to many people. they should ride in a 60s Cadillac.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I agree with everything you said 110%, and in a few days I'll have owned and driven them all at one point in various trims. The Alpha chassis is so good, but the special sauce poured all over the GT500's powertrain (and styling imo) with the Predator motor and DCT took the ZL1/ZLE out of my equation quick, plus those spool-valve dampers are a bit overkill for the street. While I loved that car when it came out, as soon as I heard the GT500 rumors before the car was announced I was hooked.

Can't argue against a Charger Hellcat for a comfy, highway roadtrip with fun and room for the whole family... until you try to have fun while turning.

Twisted O CFTP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
Yep. Steering isn’t part of the driving experience anyway haha
Dodge is a crap box lets talk about the red eye it takes over an hour to even prep it for track use changing the front tires unlocking the ecu ect it can only go straight to top heavy to turn and suspension sucks the brakes are small and stopping power sucks its a big box with wheels
No lets talk about power i have 830 rear wheel hp on palm beach dyno on a hot day i only have two small bolt ons one size down pulley upgrade tune and race pipes the 500 stops on a dime handles at high speeds on turns So the crank hp is around 940 more then the red eye

dodge nailed it when they called it a dodge dodge far away from it there unreliable no aero no resale value

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
Dodge is a crap box lets talk about the red eye it takes over an hour to even prep it for track use changing the front tires unlocking the ecu ect it can only go straight to top heavy to turn and suspension sucks the brakes are small and stopping power sucks its a big box with wheels
No lets talk about power i have 830 rear wheel hp on palm beach dyno on a hot day i only have two small bolt ons one size down pulley upgrade tune and race pipes the 500 stops on a dime handles at high speeds on turns So the crank hp is around 940 more then the red eye

dodge nailed it when they called it a dodge dodge far away from it there unreliable no aero no resale value
You have the Redeye and Demon confused.
Dodge cars are less reliable, you are right about that.
Resale value on a Demon is better then a GT500.
GT500 is by far a better rounded car.
Fact.
Fact.
Fact.
Fact.

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would beat the Redeye and the GT500
I think so, at least in non-subjective departments. But the high revving Ford motors just feel more special. I don't know what a car like that would look like though, I don't trust GM in the styling department after the '19 SS front end "update" and the C8's rear end.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Dodge cars are less reliable, you are right about that.
I know, it's JDP, bad source, doesn't match the narrative, etc., hahahaha, but regardless ...

2020070a.jpg

... and of course someone will jump in and say, "well it should be, it's an N years old platform on their cars", but that doesn't change the result. Yes, it's a first 90 day ownership, so it's mostly QA/delivery, again, one reference, but Dodge has been doing pretty well in this department (anecdotally, our DD/RT has been flawless).

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
And honestly, the whole "it can't turn" is largely irrelevant to the 95% of the owners of these types of cars. I imagine there's plenty of GT500s (including a few CFTPs) that will never see a track, or even moderately spirited driving outside of the new straightline runs on the way to Coffee and Cars :crackup:

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
I know, it's JDP, bad source, doesn't match the narrative, etc., hahahaha, but regardless ...

2020070a.jpg

... and of course someone will jump in and say, "well it should be, it's an N years old platform on their cars", but that doesn't change the result. Yes, it's a first 90 day ownership, so it's mostly QA/delivery, again, one reference, but Dodge has been doing pretty well in this department (anecdotally, our DD/RT has been flawless).
Their reliability has certainly improved that’s for sure.
However I don’t care what JD Power says. JD Power is just a trash company.
All their awards they give out mean absolutely nothing in my book.