Do you regret not replacing the CUP 2s

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
@22GBMach1 this from @dbtgt is pretty much spot on.

As for the issue with the $67k + another $2k.... Welcome to the jungle. SC2s are track tires. They were never intended to be driven on the street or daily. When we buy these cars from the dealership with SC2s from the factory, it should be a known factor.... track use, or buy another set. Ford definitely doesn't educate buyers about the SC2s enough in my opinion.

Having a spare set is a good thing. Sunny warm days and a track event, slap on your SC2s.

I tried doing the daily drives with SC2s on 2 different cars (PP2&GT350), and it was problematic.
Yes it makes sense to change your tires like that but isn’t it a real pain in the ass changing your tires every time it rains or snows? I just drive on mine everywhere and I live in KS and the weather here stinks.
Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Yes it makes sense to change your tires like that but isn’t it a real pain in the ass changing your tires every time it rains or snows? I just drive on mine everywhere and I live in KS and the weather here stinks.
No. I'd think if it's "snow season", the SC2s would be off and in the garage for a while. I'm talking a few wheel swaps a year for track and special events/days. SC2s just aren't designed for daily street use. Yea, it's some extra work...but that's the price to pay for having the appropriate tire/wheel for the occasion. SC2s throw rocks, and they slide in water. Sucks, but it's the way it is.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
@22GBMach1 this from @dbtgt is pretty much spot on.

As for the issue with the $67k + another $2k.... Welcome to the jungle. SC2s are track tires. They were never intended to be driven on the street or daily. When we buy these cars from the dealership with SC2s from the factory, it should be a known factor.... track use, or buy another set. Ford definitely doesn't educate buyers about the SC2s enough in my opinion.

Having a spare set is a good thing. Sunny warm days and a track event, slap on your SC2s.

I tried doing the daily drives with SC2s on 2 different cars (PP2&GT350), and it was problematic.
You know, one thing that we must take into consideration is the fact that there are buyers who want a specific performance vehicle when they step on the lot, and many buyers have to be sold on a particular vehicle. I have always known what I wanted in this regard, it has always been a matter of matching me with a vehicle that suited my specific needs. So when I am making a purchase, I tend to just sign the paperwork and I am ready to go. Once you look and the vehicle's option(s) and pricing, you pretty much know what you are going to get. And when it comes to the tires, those tend to be the first to go for me, wheels too. I can't say that I have ever bought a car for the tires it came with. But with the SC2's, it was an added bonus for me. I thoroughly enjoyed them. Everyone will say what they will, but as you said "Ford could do better in the education of its consumers", whether it be from the top or all the way down at the bottom with the sales department. At that point, it becomes a "Buyer Beware" situation, and you really have to do your own homework then. But overall, these discussions really shed light on the experiences that we all had, the good, the bad, the lessons learned, and the ones that are taught. Keep sharing and offering up solutions for one another. We all could use the help, whether it be in the form of "Insight, Hindsight, or Foresight", it is definitely appreciated.

Have A Great Day and Be Safe.

Happy Driving.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
Man, I love that color. All they had available when I bought mine was shadow black and a red one. I went with the black , I like it as it goes well with the racing stripes I got.
Thank You. That is the sole reason that I got it, it was just a color switch at this point. I had a 2019 Pp2(Shadow Black but I wrapped it Satin Grey), and a group of us were heading out to do a canyon run. Check engine light came on. I pulled over and plugged into the CPU. The car threw a code and misfired on cylinder 6. I drove straight to the dealership. And as I was waiting to see if they could get the car in to give it a checkup, I walked the showroom floor and saw this one sitting there. I snapped some pics of it, then returned home shortly after that. I showed the pics to my family, and 7 days later, the Grabber Lime Pp2 was in the garage. And it's been nothing but fun and I immediately started modding it. I wrapped the whole car in Satin Paint Protection Film and it just changed the look. Supercharged it at 4k miles, full cat-back active exhaust courtesy of Roush Performance. Swapped the radio out and installed a Linkswell T-style screen in it, added a bunch of carbon fiber goodies(steering wheel, Adro Inc. carbon fiber front splitter and side skirts, carbon fiber rear diffuser, carbon fiber rear spoiler), Braum Racing harnesses and harness bar. And it's a total hot rod. A lot of fun to drive.

Take Care and Be Safe.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Its sad Ford doesn’t allow u downgrade to a more street friendly option with better tread life

Sponsored

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
I loved them, not for every one though. They require you to Drive as they will pull and tramline but they are direct and make the PS4S feel lazy.
They did ok in the rain, not nearly the deathtrap everyone calls them out to be but do require care when alot of rain hits at once (Florida).
That said, They will destroy your paint and PPF, they will throw rocks in every crevice and fill up your rear defuser with a pound of gravel. You will see the pebbles rooster tailing off your front tires in the mirrors and find chunks of asphalt on top of your car.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
I loved them, not for every one though. They require you to Drive as they will pull and tramline but they are direct and make the PS4S feel lazy.
They did ok in the rain, not nearly the deathtrap everyone calls them out to be but do require care when alot of rain hits at once (Florida).
That said, They will destroy your paint and PPF, they will throw rocks in every crevice and fill up your rear defuser with a pound of gravel. You will see the pebbles rooster tailing off your front tires in the mirrors and find chunks of asphalt on top of your car.
That's a pretty accurate description of the SC2's. It sure takes some getting used to. And in the rain, they are not for the "Faint at Heart". It's a "Driver's Tire" for sure. That tramline keeps you on the edge of your Recaros. I have also learned to read the road as I am driving, in search of any grooves or uneven patches of road.

Take Care and Happy Driving.

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
Thank You. That is the sole reason that I got it, it was just a color switch at this point. I had a 2019 Pp2(Shadow Black but I wrapped it Satin Grey), and a group of us were heading out to do a canyon run. Check engine light came on. I pulled over and plugged into the CPU. The car threw a code and misfired on cylinder 6. I drove straight to the dealership. And as I was waiting to see if they could get the car in to give it a checkup, I walked the showroom floor and saw this one sitting there. I snapped some pics of it, then returned home shortly after that. I showed the pics to my family, and 7 days later, the Grabber Lime Pp2 was in the garage. And it's been nothing but fun and I immediately started modding it. I wrapped the whole car in Satin Paint Protection Film and it just changed the look. Supercharged it at 4k miles, full cat-back active exhaust courtesy of Roush Performance. Swapped the radio out and installed a Linkswell T-style screen in it, added a bunch of carbon fiber goodies(steering wheel, Adro Inc. carbon fiber front splitter and side skirts, carbon fiber rear diffuser, carbon fiber rear spoiler), Braum Racing harnesses and harness bar. And it's a total hot rod. A lot of fun to drive.

Take Care and Be Safe.
What kind of s/c did you get? And what kind of hp did you get from it? I like to see other guys with a 19gt. There’s so much that can be done to it. I’m also thinking about maybe getting a dark horse when it comes out. The main thing stopping me is I put a lot of work into my current mustang. I would love to be able to remove my vortech and put it in the new one. But I don’t think it’ll fit into a gen 4 coyote. I don’t want to have to buy a totally new s/c for it as I used a lot of $$ to get it. 12k is a lot to drop on a mod that I can’t use in a new one.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
What kind of s/c did you get? And what kind of hp did you get from it? I like to see other guys with a 19gt. There’s so much that can be done to it. I’m also thinking about maybe getting a dark horse when it comes out. The main thing stopping me is I put a lot of work into my current mustang. I would love to be able to remove my vortech and put it in the new one. But I don’t think it’ll fit into a gen 4 coyote. I don’t want to have to buy a totally new s/c for it as I used a lot of $$ to get it. 12k is a lot to drop on a mod that I can’t use in a new one.
Hello There My Friend. I hope all is well with you.

I ended up going with the 750HP Roush Phase II Super Charger($10K), and it was worth every penny and totally transformed the car and the torque is wicked crazy. I have not had it on the dyno, just track it and use it frequently in the canyons here in SoCal. I hear you on the Dark Horse, I thought about getting one myself, and I share the same thoughts, I have put a lot of work into my car. But, that's the name of the game, take something, make it better, and either hold onto it or let it go. I have been contemplating getting a GT500, then I look at my Pp2 and see all of the value I created in it by customizing it and really transforming it. There's the money for the S/C, full exhaust($4K), Carbon fiber steering wheel($1,700), satin ppf-ceramic coating($7K), and all of the other carbon fiber goodies($3K). It has been pricey. But I wouldn't change a thing. So I get exactly where you are coming from. The way I see it is this, the cards will fall where they will and we all get what we want, and if it's meant for us to get that "Dark Horse" and that "GT500", then it will be. All we can do is plan properly and make the right moves when the time is right.

Take Care.

Sains5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach1, FJ Grey, Handling Package, Manual, RSD
Had the dealer change out the SC2s before I picked up the car in July 2022, if anyone in the Toronto area is interested, they are up for sale, basically 0 miles.

Sponsored

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Had the dealer change out the SC2s before I picked up the car in July 2022, if anyone in the Toronto area is interested, they are up for sale, basically 0 miles.
If we’re selling I picked my car up this past Saturday and the stock wheels and tires are at the dealership waiting for me to pick up and put up for sale.
I’d rather daily on Nitto DRs as I have in the past.
-J

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
I regret getting rid of the Cup 2's on my PP2. I got a second set around 9-10k miles when the factory ones wore out. I switched to Conti Extreme Contacts. The car is much more friendly in the rain and tramlining is non existent, but during spirited driving with the Cup 2's, the car just bit into every corner and inspired confidence.

Last edited:

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
If we’re selling I picked my car up this past Saturday and the stock wheels and tires are at the dealership waiting for me to pick up and put up for sale.
I’d rather daily on Nitto DRs as I have in the past.
-J
I know many drivers that elect to go that route. And the Nitto NT555 G2 is a good option for "Daily Driving", we tend to outfit many of our customer's Mustangs with this tire. Overall it does very well in many categories. The straight-line tracking at higher speeds still offers very good stability. And when you pair those pros with excellent cornering grip in hot and dry conditions, you get one heck of a tire with power-to-pavement potential.

Take Care And Have A Great Weekend!

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
I regret getting rid of the Cup 2's on my PP2. I got a second set around 9-10k miles when the factory ones wore out. I switched to Conti Extreme Contacts. The car is much more friendly in the rain and tramlining is no existent, but during spirited driving with the Cup 2's, the car just bit into every corer and inspired confidence.
That's some very good feedback. I like that we all have had many experiences with the "Cup 2's", some good and some bad. But they all amount to something for someone. Like with everything, there are "Pros and Cons". I try to work through the "Cons". And for many, "Cons" has a negative connotation or implication. For me, I view it as a disadvantage, nothing negative though. We all can agree that there is evidence that the "Cup 2"s" fall short in two major areas, the life of the tire and wet traction/braking. And as it clearly states, it's a "Track Day" tire, and by understanding what it actually is, this centers the focus to what we will intend to use it for. By doing this, I believe we can move to the "Cons" and share how we enjoy them because I have a great time with mine, testing their limits and really getting to know them from my own personal experiences.

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
That's some very good feedback. I like that we all have had many experiences with the "Cup 2's", some good and some bad. But they all amount to something for someone. Like with everything, there are "Pros and Cons". I try to work through the "Cons". And for many, "Cons" has a negative connotation or implication. For me, I view it as a disadvantage, nothing negative though. We all can agree that there is evidence that the "Cup 2"s" fall short in two major areas, the life of the tire and wet traction/braking. And as it clearly states, it's a "Track Day" tire, and by understanding what it actually is, this centers the focus to what we will intend to use it for. By doing this, I believe we can move to the "Cons" and share how we enjoy them because I have a great time with mine, testing their limits and really getting to know them from my own personal experiences.
Exactly.
Choose the right tool for the task.
You get it and I’m sure I’d like a wheel/tire combo you’d select.
Have a great weekend.
-J
Sponsored