Do you have audio questions?

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
OK, so I'm gearing up for my build and install. So if I remove the processing from the factory 9 speaker ACM am I going to need to buy a separate DSP or is it going to sound good as is? I'm still kind of leaning towards replacing the headunit though I don't really want to buy the metra kit. I don't like their hvac control replacement.
You don't have to have a DSP unit, but depending on the unit and how much you value listening to music, they can definitely make up for some of the shortcomings of being in a car.

You will need to have some way of separating the frequencies to you speakers, whether its using a crossover module or a crossover built in to your amp or DSP. Let us know what equipment you are considering and we'll try to steer you in the right direction.
Sponsored

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
You don't have to have a DSP unit, but depending on the unit and how much you value listening to music, they can definitely make up for some of the shortcomings of being in a car.

You will need to have some way of separating the frequencies to you speakers, whether its using a crossover module or a crossover built in to your amp or DSP. Let us know what equipment you are considering and we'll try to steer you in the right direction.
Right now I'm leaning towards something like this. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want. I'm not trying to bring the house down or blast everyone with my music. You miss a lot of the details in the music with the current system and I'd like to correct that.

JL Audio C2650 Evolution™ C2 Series 6-3/4" component speaker system
Kenwood Excelon X801-5 5-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

No idea what I'm doing in the rear yet. Might try to fit small subs in the rear deck. I'm not a bass head and I listen to a lot of rock and I like my bass tight and not boomy. (The Virginmarys, Dead Sara, The Dead weather etc) I'm open to suggestions, I'm not shooting for competition quality sound, but I want a hell of lot better than what I'm currently hearing.

Last edited:

climbiterp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Maybe this is a good place for me to start as I don't know a hell of a lot about audio (I've replaced speakers in previous cars of mine myself, just my 2000 Toyota Celica) but haven't kept up with what's out there for my base spec S550.

What I'm looking for: a substantial audio quality upgrade that does NOT compromise my ability to put my seats down/haul stuff. I'm open to putting an amp in the spare tire well but not trying to take up major trunk space with a big sub nor trying to spend the money on the JL stealth setup. Relatively economical as well - I love a good bang for buck challenge. Can I replace the backseat speakers with small subs? What are my options? I'm fine with keeping the stock head unit but if a different one would make that much of a difference I'll consider it.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Goal is upgrading speakers (Focal 6PS-2 + Focal K2 Power 100KRS?) without having to tear the car apart or add additional components (DSP/Amp/Crossovers) while still keeping stereo separation and imaging.
Thanks!
Not going to happen. The factory stuff was tuned to the factory Pioneer drivers, not to mention the impedance difference that theoretically cuts your power in half.

Save your money until you can do it right. In the long run you'll be happier.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe this is a good place for me to start as I don't know a hell of a lot about audio (I've replaced speakers in previous cars of mine myself, just my 2000 Toyota Celica) but haven't kept up with what's out there for my base spec S550.

What I'm looking for: a substantial audio quality upgrade that does NOT compromise my ability to put my seats down/haul stuff. I'm open to putting an amp in the spare tire well but not trying to take up major trunk space with a big sub nor trying to spend the money on the JL stealth setup. Relatively economical as well - I love a good bang for buck challenge. Can I replace the backseat speakers with small subs? What are my options? I'm fine with keeping the stock head unit but if a different one would make that much of a difference I'll consider it.
what system do you have now? 6, 9, or,shaker pro?

I did an easy upgrade, replaced tweeters and center, replaced speaker in stock sub housing and added an amp. 500% improvement in sound for about $400.

Sponsored

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
I've chosen these components and ordered the odb for Forscan. I'll pick out a sub later if I feel like I need one. I'm doing the install next Saturday.

Kenwood Excelon X801-5 Amp
Alpine R-S65 - in the rear
Alpine R-S65C components in the front

Are these the only two things I need to change for the 9 speaker system? Or am I missing something?

727-01-01 xx5x xxxx xxxx
727-01-02 x0xx

Last edited:

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I've chosen these components and ordered the odb for Forscan. I'll pick out a sub later if I feel like I need one. I'm doing the install next Saturday.

Kenwood Excelon X801-5 Amp
Alpine R-S65 - in the rear
Alpine R-S65C components in the front

Are these the only two things I need to change for the 9 speaker system? Or am I missing something?

727-01-01 xx5x xxxx xxxx
727-01-02 x0xx
Just to be sure, you have the 9 speaker system, but you don't want to replace the 3.5" mids, correct?
Also, how did you come to that choice in speakers? Have you heard them?

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Just to be sure, you have the 9 speaker system, but you don't want to replace the 3.5" mids, correct?
Also, how did you come to that choice in speakers? Have you heard them?
Yep 9 speaker. The 3.5's and center channel will be disconnected, just don't see a good reason to keep them. I'll be rewiring everything and use the crossovers that come with the Alpine speakers.

I wondered over to the place I used to buy all my stereo stuff from and they had them setup as a demo and they sounded good. I've had good luck with them in the past as well. (of course that was 10 years ago)

The Kicker's and Clarion's tweeters were just too bright (not that they made my list, but they were there). I didn't get a chance to hear the JL's unfortunately. Why is there something I should know about the Alpine's :ninja:

JayTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have the shaker 9 speaker system and have replaced the front components with the Precision Power PPI 3 way component speakers and a rocksford fosgate punch P600x4. Can I do a IB sub replacing the rear speakers and run the subs off the same amp? Or would I need to add another amp.

What else would I need to add / any recommendations on subs?

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Yep 9 speaker. The 3.5's and center channel will be disconnected, just don't see a good reason to keep them. I'll be rewiring everything and use the crossovers that come with the Alpine speakers.

I wondered over to the place I used to buy all my stereo stuff from and they had them setup as a demo and they sounded good. I've had good luck with them in the past as well. (of course that was 10 years ago)

The Kicker's and Clarion's tweeters were just too bright (not that they made my list, but they were there). I didn't get a chance to hear the JL's unfortunately. Why is there something I should know about the Alpine's :ninja:
No, I was just curious...

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I have the shaker 9 speaker system and have replaced the front components with the Precision Power PPI 3 way component speakers and a rocksford fosgate punch P600x4. Can I do a IB sub replacing the rear speakers and run the subs off the same amp? Or would I need to add another amp.

What else would I need to add / any recommendations on subs?
Are you using all four channels of the P600x4, or driving the PPI's off two channels? If you still have two channels available, then you could bridge the second channel and power a single sub...

I have heard good things about those PPI speakers, how do you like them?

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had been planning on installing a 4 channel amp in my 12 speaker Shaker car, going with the Precision Power 3 ways and using the OBDII programmers I got from oemradio awhile back to program out the processing of the head unit, however Im weary of odd loud or low door chimes, loss of or low navigation voice output. all issues Ive read about. is this a legitimate concern?

JayTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Are you using all four channels of the P600x4, or driving the PPI's off two channels? If you still have two channels available, then you could bridge the second channel and power a single sub...

I have heard good things about those PPI speakers, how do you like them?
Running them off of 2 channels with crossovers. I like the PPI speakers. They produce some nice sound but I just want more bass.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Anyone have any problems with their amps overheating in the spare tire well seeing as how it's covered?
Sponsored