Do you consider the GT350 a Shelby?

Do you consider the GT350 a Shelby

• Total voters

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
While the new GT350 might not have the "soul" as the original GT350. I believe it has the most soul you will find in a modern age vehicle (IMO). Anyone who knows me knows that my entire life I said I would never own a vehicle produced after the millennium. Then Ford comes along with their fancy flat-plane crank V8 GT350 and made a damn liar out of me.
Sponsored

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
While the new GT350 might not have the "soul" as the original GT350. I believe it has the most soul you will find in a modern age vehicle (IMO). Anyone who knows me knows that my entire life I said I would never own a vehicle produced after the millennium. Then Ford comes along with their fancy flat-plane crank V8 GT350 and made a damn liar out of me.
I'm not saying the new GT350 doesn't have soul or performance etc. I'm just saying if I had my choice between 65-66 or 15-18 hands down for me would be the 65-66.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Have I driven a R? of course not. Have I driven a 66 gt350? Yes once. My dad owns a restoration business and I had the chance to drive an original 66 GT350 over 25 years ago. Although I didn't race it or track it, I can say I have more experience in classic cars then 98% of the people on this forum. Something that annoys me is when someone assumes they know more or assumes that someone younger has less experience then themselves. Just because I'm 45 and you're 65+ doesn't mean I have no experience in classic cars. To me classic cars are the ones with soul and character. As much as I love my 16 track pack, it lacks the soul of a classic. I can say the same about my all original 1956 f100 compared to my 2016 F150. Sure the 16 F150 is more comfortable and is nice and shiny and has better performance , but it lacks the soul. Same goes for the 65-66 GT350 compared to a new GT350. THIS IS my opinion. It won't change.
:cheers:
Interesting that you go onto tell all of us that you have more experience than 98% of the people on this forum with respect to classis cars.

Talk about assumptions!!

Carry on and I hope that you come to appreciate your 2016 Track Pack car a little more and if not I suggest that you move onto something else.

Last edited:

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Didn't the original 350's just have some bolt on mods to the 289 motor? If so, that's not impressive in my book. The new GT350 has a purpose built motor specifically designed for this Mustang trim level. To me, that's far more impressive than the original bolt on treatment. SO I would say the new GT350 is a better Shelby than the original Shelby....if that makes sense.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
you guys quit messin with my head:headbonk:

it says it on the splitter and that's good enough for me

Sponsored

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I guess this means something different to each one of us. I personally love the fact that this is branded as a "Shelby" and I was dead set on getting a true "Shelby" color, which for me was Blue/white or White/Blue.

While I consider this car to be special from an engineering stand point, the fact that it has the Shelby badging and stripes absolutely makes this a dream package car to me.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
If you look up the vin of a Shelby built in the 60s it says it is a shelby.

If you look up a vin of a 2007-14 GT500 it says Shelby

If you look up a vin of a 2015-2017 GT350 it say Shelby

If you look up a vin of any "Shelby" tuned mistang that comes from Shelby America since 2005 it says Mustang.

Thatd why the GT350 os a real Shelby and whats coming out of Shelby America is jist a tuned car with a serial number.

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
If you look up a vin of any "Shelby" tuned mistang that comes from Shelby America since 2005 it says Mustang.

Thatd why the GT350 os a real Shelby and whats coming out of Shelby America is jist a tuned car with a serial number.
Last I heard, post-title Shelby conversions are recognized by SAAC. With no disrespect meant towards anyone here, they are the definitive word on all things Shelby, not an arbitrary poll or subjective opinions.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Have I driven a R? of course not. Have I driven a 66 gt350? Yes once. My dad owns a restoration business and I had the chance to drive an original 66 GT350 over 25 years ago. Although I didn't race it or track it, I can say I have more experience in classic cars then 98% of the people on this forum. Something that annoys me is when someone assumes they know more or assumes that someone younger has less experience then themselves. Just because I'm 45 and you're 65+ doesn't mean I have no experience in classic cars. To me classic cars are the ones with soul and character. As much as I love my 16 track pack, it lacks the soul of a classic. I can say the same about my all original 1956 f100 compared to my 2016 F150. Sure the 16 F150 is more comfortable and is nice and shiny and has better performance , but it lacks the soul. Same goes for the 65-66 GT350 compared to a new GT350. THIS IS my opinion. It won't change.
So you have more experience with classics than 98% of us? Dude, you are full of yourself. Just making a comment like that along with your other assanine generalizations tells me you're simply a troll. :dnftt:

Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
This question has been going on since the 69/70 Shelby's. Those cars don't fetch the prices that the early Shelbys bring today. Back then a Shelby coming out of Ford factory wasn't considered a true Shelby by many people. Not much has changed today. I have no opinion on this one way or another. I owned a 66 shelby with all the bolt on goodies and it was fun to take to shows. On the street it lost its punch once the newer performance models came out in 2003. The current crop of performance cars today are just astounding compared to the old 66 falcon chassis Shelby GT350. Kind of like a rotary phone compared to iPhone .....technology wise. .

Last edited:

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Interesting that you go onto tell all of us that you have more experience than 98% of the people on this forum with respect to classis cars.

Talk about assumptions!!

Carry on and I hope that you come to appreciate your 2016 Track Pack car a little more and if not I suggest that you move onto something else.

Look this is where you sometimes act like you know all.
You're in the 2% range. I know you know classic cars. I also know classic cars and maybe 1 or 2 others on this thread. But you're the one who threw the first assumption saying that you doubted that I ever driven a original gt350. Have you restored classic cars? Have you hunted down "original" or nos parts to restore a classic car and not use repo parts? Do you have the knowledge of taking a flat piece of metal and forming it into a finished product? How about making a die for a pullmax machine so you can restore damaged trim work or body panels? See my point? Do you or others fit into that 98% I'm going to say no, no you don't.
You sometimes want to be the mighty wizard because of your age and act as if someone younger then you lack knowledge in cars from your era. Just because something newer is available, doesn't mean it's better.
Like I said, the new gt350 is the best mustang to date, but "for me" I'd much rather have a 65-66 gt350. Is it as fast? Nope. Does it handle as good? Of course not. Does it look better? To me I love the looks of both, each for different reasons. And if a original 65/66 was sitting next to my 16 I'd choose the 65/66 first.

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
This question has been going on since the 69/70 Shelby's. Those cars don't fetch the prices that the early Shelbys bring.
I disagree to a point. 69/70 Shelbys are coming into their own recently, no doubt in part to CS's death. I've seen examples fetching near $150K, especially unrestored originals.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
So you have more experience with classics than 98% of us? Dude, you are full of yourself. Just making a comment like that along with your other assanine generalizations tells me you're simply a troll. :dnftt:
Ok so now I'm a troll?
Explain how?
How many people on this GT350 thread have or owned a car from the 70s or older? How am I full of myself? Just because I'm in that line of business my whole life?
PP001 assumed that because I'm 45 that I never driven a original gt350 because I myself would rather have one then my 16. Talk about full of oneself. He's quick to judge.
I consider myself more knowledgeable in classic cars then most on this forum. Do I know every classic car? Of course not. Have I or do I own some? Yes. And I'll bet to say that I've owned more then many here. Why am I being judged because of my choice? I like classic cars and like I said I'd rather have a 65/66 gt350 over my 16. PP001 is the one who's all judging someone because of his personal taste.
I have a right to my opinion.
By the way calling me a troll? You sold your gt350 and drive a dodge!
I had to make a new user name.
You may remember me as voodooo.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Some of the original Shelbys had a centrifugal Paxton blower on them. I would love to drive one of those. The original 289 installed in most Shelbys back in the day wasn't that much to talk about though.

I think the new cars are much better. The old stuff is neat, but not better in any way. Anyone who has worked on and driven 60s and 70s Mustangs for a lot of miles knows how crappy that front suspension is. The joy of trying to keep a recirculating ball steering box somewhat tight. 4 wheel drums! Manual steering and brakes! Z bar linkage clutches?
Sponsored