Do you consider the GT350 a Shelby

• Total voters

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
Great post. I have to add my high school "dream car"--the Dodge Daytona Shelby Z:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTL5yU5abe9NA2G04ZAAF5mQIKNp0hPKxbBnuFwpDhzywd_OvGb.jpg

(Performance in 1987 wasn't quite what it is today! ;) )

...also the Shelby CSX (Shadow)...

shelby-csx.jpg

...and the Lancer Shelby...

FL15_r0190_01-700x368.jpg

Good times, good times... :D
My first car was a 85 GLH Turbo! My dream car at the time was the GLHS Shelby omni of course! I used to terrorize the south side of Indy in my omni lol. In the late 90's a mid 12 second car would beat most of the cars running around then....including a lot of fox bodies!
Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
To many idiot GM and Dodge guys think the gt350 is sent to Shelby America by ford and that SA is doing the upfitting and tunig. I just seen on FB that many think this and thought how great the zl1 was coming from GMs plant and beating a specially modified car by SA.
Ignorant dumbasses.
They still keep talking about how MT picked the zl1 over the gt350r. I guess they don't read or watch the video.
Only the uninformed think this. Not sure why the need to call people who have a GM or Dodge car as "idiots". There are just as many, if not more, uninformed Ford owners.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
In the post modern era, the "Shelby" name is a licensing agreement, nothing more, nothing less. And it's a messy relationship at that too.

Roush Performance has a better relationship with Ford than Shelby Am does. Considerably better.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Equating? Good Lord, no.

Point being, all the back and forth is a bit silly. All I've ever wanted was a powerful engine in a Mustang that handles and brakes extremely well. The tacked on stickers, stripes, and badges don't contribute to any of that.
I don't think anyone is saying that the car performs better due to its naming. People are only saying whether they like the name or not and why. That's why I like that the new GT350 is understated. The badges are small and there aren't an excess of them. Get black and no stripes like I did, and the car isn't visually excessive in any way.

I still think it's a fun discussion to have. I don't agree with those that dislike the Shelby name, but they have a right to their opinion. The good thing is Ford didn't plaster SHELBY everywhere all over the car in giant glowing letters.

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
It was pointed out by someone in the know, that Carroll Shelby was involved with the early conception of our GT350s and fully endorsed the project before his passing.

So yes, that makes the GT350 a "Shelby" to me. In fact, I'd say it's the last true Ford Shelby that Carroll had some involvement with.

Perhaps this is why the next Mustang Halo car might not be called a Shelby GT500, as some rumors have indicated.

Sponsored

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Of course this is a Shelby, that's what it's named! Even when I called my insurance (State Farm) they went down the list of mustangs and it is specifically listed as "Shelby GT350" to them.

That being said, I don't consider this a "Cobra". :cheers:

Funny thing is, Ford Performance can make a car worthy of the "Shelby" name more than Shelby America can. :)
IMG_7609.jpg

Last edited:

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Stickers and stripes makes it feel faster.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Only the uninformed think this. Not sure why the need to call people who have a GM or Dodge car as "idiots". There are just as many, if not more, uninformed Ford owners.
Because no matter how you try to explain this to them they never believe a word you tell them. It's like arguing with them about how the F series out sells them. See my point.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Of course this is a Shelby, that's what it's named! Even when I called my insurance (State Farm) they went down the list of mustangs and it is specifically listed as "Shelby GT350" to them.

That being said, I don't consider this a "Cobra". :cheers:

Funny thing is, Ford Performance can make a car worthy of the "Shelby" name more than Shelby America can. :)
My dealer though this sticker was an R and was asking 92k for a 2017 GT350. Pretty nice when the selling dealer doesn't even know the two cars apart.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I call mine "The Shelby" when referring to it in conversation. So yes, it's a Shelby. It even says so on the window sticker as others have pointed out. It is way more in the spirit or Mr. Shelby himself than anything SA puts out now.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
My dealer though this sticker was an R and was asking 92k for a 2017 GT350. Pretty nice when the selling dealer doesn't even know the two cars apart.
When I was looking I had a salesman do the same thing when trying to locate one for me. He said there are Rs everywhere, look, see the window sticker. I informed him that was the registered trademark R, not a Shelby GT350 R. He said, oh.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
When I was looking I had a salesman do the same thing when trying to locate one for me. He said there are Rs everywhere, look, see the window sticker. I informed him that was the registered trademark R, not a Shelby GT350 R. He said, oh.
Yeah that registered trade mark logo just came out in 2015. It's new to the English language.

GRTWHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350
I may be one of the few people here that owned a 1966 Shelby GT350 and now a 2016 Shelby GT350. The original car was terrible to drive in the City (San Francisco). The clutch was so stiff, you had to put the car in neutral at stop lights just to give your leg a rest. Girls hated the car because it had side exhaust and no undercoating, so it was very loud inside and in traffic the exhaust fumes would choke you. My car was a "carry over" so it had all the teeth chattering suspension upgrades (konis, lowered front A-arms, heavy duty springs, etc.). This car was basically a race car that was barely legal for the streets (cops pulled me over for it being too loud). But let it stretch its legs and performance wise, it was a blast to drive hard; especially on my many trips down Highway 1 (pacific coast highway) to Santa Cruz. Now compare that car to the 2016 model, there is only one similarity - they both drive like a Shelby designed car. The newer models are every bit a Shelby. The engineers went to great lengths to emulate the performance of the original car and they, IMO, succeeded. You change the driving mode to sport or track and you feel the same "gusto" the original car delivered on the track. Yes, the newer car is more powerful, but it is a Shelby.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Because no matter how you try to explain this to them they never believe a word you tell them. It's like arguing with them about how the F series out sells them. See my point.
No. I don't believe in making blanket statements and generalizations. In the last 3 years I have owned a C7, GT350 and a Hellcat. I'm not one of "them" as you say.:shrug:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I may be one of the few people here that owned a 1966 Shelby GT350 and now a 2016 Shelby GT350. The original car was terrible to drive in the City (San Francisco). The clutch was so stiff, you had to put the car in neutral at stop lights just to give your leg a rest. Girls hated the car because it had side exhaust and no undercoating, so it was very loud inside and in traffic the exhaust fumes would choke you. My car was a "carry over" so it had all the teeth chattering suspension upgrades (konis, lowered front A-arms, heavy duty springs, etc.). This car was basically a race car that was barely legal for the streets (cops pulled me over for it being too loud). But let it stretch its legs and performance wise, it was a blast to drive hard; especially on my many trips down Highway 1 (pacific coast highway) to Santa Cruz. Now compare that car to the 2016 model, there is only one similarity - they both drive like a Shelby designed car. The newer models are every bit a Shelby. The engineers went to great lengths to emulate the performance of the original car and they, IMO, succeeded. You change the driving mode to sport or track and you feel the same "gusto" the original car delivered on the track. Yes, the newer car is more powerful, but it is a Shelby.
My '67 Cougar is set up to 1967 Group 2 specs from the old books, and I can attest to your assessment on the old stuff. But I love taking it out and the thumbs up I get every time it's out are some sort of approval. I love hearing that dual quad 289 bellow through the tri-y headers and side exhaust. Apparently everyone else does too. :cheers:

My new car is invisible....
Sponsored