Sponsored

Do you change your own oil?

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
I used to always do my own but for the Mustang I will be letting Ford do it. For $33 per visit I can get an oil change, tire rotation, a new set of wipers every other visit, a state inspection sticker each year... That is a hard deal to pass up. I get my Jeep done by Jeep for $27 per visit.
Yuppers. I have Ford do it because it is cheaper, it's recorded, and I don't F'up my driveway. New filter and 8 quarts is almost or more than Fords price.
Sponsored

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
Did they at least tell you they damaged it or did you discover it after the fact?
Saw them try to drive the car onto a regular oil change lift then move it to a two post lift. I told them I wanted to inspect the underside of the car since I found a loose rocker panel and wanted to ensure the rest of the panels were on correctly. That’s when I saw the two marks on the otherwise untouched splitter. I let the service manager know and he was pissed. That oil change cost them a couple hundred.

Reactions: Ebm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Saw them try to drive the car onto a regular oil change lift then move it to a two post lift. I told them I wanted to inspect the underside of the car since I found a loose rocker panel and wanted to ensure the rest of the panels were on correctly. That’s when I saw the two marks on the otherwise untouched splitter. I let the service manager know and he was pissed. That oil change cost them a couple hundred.
Sorry you had to witness that horror man. That really does suck. But it sounds like all is right again, so that's good.

Deleted member 35644

I do my own, and here's why:

I made the trip to my family's farm in east Texas over the weekend for a getaway. My sister-in-law asked me to take her car somewhere to get the oil changed, as it was coming due shortly and she was running short on time. I was happy to accommodate. She drives a '17 2.3, a purchase she made soon after she took my '17 Mustang 3.7 for a joy ride.

I considered taking it to the local Kwik Kar, but wanted a Motorcraft filter used, so instead took it to the local Ford dealership's "Express Lube". What a mistake. If I'd had a crystal ball, I would have just bought a set of ramps and a filter wrench and changed her oil right there in the yard (there are no driveways or garages at the farm).

During the write-up process, I requested an upgrade to Mobil 1 (the only synthetic they offered), and confirmed that they use Motorcraft filters.

They pulled the car around, I paid, and was on my way. I drove straight to the local coin-op car wash, as my sister-in-law isn't great with keeping it clean. Since I love doing it, I took this opportunity to remove the layer of bugs that were hardened to the front bumper.

I worked on it for a while, between washing, drying, dusting and vacuuming. I decided when that was all done, I'd check the dealership's work. I pulled the dipstick after 30+ minutes of sitting on level pavement, and it read right at the bottom of the hash marks. I took a 2nd and 3rd reading. Same.

I called the dealership and told them I was returning for a top-up. They said they'd be waiting.

I parked the car on a level section of pavement outside the shop, raised the hood, pulled the dipstick, wiped it clean, and laid it across the engine to wait for the oil to make its trip back to the pan. A couple of minutes passed before the service writer, and the technician walked over to investigate my claim. They repeatedly jammed the dipstick back into the engine, wiping, and repeating about 10 times, seemingly hoping for a different answer. They finally acknowledged that it appeared to be lower than it should be, and the technician stated "I put in 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-20 like the work order said". I asked him to repeat himself. He said it again.

I then told the service writer that I wanted the oil changed again, and pointed to the text on the oil fill cap.

We went back into the office, where they began pecking on the computer in search of the correct oil specifications for the car. The computer confirmed 5W-30....which begs the question about why the work order says 5W-20.

The service writer then looked up at me and said "5W-20 won't hurt it any, but we'll do whatever you'd like us to do". I insisted they change it.

They didn't have the car 10 minutes before it was pulled back around, allegedly ready to go. I asked for a new receipt staying that 5W-30 was used. The service writer scribbled on the original receipt that the oil was replaced with 5W-30, and away I went. After that short amount of time, I knew there was no way they had changed the filter, and had serious doubts that they changed the oil vs. just topping it up.

I'm now at the point where I trust no-one, so I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home and picked up a quart of Mobil 1 15W-50. I checked the oil in the Wal-Mart parking lot, which read about 1/3 of the way up the hash marks. I added 15W-50 until it reached the pinhole above the hashmarks.

Textbook example of why I'm so grateful that I'm afforded the luxury of doing this stuff at home for my own cars, and why this Ford dealership won't be seeing any more business from my family.

Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I do my own, and here's why:

I made the trip to my family's farm in east Texas over the weekend for a getaway. My sister-in-law asked me to take her car somewhere to get the oil changed, as it was coming due shortly and she was running short on time. I was happy to accommodate. She drives a '17 2.3, a purchase she made soon after she took my '17 Mustang 3.7 for a joy ride.

I considered taking it to the local Kwik Kar, but wanted a Motorcraft filter used, so instead took it to the local Ford dealership's "Express Lube". What a mistake. If I'd had a crystal ball, I would have just bought a set of ramps and a filter wrench and changed her oil right there in the yard (there are no driveways or garages at the farm).

During the write-up process, I requested an upgrade to Mobil 1 (the only synthetic they offered), and confirmed that they use Motorcraft filters.

They pulled the car around, I paid, and was on my way. I drove straight to the local coin-op car wash, as my sister-in-law isn't great with keeping it clean. Since I love doing it, I took this opportunity to remove the layer of bugs that were hardened to the front bumper.

I worked on it for a while, between washing, drying, dusting and vacuuming. I decided when that was all done, I'd check the dealership's work. I pulled the dipstick after 30+ minutes of sitting on level pavement, and it read right at the bottom of the hash marks. I took a 2nd and 3rd reading. Same.

I called the dealership and told them I was returning for a top-up. They said they'd be waiting.

I parked the car on a level section of pavement outside the shop, raised the hood, pulled the dipstick, wiped it clean, and laid it across the engine to wait for the oil to make its trip back to the pan. A couple of minutes passed before the service writer, and the technician walked over to investigate my claim. They repeatedly jammed the dipstick back into the engine, wiping, and repeating about 10 times, seemingly hoping for a different answer. They finally acknowledged that it appeared to be lower than it should be, and the technician stated "I put in 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-20 like the work order said". I asked him to repeat himself. He said it again.

I then told the service writer that I wanted the oil changed again, and pointed to the text on the oil fill cap.

We went back into the office, where they began pecking on the computer in search of the correct oil specifications for the car. The computer confirmed 5W-30....which begs the question about why the work order says 5W-20.

The service writer then looked up at me and said "5W-20 won't hurt it any, but we'll do whatever you'd like us to do". I insisted they change it.

They didn't have the car 10 minutes before it was pulled back around, allegedly ready to go. I asked for a new receipt staying that 5W-30 was used. The service writer scribbled on the original receipt that the oil was replaced with 5W-30, and away I went. After that short amount of time, I knew there was no way they had changed the filter, and had serious doubts that they changed the oil vs. just topping it up.

I'm now at the point where I trust no-one, so I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home and picked up a quart of Mobil 1 15W-50. I checked the oil in the Wal-Mart parking lot, which read about 1/3 of the way up the hash marks. I added 15W-50 until it reached the pinhole above the hashmarks.

Textbook example of why I'm so grateful that I'm afforded the luxury of doing this stuff at home for my own cars, and why this Ford dealership won't be seeing any more business from my family.
Thanks for sharing your story. This is why I have been doing my oil changes since I bought my first car after during my second year of college back in 2007. Never looked back and have done engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid change, coolant flush, brakes (rotors+pads) and everything in between that I can with the tools and limit space I have. I do not trust anyone to put in the love and care that I provide to my car. The only time I go to an independent shop for work is for things I cannot work on due to lack of tools, space and/or knowledge.

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Been changing my own for 45 years. Know it’s done right and not by some kid that hates his job. How many oil change places do you think will pre fill your filter to prevent a dry start or put a bag over the filter to catch the oil that would otherwise run down the side of your engine?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I used to always do my own but for the Mustang I will be letting Ford do it. For $33 per visit I can get an oil change, tire rotation, a new set of wipers every other visit, a state inspection sticker each year... That is a hard deal to pass up. I get my Jeep done by Jeep for $27 per visit.
What Ford Dealership does an oil change + tire rotation + wiper blades for only $33???

I was at my Dealer last week, and for them to do JUST an oil change for an EB, it’s $62.00! I asked if they had any other pricing for the oil change and they said no - that their price was in line with all of the local competitor Dealers (not quick lubes).

That’s no BS and they won’t come down on price. To do an oil change PLUS rotate the tires, it’s $80.00! No free wipers either....

Are you getting coupons or something special to get all that done for only $33.00?

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
What Ford Dealership does an oil change + tire rotation + wiper blades for only $33??? I was at my Dealer last week, and for them to do JUST an oil change for an EB, it’s $62.00! I asked if they had any other pricing for the oil change and they said no - that their price was in line with all of the local competitor Dealers (not quick lubes). That’s no BS and they won’t come down on price. To do an oil change PLUS rotate the tires, it’s $80.00! No free wipers either.... Are you getting coupons or something special to get all that done for only $33.00?
It's a prepay thing. It is a three year nine oil change/tire rotation package for $299 that includes two state inspections and four sets of wipers. If you sell/trade the car in early it isn't transferable but you get a $500 credit towards the new car. You also get 10% off in the parts department. Any gas engine can be at this price, even a 2018+ 10qt oil change.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Been changing my own for 45 years. Know it’s done right and not by some kid that hates his job. How many oil change places do you think will pre fill your filter to prevent a dry start or put a bag over the filter to catch the oil that would otherwise run down the side of your engine?
That and it's the lowest paid monkey that's doing oil changes at ANY shop.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That and it's the lowest paid monkey that's doing oil changes at ANY shop.
Not always. Sometimes its the service manager working off steam after catching his wife in bed with the Dallas Cowboys.

EcoboostRacer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Just buy some ramps or jack stands with a good hydraulic jack and do it yourself. Keep receipts for your oil and filter and document all of it. Somebody told me that even CarFax will let you some how document your DIY maintenance. I have not confirmed this. Is that true?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Just buy some ramps or jack stands with a good hydraulic jack and do it yourself. Keep receipts for your oil and filter and document all of it. Somebody told me that even CarFax will let you some how document your DIY maintenance. I have not confirmed this. Is that true?
FYI: Ford lets you document your DIY maintenance.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP