Do I really need new lug nuts?

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
I’m shopping for wheels right now to go on my 19’ PP1. Every wheel shop is telling me that the oem lug nuts won’t fit aftermarket wheels. Can someone confirm this?
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
they are correct. need smaller lugs most the time.
not best photo, but you can see how small they are.

I THINK they are called acorn style? I could be wrong. idr. I sold car. I paid I think 60-70 bucks for my gorilla chrome lugs. but I can't remember where from but it may of been 50. I really dont remember.
IMG_7935.JPG

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
pretty sure it depends on the wheels. some forsure require aftermarket lugs but i doubt they all do.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
pretty sure it depends on the wheels. some forsure require aftermarket lugs but i doubt they all do.
correct, some of the OEM replicas style wheels let you keep the lugs, but most of the aftermarket guys use the smaller lugs from what ive seen.

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30
LMR has chrome and black spline drive lug nuts for $45

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
^^ concur. OEM lug nuts aren't the best.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Don’t forget the smaller size will reduce the torq of the lug nuts as well. Stock is in the area of 148ft/lbs (depending who you ask) and the smaller ones for my wheels are 105 ft/lbs

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t forget the smaller size will reduce the torq of the lug nuts as well. Stock is in the area of 148ft/lbs (depending who you ask) and the smaller ones for my wheels are 105 ft/lbs
I'd like to see the documentation on that. Torque on nuts is a function of the size and thread pitch of the stud, not the diameter of the nut. Now, maybe you have Ti/AL nuts which can't hold up to 120-150lb/ft of torque?

Almost all readily available nuts are made of steel so will handily support OEM values. They are commonly called 'tuner' nuts and range from 19mm to 21mm in diameter. You may need a thin-wall long socket (6-point or splined) to drive them.

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I'd like to see the documentation on that. Torque on nuts is a function of the size and thread pitch of the stud, not the diameter of the nut. Now, maybe you have Ti/AL nuts which can't hold up to 120-150lb/ft of torque?

Almost all readily available nuts are made of steel so will handily support OEM values. They are commonly called 'tuner' nuts and range from 19mm to 21mm in diameter. You may need a thin-wall long socket (6-point or splined) to drive them.
That was given to me by the nut manufacturer when I got the wheels and nuts. I thought the same thing and wasn’t sure why a smaller outer diameter would change but I don’t understand why the guy would lie to me…?

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
That was given to me by the nut manufacturer when I got the wheels and nuts. I thought the same thing and wasn’t sure why a smaller outer diameter would change but I don’t understand why the guy would lie to me…?

🤔 Maybe he wants your lugs to fall off when you're driving so you'll buy more 🤣

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I torqued my acorns to stock torque
No issues

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
By wheel shop are you talking about Willy's corner customer wheels shop or a manufacture, like the folks that advertize
Regardless, you should take the OEM lug nuts and throw them in a dumpster. Just do some basic research and you'll see why.

Not SO, you should follow you're own advice and do the research and the math. The truth will flabbergast you and blow that theory right out of the water.

The numbers that SO many like to spout, will confirm the error of that statement.

It's not the nuts it's the nut using the impact wrench.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
By wheel shop are you talking about Willy's corner customer wheels shop or a manufacture, like the folks that advertize

Not SO, you should follow you're own advice and do the research and the math. The truth will flabbergast you and blow that theory right out of the water.

The numbers that SO many like to spout, will confirm the error of that statement.

It's not the nuts it's the nut using the impact wrench.
This is from the manufacturer. I would imagine torque could also be effected by the width of the metal on the nut as well, no? Unless the theory is the weakest part is the threads in every single case, so you torque to that consideration first?
Sponsored