OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
As I mentioned earlier, I’m not a massive fan of some of the methods Whipple use.
The hoses for the HE/IC would be left basically bouncing around in the airbox if you followed their methods....

I’d rather over-engineer the living shit out of it and never have to worry about hoses rubbing and all the rest of the crap.

I jammed an 8mm rivnut in one of the factory holes, drilled a piece of nylon for test fit purposes, slammed some sheaving on one of the hoses (sheaving not supplied), wrapped a Pclip over it and checked for clearances to panels/filter etc.
All is good.

I’ll slam some sheaving and a P clip on the second hose, replace the nylon with stainless or maybe aluminium (whatever I can get my hands on for free :lol:) and then cover the whole lot up with the air filter :headbonk:

It’s overkill. It really is. I just like tinkering and not having issues down the track. :cheers:
CEFEC82A-8A16-4201-9F16-E74B00A5E470.jpeg

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Spent quite a bit of time mucking around with the airbox seal....
Originally I had some big plans for methods to seal it. The reality was that the fabrication time involved was just insane. I gave up :ninja:
Video here showing why I wanted to change it so badly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So, I found a much simpler path. Not as tidy as the original plan but perfectly functional and not too shabby looking. It isn’t 100% finished yet. Mostly some little tidy ups required.
The air box would normally be secured by the push pins that hold the wiring loom trunk in place. I opted out of that, putting some rivnuts in the factory holes, bolting both the shield and the wiring trunk in place. (No pics sorry).
That left me with the issue of how to seal the whole show...
I found some high density foam laying around. Seemed like I could make it work with some carefully placed slots.
53D10672-4E5A-4AEB-8361-526F5D2570E2.jpeg

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Cut a piece to fit the bottom, bridging the gap between the shield and the wiring loom trunk.
D0E5A126-2CD0-425E-84AD-39812CA333EF.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
A few more bits to fill the gaps between the shield and the bodywork.
Note: the red dots show where I’ll have to make holes to pass the hoses through.
7280170F-928D-4156-BD41-A91492FD33FF.jpeg

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
And then finally capped off with some plumbers foam lagging. In this case, I used the stuff they use on solar hot water pipes (140 deg Celsius rated).
The seal will actually continue all the way to the front when complete.
Also notice how the seal protrudes over to the absolute edge of the bonnet closure point. That one took a little extra calculating.
FABE5549-7DB6-4E4B-9649-5C80B41945EF.jpeg

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
So Burkey,

How goes this epic bit of DIY my friend?

All power to you for attempting. Has it hit a bit of a snag or are you just needing a break from it for a while?

All the best with it.

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Oh, and it seems that the top seal wouldn’t be able to bridge the gap to the hood liner either.....

Note how I’ve greased up some cable-tie off cuts, stuck them to the shield, closed the bonnet and then worked out the gap based on that.
I couldn’t think of an easier way to do it. If you have one, please share.

The fix will be as simple as lining the inside of the shield with some adhesive neoprene to prevent heat transfer into the compartment and probably some plumbers lagging (the black stuff) rolled over the top edge of the shield to make it seal to the bonnet properly. I’ll be leaving it open on the inner guard side simply because it’s a good potential source of clean air.

Whether this matters or not or even if it’s going to work, I can’t say for sure.
I’ll be sharing the pics of the final result once it’s done. :cheers:
Even though I'm not planing on any further mods. I am quietly following this thread. Totally admire your attention to detail and reporting. Can't wait to see the final result. Keep it up. cheers

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So Burkey,

How goes this epic bit of DIY my friend?

All power to you for attempting. Has it hit a bit of a snag or are you just needing a break from it for a while?

All the best with it.
Mr. Fiz...
A couple of small snags but nothing serious.

Sealing the airbox kept me busy for a bit, hoping to get that tidied up today or at
least over the course of the weekend.

I was going to drop the fuel pump in today also, but it turns out DW sent me the wrong kit. Right box, right pump, wrong install kit. Awaiting reply from DW on that one. I could just make it work but I’d rather use the stuff they supply.

Finally, I’m waiting for the compressor to arrive.
Picked one up second hand in the states. It won’t arrive until mid June :doh:
Alls I’m doing is getting all my ducks lined up for when it all happens.
Taking a week off work to do it. A day or whatever for the OPG/CS, a day or so for the blower, a couple of days to get the tune dialled in.
That’s the plan anyway.
We shall see how it goes ;)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Probably overkill, but when you have the time to play, why not?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Thats pretty cool. I too was disappointed with the airbox Whipple supplied. I am going to play around with sealing it a little better. One thing to consider if you haven't already is to open up the grill a bit. Made a big difference with my Steeda CAI.

I now took all the hexes out and put a Velossa big mouth in its place, so there is a nice direct route for cool air to get into the box.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thats pretty cool. I too was disappointed with the airbox Whipple supplied. I am going to play around with sealing it a little better. One thing to consider if you haven't already is to open up the grill a bit. Made a big difference with my Steeda CAI.

I now took all the hexes out and put a Velossa big mouth in its place, so there is a nice direct route for cool air to get into the box.
Cheers mate
VTBM is already fitted and the honeycomb completely removed from that side. I did that around the time I fitted the PMAS intake. The opening is actually quite handy for passing the leads through when doing the backlighting stuff :D

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Good to see you're still doing it right Burkey and not short cutting/forgetting about the details towards the end. Great install example, not long now mate.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Cheers mate
VTBM is already fitted and the honeycomb completely removed from that side. I did that around the time I fitted the PMAS intake. The opening is actually quite handy for passing the leads through when doing the backlighting stuff :D
:cheers: I was wondering how you did that!

Your going to love driving this thing when it's done, but I'll admit reading your thread makes me miss the fun of installing the blower.
Sponsored