PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
All done. Just needs the battery cover fitted and a slight trim where the blower meets the plastic panel above the firewall (note: my engine is lowered 1/4”, more trimming required for those that aren’t lowered).

Unfortunately, despite ordering the tune early (in case there was a mishap), I didn’t bother testing it (got caught up in the moment). Seems they got a digit wrong for the Ngauge serial number.
Tune won’t load.
Fortunately, Jon Lund has responded already and I’m expecting a fix as soon as they get in to work today. Excellent customer service as always.
I should’ve taken my own advice :crazy:

Nothing really to report on the install process. The instructions are generally pretty clear although sometimes slightly out of order.
EBA3E5A9-498C-4845-8DE2-A39E3BA408D6.jpeg
Hi Burkey. I see that you have your Whipple in the classifieds. Do you mind me asking why you took it off.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Burkey. I see that you have your Whipple in the classifieds. Do you mind me asking why you took it off.
Hey Peter, I haven’t actually, removed it as yet. Waiting for a buyer.
Reason: I want something more aggressive. The Whipple is great, BUT, it won’t peel the tyres off the rims from low revs in the tall gears. Most people would find this to be a good thing I suppose.
It’s very fast, I just hate traction.
I guess you could say that I have a different driving style to most. :bandit:

Reactions: PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Ha Ha that put a huge smile on my face Burkey. I thought you might have been going the opposite and wanting a more stock drive. Was I wrong.
I have been wondering lately how a supercharged S550 is like as a daily driver or even a weekend driver. Seems like a lot of US owners do the SC mod but I only hear how good...or bad they are at the strip. How is your driveability in city traffic and what has your whipple done to fuel consumption.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ha Ha that put a huge smile on my face Burkey. I thought you might have been going the opposite and wanting a more stock drive. Was I wrong.
I have been wondering lately how a supercharged S550 is like as a daily driver or even a weekend driver. Seems like a lot of US owners do the SC mod but I only hear how good...or bad they are at the strip. How is your driveability in city traffic and what has your whipple done to fuel consumption.
Lol.
Drivability is 100% linked to the tuner. Lund have it sorted so that you need to use a fair bit of throttle before the bypass closes, bringing on boost. It’s literally like stock until you get into it.
I have a second tune that is FAR more aggressive in terms of pedal. Much harder to drive “nicely” but you learn to deal with it.
I can’t talk about fuel consumption except on the highway. 10L/100 is pretty normal at 110km/h
Probably the biggest change in terms of a daily with a blower is the exhaust. I’m now running the least offensive commercially available Catback (MF STREET) with a couple of big arse hot dogs and it’s still pretty damn loud once the boost hits. :headbang:

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This might answer questions re: how loud is loud?
That’s a fully prepped track, 11.5” bias plies @ 10psi. Whipple kills them off the line.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What's the next charger going to be?
Edelbrock 2650 with some extra sauce.
The Whipple will delete tyres from 2000rpm in third on the right day but on really hot days it needs 3500 (sometimes a little more) to do the same job.
The low rpm urgency of the TVS rotor pack “should” make the tyres redundant in third gear in pretty much any weather/rpm. Possibly fourth gear on the right day.
It won’t be to everyone’s liking, that’s for sure.
If e85 was readily available I’d just keep the Whipple and go that way but the nearest option is an 800+ km round trip. No good.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Lol.
Drivability is 100% linked to the tuner. Lund have it sorted so that you need to use a fair bit of throttle before the bypass closes, bringing on boost. It’s literally like stock until you get into it.
I have a second tune that is FAR more aggressive in terms of pedal. Much harder to drive “nicely” but you learn to deal with it.
I can’t talk about fuel consumption except on the highway. 10L/100 is pretty normal at 110km/h
Probably the biggest change in terms of a daily with a blower is the exhaust. I’m now running the least offensive commercially available Catback (MF STREET) with a couple of big arse hot dogs and it’s still pretty damn loud once the boost hits. :headbang:
That fuel consumption is amazing. Mine averages 13L/100km! I guess that I just always thought that adding a supercharger would be similar to hotting up the older 351's etc of the 70's and needing the fuel tank to be constantly refilled.
And referring to your later post, if I was going to supercharge I would go with the Edelbrock as well. It invokes nice memories of a 65' 289 that I once added Edelbrock heads and carbie to.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That fuel consumption is amazing. Mine averages 13L/100km! I guess that I just always thought that adding a supercharger would be similar to hotting up the older 351's etc of the 70's and needing the fuel tank to be constantly refilled.
And referring to your later post, if I was going to supercharge I would go with the Edelbrock as well. It invokes nice memories of a 65' 289 that I once added Edelbrock heads and carbie to.
Yeah, as long as the bypass valve is open, there’s really no change in fuel economy. Once you’re on boost though, you can suck a tank down pretty damn quick.
I’ve never taken much notice of the proper average so I really can’t comment.
I didn’t even look at the original Edelbrock blower simply because the 90mm TB wasn’t large enough to flow properly at the top end. The fact that the 103mm adds roughly 1psi boost when compared to the 90mm pretty much tells the story. Free HP. For reference, the 103mm still doesn’t flow quite as much as the 132mm of the Whipple....
On an auto car I’d be very wary of dismissing Whipple. As far as I can tell, the only place where the Eddy makes more power is the early part of the rev range (the part that an auto car won’t really use when you go WOT).

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What would drivability of the Edelbrock be though? Similar in that there's a bypass valve so you could have it going easy if desired?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What would drivability of the Edelbrock be though? Similar in that there's a bypass valve so you could have it going easy if desired?
Drivability is 100% related to the tune, not necessarily the selection of the blower (unless you’re running the supplied tune, in which case you’re stuck with whatever they give you, which won’t always be great, particularly if you prefer a different strategy of some description)
The bypass is triggered by vacuum, or more accurately lack of vacuum. Eg. The spring holds it shut, vacuum opens it. Ergo, idle = high vacuum = bypass open = drives like stock.
The trick here is that with a big TB, it doesn’t take a great deal of blade angle before you lose enough vacuum to trigger the bypass closure.
Some tuners have mastered this better than others.
Being able to talk to your tuner and get what YOU want is probably the key.

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Nice. I'm a big believer in custom tunes once going a certain level. In my preivous turbo i had generic up until a certain level then i went custom and it was unreal. I plan Lund with the GT but when i evntually go blower i'll be doing custom for sure.

I'm more inclined for the Roush or Edelbrock variety as the cost isn't nuts, and with that same cost as just Whipple i could ensure i've got coilovers and any other little suspension stuff i want...That and i don't need max RPM boost since already by the top of 2nd you're pushing Aus limits so that kinda boost would be track only for me where as low down i could use a lot more often

Mcgyver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic 6 Spd Manual
hey Burkey have you gone ahead with the 2650!E-Force yet?
Impressions in comparison to the Whipple???

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase