Diode Dynamics Switchbacks and BCM / Tail Light Issues

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
My DD switchback bulbs arrived today, but now I'm seriously considering returning them and buying the OPT7 instead.

There has been some discussion about the OPT7's not playing well with the "smart" charging system. Any idea if that has been sorted?
Only issue with them is when using Auto lights mode, they dont come on white during the day. I believe OPT7 now offers an additional harness as requested to fix this problem though. If not it can be fixed in Forscan too.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Only issue with them is when using Auto lights mode, they dont come on white during the day. I believe OPT7 now offers an additional harness as requested to fix this problem though. If not it can be fixed in Forscan too.

I have seen on their website where they declare that the white isnt on unless the lights are on. I havent checked my car, but have noticed on other mustangs that the stock front marker lights are not normally on as DRL's. I wondered about tapping into the DRL line that is right next door, but that would dump 12V onto the whole parking light bus unless the OPT7s have a dedicated plug that isolates it. I suppose some diodes would solve the problem, but it seems that if forscan can turn on the front markers as DRL's that would be the best way to go.

My concern with the OPT7s is there seem to be many reviews that had problems with them not working, or only working for a short time (a few weeks). I thought maybe an old design or incompatibility with the 2015 MY, but I have found some as recent as November 18 that still had the problem.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
I have seen on their website where they declare that the white isnt on unless the lights are on. I havent checked my car, but have noticed on other mustangs that the stock front marker lights are not normally on as DRL's. I wondered about tapping into the DRL line that is right next door, but that would dump 12V onto the whole parking light bus unless the OPT7s have a dedicated plug that isolates it. I suppose some diodes would solve the problem, but it seems that if forscan can turn on the front markers as DRL's that would be the best way to go.

My concern with the OPT7s is there seem to be many reviews that had problems with them not working, or only working for a short time (a few weeks). I thought maybe an old design or incompatibility with the 2015 MY, but I have found some as recent as November 18 that still had the problem.
Forscan changes would be easier and simpler for sure.

I haven't had any issues like that. I did just have one LED go out but it took over a year to happen and theres a 2 year warranty. I havent seen many bad reviews so I think I'm an exception not common. I wouldnt let it stop you from buying them.

Bumzo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT PP
I had a set of JDM allstar switchback LEDs (off amazon) and was having issues with the taillights. The dealer reflash the BCM and it worked fine for about a year but started to do it again. I was already having issues with those LEDs falling out of the socket due to a loose fit so I just decided to swap back in the stock halogens. I haven't had any issues since switch back to the halogens. I'm looking at possibly getting the OPT7s just because I really hate the orange look.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I haven't had any issues like that. I did just have one LED go out but it took over a year to happen and theres a 2 year warranty. I havent seen many bad reviews so I think I'm an exception not common. I wouldnt let it stop you from buying them.
I didn't let it stop me... The OPT7 Arrows w/clear lens arrived and I installed them this past weekend. They are working fine and look fantastic, all that yellow if finally gone. Time will tell how well they hold up. Fingers crossed that I don't have to go to the trouble of getting them out of the vehicle again...

The box they arrived in looked nothing like the advertising photos (plain brown cardboard - not black)... had me worried about them being new old stock with some old firmware or design or something. OPT7's website had some information about a design revision in October of 2017. Hopefully, long enough that no outstanding old design stock is still available on the market. At any rate, they are working fine so far. I'll have to keep an eye on them, since I won't normally be able to tell if they are acting up from inside the car.

I ordered mine through Amazon, but only after confirming with OPT7 that the specific listing was actually their marketplace account. If you don't get them through their approved distribution network there is no warranty.

Maybe we can convince OPT7 to include some waterproof plugs for the marker light connector that is no longer used after installing the Arrows. I shot some dielectric grease over the contacts and taped them up. Hopefully they will not go to crap over the years to come.

Sponsored

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
I had issues with my brake lights not working with the DD switchbacks. I put in the stock lights and issue went away. I also had been using some resistors to stop the hyper flashing so that might have been part of the issue too.

I've got my eye on the OPT7 now. Those look nice.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
ArrrrrGUH!!! I spoke too soon... Apparently they only work correctly when the engine is not running. Since my car was on a steep incline during installation I did not start the engine.

If the engine is running with the lights off the turn signals do not work. Their timing is all messed up. They try to sequence but instead they "fibrillate".

I thought OPT7 had this sorted. I guess I'll see what they say... It will be VERY disappointing if they do have it sorted but shipped me new old stock knowing full well that they were sending me crap and that I would have to install them to find out.

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
I read some model years needed a resistor harness. not sure if this was incorporated in the redesign you spoke about. I purchased my lights from the opt7 website and I had to check which year I had which makes me wonder the difference. I would give them a call and see if anything else us needed.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Yes it was my understanding that only the 2015 needed the resistor (mine is '16) and that they had incorporated (or at least included) the new resistor with all new units. Which should have negated the need to select the model year... I have emailed them already so we will see how it goes.

No matter the outcome I'm already screwed for a repeat installation. Those bolts screw into plastic and if they are not perfectly aligned and timed to the existing threads they will simply cut a new thread path... Until there is no longer enough plastic left to hold the torque. Additionally, the fixtures snap into place, plastic on plastic, and are already showing signs of rubbing off.

How many reinstalls do I get before failures start to happen? Time will tell...

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
ArrrrrGUH!!! I spoke too soon... Apparently they only work correctly when the engine is not running. Since my car was on a steep incline during installation I did not start the engine.

If the engine is running with the lights off the turn signals do not work. Their timing is all messed up. They try to sequence but instead they "fibrillate".

I thought OPT7 had this sorted. I guess I'll see what they say... It will be VERY disappointing if they do have it sorted but shipped me new old stock knowing full well that they were sending me crap and that I would have to install them to find out.
Yes, same problem I had.

Apparently you can ask OPT7 for a set of additional harnesses to fix this. Or you can fix it in Forscan.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Depends on your definition of "working correctly"...

The car doesn't normally supply 12V to the front marker/signal bulbs with the lights in auto (unless it is dark out). So if you expect the Arrow white lights to be on all the time (as daytime running lights), then you are correct they won't work that way. The easiest and least invasive way to accomplish that function is to use FORscan to change the behavior of the car to include the front marker /signals with the DRL function.

I wasn't expecting the Arrow white marker to be on all the time. But I was expecting them to sequence properly. Before I get into the FORscan option, I'll see if OPT7 can get it sorted. I understood that OPT7 had developed a resistor harness for their unit to get it to work as they describe on their website. It should have been included with all new units. Maybe it was and the ones I received were both defective.

For the units I have, the white comes on and off as it should, but the amber sequence strokes out when the engine is running with the lights off.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Depends on your definition of "working correctly"...

The car doesn't normally supply 12V to the front marker/signal bulbs with the lights in auto (unless it is dark out). So if you expect the Arrow white lights to be on all the time (as daytime running lights), then you are correct they won't work that way. The easiest and least invasive way to accomplish that function is to use FORscan to change the behavior of the car to include the front marker /signals with the DRL function.

I wasn't expecting the Arrow white marker to be on all the time. But I was expecting them to sequence properly. Before I get into the FORscan option, I'll see if OPT7 can get it sorted. I understood that OPT7 had developed a resistor harness for their unit to get it to work as they describe on their website. It should have been included with all new units. Maybe it was and the ones I received were both defective.

For the units I have, the white comes on and off as it should, but the amber sequence strokes out when the engine is running with the lights off.
Yeah, I had the same issue. I could deal with the lights not being DRLs (even though thats how theyre advertised) but the scattered blinker was the worst.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I received an email from Opt7 that was a little strange, I asked for clarification.

In the meantime, their email sounded like they couldn't get them to work on my 2016 GT... So I'll have to look into using FORScan to get the front turn signals included with the DRL's. That should get them working.

We'll see....
Sponsored