Sponsored

Dilemma: thinking of purchasing a car without cats when I live in a state that has emissions testing

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Good afternoon,

I found a car that I am super interested in. It is a 2015 GT with Vortec V-7 supercharger and a bunch of other goodies. The car has a Borla Attak exhaust...it has no cats. I live in a state (NV) that requires us to get our cars smogged/emissions tested annually. I'm wondering about my options. What would you do? Obviously I need cats and would have to have the car re-tuned by a shop here in Vegas. Chime in with what you think is the best route to take to get it emissions ready without sacrificing too much performance (dyno'd at 760hp on 91 and 850hp on E85).

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jpro

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I guess no one has any thoughts...LOL

Further info that I didn't provide initially: the current set up is Long Tube headers and the Borla exhaust. O2 sensors are intact. See the photo.

Even though they don't do a visual inspection in Nevada, I have read that having LTs will not pass emissions. I can't confirm this, so if you know whether or not this is true, let me know.

So...two options/questions:

1. Is there a way to keep the LTs, add high flow cats, keep the Borla exhaust, and pass emissions? After re-tuning, of course.

2. Would it be insane to switch back to regular headers, high flow cats, and keep the Borla? Don't know if I have ever heard of anyone going from LTs to stock headers LOL. FYI, the seller does not have the stock headers so I'd have to find some.

Thanks.

exhaust.jpg

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
It is probably not worth all of the hassle! Unless it’s too much of a good deal? Only you can decide if you need this car and you would not be happy with a different car.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Why does the passenger side header look like it's been thru a battle? Anything other than stock headers/cats technically won't pass visual inspection.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Why does the passenger side header look like it's been thru a battle? Anything other than stock headers/cats technically won't pass visual inspection.
It almost looks like there is an exhaust leak there.

Sponsored

charlied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Escape Limited
I wouldn't. I bought a 2013 gt with no cats once. Nothing but problems due to tune being removed to be sold. Started misfiring. A new tune wouldn't fix it. Save yourself the headache and never buy a car without cats.

OP
OP
jpro

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
It is probably not worth all of the hassle! Unless it’s too much of a good deal? Only you can decide if you need this car and you would not be happy with a different car.
This car is really awesome. Is it a good deal? Maybe...$45K for a 780hp S550 with 5k miles on it. It is white with black roof, GT500 front end, gurney flap spoiler, recaros (ehhhh they are cloth though). It checks most of the boxes on my checklist (wish it was newer than 2015 but only has 5k miles). I could definitely be happy with a different car, but the ones I would be happy with are much more than $45k (like a Mach 1). I sold my 350 because someone offered me an insane amount of $ for it, now I'm missing a manual Mustang.

True, I noticed the passenger side header as well. As I mentioned, in NV they don't do visual inspections, they just plug it in and take your money. LOL

It almost looks like there is an exhaust leak there.
Possibly...

I wouldn't. I bought a 2013 gt with no cats once. Nothing but problems due to tune being removed to be sold. Started misfiring. A new tune wouldn't fix it. Save yourself the headache and never buy a car without cats.
You're probably right. Just love the car though...

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Does it have a CEL on?
It's my understanding that no CEL means it will pass emissions inspection.
Maybe that's over simplistic, IDK. Where I live there's no visual inspection and the emissions inspection people just plug into the OBD port. As long as the CEL is not on I've always passed.
Of course I'm not running a modified car so that info could be useless

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
This car is really awesome. Is it a good deal? Maybe...$45K for a 780hp S550 with 5k miles on it. It is white with black roof, GT500 front end, gurney flap spoiler, recaros (ehhhh they are cloth though). It checks most of the boxes on my checklist (wish it was newer than 2015 but only has 5k miles). I could definitely be happy with a different car, but the ones I would be happy with are much more than $45k (like a Mach 1). I sold my 350 because someone offered me an insane amount of $ for it, now I'm missing a manual Mustang.

True, I noticed the passenger side header as well. As I mentioned, in NV they don't do visual inspections, they just plug it in and take your money. LOL

Possibly...

You're probably right. Just love the car though...
I know it has been stated multiple times in other threads. If you are wanting another manual mustang I would definitely get a Mach 1 as it comes with the Tremec and there are (not saying all) of those GTs with the Getrag transmissions have the gear grinding at times.

I may actually be mistaken and the 15-17 have a different trans vs the newer ones actually so that may not be applicable to my comment on the trans random gears grinding between shifts.

Plus the Mach 1s are awesome ;) just my 2cents

Last edited:
OP
OP
jpro

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I know it has been stated multiple times in other threads. If you are wanting another manual mustang I would definitely get a Mach 1 as it comes with the Tremec and there are (not saying all) of those GTs with the Getrag transmissions have the gear grinding at times.

I may actually be mistaken and the 15-17 have a different trans vs the newer ones actually so that may not be applicable to my comment on the trans random gears grinding between shifts.

Plus the Mach 1s are awesome ;) just my 2cents
Trust me...I've got my eye on two different Mach 1's at the dealership near my house. Inching closer and closer to pulling the trigger.

And you're right, the Tremec is just awesome. Need it. Want it. Miss it. LOL

I'm a frugal guy though (not a cheap guy, there is a difference). For example, I waited to buy a GT350 until I found one that was perfect for me that was for sale private party because in NV you don't pay sales tax on a private party sale. Insane, I know, but the savings from buying private party vs. a dealer are immense. There are no Mach 1's for sale private party that I know of.

Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Have the seller smog it before he sells it to you. That's actually the law in CA. Seller's responsibility.

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
Please let us know how you make out! I truly wish you the best of luck in what ever car you chose

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
Trust me...I've got my eye on two different Mach 1's at the dealership near my house. Inching closer and closer to pulling the trigger.

And you're right, the Tremec is just awesome. Need it. Want it. Miss it. LOL

I'm a frugal guy though (not a cheap guy, there is a difference). For example, I waited to buy a GT350 until I found one that was perfect for me that was for sale private party because in NV you don't pay sales tax on a private party sale. Insane, I know, but the savings from buying private party vs. a dealer are immense. There are no Mach 1's for sale private party that I know of.
Well if you wanted to try getting one from Granger you'd also save 5k+ being under invoice even if you did pay to have it shipped to you from there or road tripping it home. There is also that so don't forget!

Look forward to seeing what decision you make!

OP
OP
jpro

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Have the seller smog it before he sells it to you. That's actually the law in CA. Seller's responsibility.
Interesting that CA does it that way, but I can 100% tell you that long tubes with no cats won't pass smog here in Clark County unless the emissions guy is high. Wait...marijuana is legal here so maybe there is a chance of that!

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I just wouldn't buy a newer model car that's been chopped up like that. Modded cars are generally worth less than their great condition, low mileage stock counterparts. The supercharger adds to the value, but certainly not the amount it cost to purchase/install. Meaning if you spent 8k on a supercharger setup, you won't recover 8k in resale value. In my opinion 3-5k max.
Sponsored