Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Analog to digital is pretty much all about cost. Often, one digital unit can be used for multiple purposes unlike most analog instruments. And analog instruments are far more expensive to manufacture and maintain.
Yes, hence my comment in post #9, "assuming rock solid reliability of the analog counterpart". Who knows, the analogs might be the less reliable thing in ten years. No doubt I'd get used to the digital panel, especially if it's as configurable as many here make it out to be. Something more to play with.

Still, it would have been nice to have a choice. It seems like there's less choice the further up the Mustang heap you climb, whereas in, say, a Porsche, you can ala' carte your way to bankruptcy.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Sadly Dave, you're a dinosaur. So am I. Choice....something we lost a long time ago. If I had my druthers, my "GT500" would have just been a plain wrapper car composed of a few option choices - the big engine, the best brakes, and the best suspension, with a forged wheel and Michelin rubber. Gutted interior and the analog gauges you are so fond of. Sadly, the 1960's came and went.

But if you are hellbent on going retro with a new GT500 by all means, do it. Get on the phone, start buying up parts and take a very close look at the '20 wiring schematics. The mules used in development with GT500 powertrains and what seemingly started with GT350 cars, used them. Rough around the edges, but they worked in sync with what makes the GT500 tick.

GT500 development cluster1.JPG

GT500 development cluster and could be a manual.JPG

The photo directly above, when watching the 3 or 4 second snippet it came from, makes you believe they were testing a stick behind the Predator too.

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The photo directly above, when watching the 3 or 4 second snippet it came from, makes you believe they were testing a stick behind the Predator too.
Oh no you didn't! :wink: My clutch knee is calling for something else than a manual these days unfortunately, and certainly not the Workmaster 5000 clutch that was in my '07 GT500.

Sadly Dave, you're a dinosaur. So am I. Choice....something we lost a long time ago. If I had my druthers, my "GT500" would have just been a plain wrapper car composed of a few option choices - the big engine, the best brakes, and the best suspension, with a forged wheel and Michelin rubber. Gutted interior and the analog gauges you are so fond of. Sadly, the 1960's came and went.
Yessss, a more nondescript base version with cloth buckets (and RSD!), to which you'd option out as above and the DCT, nothing more....I'm practically drooling. We'd probably be two of about 10 people that would bite, sadly.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Yessss, a more nondescript base version with cloth buckets (and RSD!), to which you'd option out as above and the DCT, nothing more....I'm practically drooling. We'd probably be two of about 10 people that would bite, sadly.
A bar from Watson, helmet and harnesses, and a camber adjustment away from a true track ready beast. I'd gladly accept a CF roof skin, hood, and fenders in exchange for giving up the modern day amenities and cloth wheels. And I'd be grinning all day at being one of the two that bit.

I remember people laughing at the want for a '93R. Just look at them now on the auction block while the "luxury" non-R Fox versions are worth but a fraction, if they aren't hooptied up or in a junkyard somewhere. Crazy how it works...

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Depends on the car, but I do like digital gauges. I do believe that it is an overall improvement over the analog gauges, as you can see some cool information like oil temps, what gear you are in, etc..

With regards to the GT500, personally I think it would look better with the analog gauges. I feel like the digital gauge cluster clashes with the flow of the interior design because there are analog gauges for oil temp and oil pressure. It may not be a big deal for some but I do think it does interfere with the old school retro aesthetic design.

I do understand why it doesn't bother others but I have an attention to detail and appreciate subtle details. I don't think there is anything wrong with the digital cluster. I just feel that the analog gauge flows better with the interior.

Is it a deal beaker? Idk, but I do know that if you are going to drop +$70k for a vehicle you better make damn sure that you love everything about it. You have the right to be picky if you are going to spend that amount of money imo :)

Sponsored

MandoGt350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armando
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Is the digital gauge instrument panel available for the GT350 yet?
Sponsored