Sponsored

Digital dash swap rattle

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Auto 3.55 - X pipe,Roush axleback
I recently started having issues with a rattle noise coming from dash after digital gauge cluster swap. Anyone else having this issue?
Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I recently started having issues with a rattle noise coming from dash after digital gauge cluster swap. Anyone else having this issue?
I didn't do a swap, but my digital dash sometimes vibrates/rattles - there is a small black insert in the center you can pull out, this is the piece that rattles for me. I am gonna put some felt tape around the edges and put it back in.

OP
OP

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The bezel around gauge cluster?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The bezel around gauge cluster?
That was an issue on my Bullitt. Had to insert a piece of electrical tape at the right end of the chrome surround (with a small jeweler's screwdriver), and that did the trick.

OP
OP

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The area circled has some play. I hold it in and no more rattle noise. For me it’s the Chrome bezel also.
85544FD0-6A71-4BEE-924E-2D74633656D3.jpeg

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Mine was there but on the right side only. Inserting a piece of electrical tape where it ends quieted it. You'd have to do it on the left side.

OP
OP

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine was there but on the right side only. Inserting a piece of electrical tape where it ends quieted it. You'd have to do it on the left side.
I going to try that.

OP
OP

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dismantled everything and put a lot of foam behind cluster and also tucked some paper between chrome bezel piece around cluster and no more rattling. Thank God. It was driving me crazy.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Yes, that faux chrome bezel will rattle something terrible. I reinforced mine when I removed the plastic covering over the display panel. Best mod ever!

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
I did the digital dash swap on my 17GT and while awesome, I got the rattle a day later. Took apart and did foam. Was good for a day and rattled again. Took it apart and did more foam. It was good for a month.

Now today we had a ton of heat and it's rattling again, which makes me think the foam got unsticky and fell off inside.

I can hold in on the chrome surround on the left and it stops, so I did the electrical tape as mentioned above, but no dice.

I don't want to keep taking this apart as I'm afraid the pieces will eventually break or just get so loose they rattle anyway.

Does anyone have a permanent fix?

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
so, I found one thing that works, and that's this: MD Building 71464 3/8 Inch By 20 Foot Backer Rod (043374714647-1) (hardwareandtools.com)

While it worked GREAT in keeping the dash from rattling (moving front to back and 'bouncing' on the trim), when it gets cold outside, this backer rod creaks and such, so it's actually MORE noisy.

so that's out.

Still on the hunt for what is going to silence this digital dash for good.
Sponsored