Sponsored

Different Diff Fluid. Is it Noticeable?

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Im thinking of changing the diff fluids on my 17 GT soon. My car is stock power but I have suspension upgrades as well as wheels/tires upgrades. I don't track the car or anything but I do spirited driving from time to time.
From everyones' personal experiences, does using the "best" diff fluid actually make a noticeable difference? If so, can you explain what were the differences you observed?
If it is preferred to go with non OEM diff fluids, which brands should I use?
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You probably won’t notice a difference in just the fluid change, however it is an important maintenance item.

There are a few brands people swear by. BG Ultra Guard, Royal Purple, AMSOIL, Redline, etc. Depending on the brand, you’ll need a 4oz bottle of Ford Friction Modifier (for non-Torsen diff).

The factory weight I believe is 75w85 which is pretty thin. You can replace with the same or if you feel you fall into the harsh driving category 75w140, but that should really be for hot climates, hard use only.

You should also consider changing the transmission fluid along with the diff. Similar options for that as well.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
When considering anything other than the factory-specified oil, read up on the product and the applications it was designed for. Changing weights can do more harm than good (understood things change for people with equipment mods or those who track/race). Some aftermarket oils used in transmissions and diffs in-particular can be "too slippery" and wreak havoc with the internals.

OP
OP
Mr2raw

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I'll probably just buy OEM to keep it safe. Thanks for the inputs
Sponsored